Got the go ahead to buy a helicopter

I just did a bit of work on an R-66.

The smell of Leather and Jet A was quite intoxicating...

If I had a spare 800K I could go for it!:hairraise:

Chris

Chris
A R66 would be real nice once they decide to put in a real cyclic. That T shape is just plain goofy. Something in a MD500/OH6 might be okay. The biggest problem with helicopters is the time limited parts and the cost to replace them. Helicopters definitely puts an exclamation point on the phrase "If you want to make a little money in aviation, start with a lot!".

Chris

I know nothing about helicopters, but I have always been impressed by the Robinson success story. You see them everywhere. The 172 and 182 of helicopters. So it got me curious about the new R-66, is that as good a deal as the 22 and 44 compared to it's competition? Does Robinson have another winner on it's hands?

Pilot was standing next to me at the counter waiting to pay. I say (as I'm getting my credit card back) "You flying that 76?" He nods. "It's cute. Too bad y'all don't have a 92, that's a real helicopter."

His ego was visibly bruised as I walked off.

Aw, no need for him to feel bad, it's not like he was flying an airplane. :D

A R66 would be real nice once they decide to put in a real cyclic. That T shape is just plain goofy.

I thought the same, until I spent some time flying with a T-bar cyclic. It's got several advantages to a traditional cyclic, and only one real disadvantage that I can think of.

So it got me curious about the new R-66, is that as good a deal as the 22 and 44 compared to it's competition? Does Robinson have another winner on it's hands?

I doubt the 66 will have as big of an impact on the turbine world as the 22/44 have had on the piston world, but I'm sure it will be a very successful model. They just sold their 500th. I don't know the numbers, but I'm sure it costs quite a bit less to operate than a lot of other light turbines. It's a good solution for those operations where an R44 would be just fine, but someone demands a turbine for dogmatic reasons.

Aw, no need for him to feel bad, it's not like he was flying an airplane. :D

The funny thing is he could've caught me - I was in the Aztec that day!

I doubt the 66 will have as big of an impact on the turbine world as the 22/44 have had on the piston world, but I'm sure it will be a very successful model. They just sold their 500th. I don't know the numbers, but I'm sure it costs quite a bit less to operate than a lot of other light turbines. It's a good solution for those operations where an R44 would be just fine, but someone demands a turbine for dogmatic reasons.

I think that's accurate. It probably will take some R44 sales more than anything.

I thought the same, until I spent some time flying with a T-bar cyclic. It's got several advantages to a traditional cyclic, and only one real disadvantage that I can think of.
Trying to catch the floppy end while teaching students to hover was always a bucket of fun.:goofy:
But yeah it works fine. Frank said at the factory course the biggest reason for the T cyclic is it needed to be long enough to dull sensitivity. Short floor mounted cyclics would have been too twitchy. Weight and cost was just a bonus.

Does the R44 have to be rebuilt by the factory, or is that just the R22?

Back