Gleim or Jeppensen

JmG2102

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
JmG
Hi Folks, I am getting ready to start ground school and was wondering what would be the better option, Gelim material or Jeppensen. I had started my Studying for my PPL while I was in Afghanistan and purchased all of the study material from Gelim, Now that I am back in the US and getting ready to start ground school, (At 52 yrs old) I have been told that the school usually utilizes material from Jeppensen. My question is do I ask to use my own Gleim material or bite the bullet and get the Jeppensen package?

Thanks for any responses and I'm sure that this question has been asked a few times already.

CAVU,
Jon G
KCOS

My ground school required us to buy the Gleim book because we were working directly from it. I would call the instructor and make sure, but I would guess you need the correct text book for the class.

ASA? Gleim and Jepp are not the only choices. www.asa2fly.com

Bob Gardner

As Bob hints at, there are many players in the field. All are imparting the same information. But each does it in a different way and it's to the student to find the best vehicle. Much like all CFI's are tasked with teaching you the same skills/info, but each one does it in a different way, some better than others.

ASA's material, and Bob's "The Complete Pilot..." series is one of the better well rounded sets of materials. He does a good job of explaining not only the "this is what you need to know" but also the why and how to apply. And many dots get well connected as you proceed.

But as always, work with you instructor to determine which text will be used. The better instructors will assign reading homework as part of preparation for the next lesson. By using the same text as they are teaching from, it's easy to leave the lesson with the task of "read chapters 5 and 6" to prepare for take offs and landings. Otherwise you will have the challenge of determining on your own which pages you should be reading.

Don't overlook Gold Seal. Here you will get something that NONE of the other players will offer you - (1) access to a third of the lesson modules and all of the quizzing engine for free. Two other things you won't get anywhere else: (2) free access for your instructor so that he/she can monitor your progress, and (3) a forever money-back guarantee of satisfaction.

Go ahead and register and give it a thorough test drive before deciding. www.OnlineGroundSchool.com

Also, here's a free 70 page ebook you can download with one click:
www.FreeFlyBook.com

Last edited:
I would just use what you have. I had already read the Complete Private Pilot when I went in for my first lesson and refused to pay $400 for the Jepp kit the school sells. No need to pay again to have the same information presented differently.

Penny wise and pound foolish.

Use what the school (or instructor) recommends, as it will be most closely tied in with their curriculum. This is particularly important for Part 141.

Jepp is a bit on the expensive side, but it's still small potatoes compared to the flight time you are paying for. And it's really not bad. I'm partial to Machado, though. I don't like Gleim much.

Your instructor might be familiar with Gleim and may be fine with it. This is a question for him/her.

Last edited:
Penny wise and pound foolish.

Use what the school (or instructor) recommends, as it will be most closely tied in with their curriculum. This is particularly important for Part 141.

Jepp is a bit on the expensive side, but it's still small potatoes compared to the flight time you are paying for. And it's really not bad. I'm partial to Machado, though. I don't like Gleim much.

Your instructor might be familiar with Gleim and may be fine with it. This is a question for him/her.

Ditto on the comment!

Call the school you are attending and see if you can buy the book ahead of time so you can go through the book before the class. So when the class comes along you will be ready and you can ask any questions to fill in the gaps at ground school. (45 Year old student, you can do this).

Fill us in on your progress from time to time!

For self study I prefer the gliem material,also like the bags they give out at air shows.

I might note that insofar as ground school is concerned, when I taught ground school my students had no textbooks whatsoever. The reason that Gleim, the King Schools, ASA, Sporty's, etc sell test prep products is that people learn differently...for some, a classroom environment is best; for other, using a computer is best; for still others, reading a book is best. You are the only one who knows what works best for you.

Your instructor will provide insight into what supporting materials you need in order to fit his syllabus.

Bob Gardner

Jeppesen is on the bottom of my list for instructional materials.

If you want to drill and kill for the exam (alas this is the ONLy way to study for some of the inane questions on the test), GLEIM is the best.

If you want to learn something, there are some pretty good texts out there. Some of ASA's (some guy name Gardner , I think) is pretty good.

If you're flying with the PAFB aero club, you will need the Jepp student kit that is syllabus/training folder. If you're planning on doing their ground school you'll need the whole Jepp 141 ppl kit. You can knock the written out on your own using any of the programs listed here and the aero club has to accept you as written complete.

The aero clubs ground school is separate from the ground you get in the 141 syllabus, so if you can do it self study, no reason to take the ground school for a couple hundred extra bucks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I bought Gleim, ASA, Groundschoolacademy.com, and Dauntless. The dauntless app, for 50 bucks, was easily the best in my experiences and the cheapest by several hundred dollars. YMMV

They are both fine, I used Gleim as well as some online websites and I felt prepared. Gleim has books as well as a computer program and I felt like it was a good way to learn the material. You can't go wrong with either.

Last edited:
I did the King School for VFR, IFR and Commercial. It was corny but I learned quickly. P

Used Gleim for my PPL and am using it for my IFR (which I go take tomorrow).

The questions on their practice tests are pretty much identical to the real test. Take enough of them and you are guaranteed to do well.

Back