gear leg protector?

GeorgeC

Administrator
Management Council Member
Display Name

Display name:
GeorgeC
Is there a self-adhesive plastic that can be applied to landing gear legs to protect them from getting dinged up?

Is there a self-adhesive plastic that can be applied to landing gear legs to protect them from getting dinged up?
3M makes several tapes, some transparent for use in situations, like this. I've put it on prop edges, helicopter blade edges, etc as a protective barrier. The only down side is the transparent ones will yellow over time and require replacement. Just make sure the underlying pain is in good shape. I can get you the tape P/Ns if you want?

Do you have to worry about moisture and corrosion under the tape if the paint on the gear leg or gear leg fairing/cover already has chips with exposed metal? (Or eroded prop edge with exposed metal?)

The only down side is the transparent ones will yellow over time and require replacement.
No problem, my gear legs are already yellow ;)
I can get you the tape P/Ns if you want?
Please, and thank you!
Do you have to worry about moisture and corrosion under the tape if the paint on the gear leg or gear leg fairing/cover already has chips with exposed metal? (Or eroded prop edge with exposed metal?)
I assumed chipped/rusty spots would need to be touched up first.

Last edited:
We used a clear heavy duty clear or black 3" wide protective adhesive film on the leading edges of our formula car wings to prevent abrasion of the paint/carbon fiber. The mechanics called it 'helicopter tape' and it was high dollar stuff (surprise there...). I suppose that is what @Bell206 is referring to. I've seen, what I think is the same tape, applied by Cessna on the leading edge of the horizontal stabilizer of C206's called anti-abrasion tape. I think this was the stuff- 3M 8671 Polyurethane Protective Tape.

Last edited:
Please, and thank you!
As mentioned, the 3M brand tape is a bit pricey but I think its worth it. In refence to the "helicopter" tape comment, yes its the same stuff used for erosion protection on main rotor blade leading edges and same for props as well. However, I have seen some of the knock-off tapes PU tapes available from some speed shops which may work for your L/G legs vs a blade or prop. Its cheaper too. The are other 3M tapes out there with better performance but I think they're a bit overkill for what you need and on cost. If we were talking helicopter MR blades it would be different.

Looking at the easiest, most economical route for you, below is what I'd recommend. Its sold by the foot in both cases. The 8672 tape has better puncture resistance in my opinion. And I would definitely follow the 3M application instructions found on the Spruce page or 3M site for best results.
3M 8561/8562 Tape
3M 8672 Tape
Do you have to worry about moisture and corrosion under the tape if the paint on the gear leg or gear leg fairing/cover already has chips with exposed metal?
I assumed chipped/rusty spots would need to be touched up first.
Definitely need to prep/ensure the underlying coating are in best shape possible and clean. But once the tape is down moisture/corr are usually not an issue unless the tape is compromised or the initial prep was done properly. Regardless the above tapes should give you what you need but if you have a decent speed shop near you might be worth a call or visit to check on their tapes. Back in the day when aviation stuff was first gaining traction in a wider market for racing, etc. I used to supply some of the local speed racers with AN fittings, hardware, and other items they didn't have direct access to like today.

Go to Aircraft Spruce and search "polyurethane tape". Multiple products and widths from 3M.

My belief is the use of tape and “ decorative coatings” should be

evaluated post - install on airfoil surfaces.

First I’d like to state I am a fan of Prop- Guard as it reduces stone damage.

Second bud tells of 182’s and others that had sub-par climb performance

after painting span-wise stripes on the Leading Edges. His uncle had him

blend the aft edge of the stripe with sandpaper and performance was

restored. The thought was the added paint acted like ice.

Could certain airfoils be more or less tolerant of “ mini- mods”?

I just ran low on some Bowlus gap seal tape I use at the wing roots on my Sky Arrow, and ordered another roll.

In the link below, it’s explained why the seller thinks it’s superior to the 3M product.

It’s available in different widths. Can’t see why it wouldn’t work well on gear legs as well.

Back