G5 Install question

edessa

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
edessa
For those that have installed G5s, did you replace your strobes and NAV lights with LEDs for the GMU 11 installation in the wingtip?
Did you have to or just wanted to replace them at the same time.
I am planning the installation and have a single power supply for both the beacon and strobes in the tail section of the PA-28-140.

I didn't install my G5s or the GMU11. But I was there during and took pictures and asked questions. I was shown a hand made bus cable with a shielding sleeve over it. It passed all tests with stock factory nav and strobe lights. I flew it close to a 1000 hrs with stock lights. Then I put in WAT led nav lights with no problem. Then I had to replace a factory strobe with no problems. Then the strobe power supply quite working. I replaced it with a WAT power supply for the original strobes and still no problems. Got about 200 hrs on the new power supply for the strobes and all is good.
043_4.jpg

026_4.jpg

It's never easy to replace this stuff because I had to remove the rib to do it.
(edited)_(edited)_IMG_3443.png

Last edited:
My installer did not have to replace any lighting. The strobe wires were adequately shielded, and there was no issue with the nav lights or with the LED drop-in bulbs I replaced them with.

I didn't install my G5s or the GMU11. But I was there during and took pictures and asked questions. I was shown a hand made bus cable with a shielding sleeve over it. It passed all tests with stock factory nav and strobe lights. I flew it close a 1000 hrs with stock lights. Then I put in WAT led nav lights with no problem. Then I had to replace a factory strobe with no problems. Then the strobe power supply quite working a few hunderd hours later I replaced with WAT power supply for the original strobes and still no problems. Got about 400 hrs on the new power supply for the strobes and all is good.
043_4.jpg

026_4.jpg

It's never easy to replace this stuff because I had to remove the rib to do it.
(edited)_(edited)_IMG_3443.png
Thanks for the info.

My GMU is in the tail, but I had another magnetometer it was replacing, don’t forget to keep it away from the autopilot servos.

Piper Arrow here. My GMU 11 is in the tail. Installed early 2020. Already had led position lights. Anti-collision light is the strobe type. I haven't had any issues.

Back