Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
tinerj
Typically, at a small, untowered airport I encounter four "no" signs, such as,
No children on ramp unless accompanied by an adult
No unattended aircraft unless chocked or tied down
No fuel in unapproved containers
Some of these could be made positive ( Fuel in approved containers only) but my point is this: seldom do I see a sign that says WELCOME.

Suppose a nonflyer comes in to ask about lessons. They will see a chain link fence, a bunch of "no" signs and not a single "welcome" sign.

I'll bet they have the obligatory "Learn to Fly" sign. It's usually white background and green letters. Some focus group probably found that inviting.

What you call No signs are really just reminders not to be criminally stupid. Help me with why the wording is an issue?

Should someone "maybe" allow unattended children on the ramp? NO
Should unattended aircraft "ocassionally" be left unchocked and unsecured? NO
Should fuel EVER be in pepsi cans? HELL NO

I find the giant fences surrounding most airports to be sufficiently intimidating to drive off would-be pilots.

I find the giant fences surrounding most airports to be sufficiently intimidating to drive off would-be pilots.

It also keeps the deer and other wildlife near the runway! :mad2::mad2:

It also keeps the deer and other wildlife near the runway! :mad2::mad2:

When I was flying up in Alaska, the fence would trap the bears inside as I guess they aren't the smartest creatures and took some time to get back out. Saw the same one for about 2 weeks I think.

4 NO signs,

1. No children on ramp unless accompanied by an adult

2. No unattended aircraft unless chocked or tied down

3. No fuel in unapproved containers

new math..?? :lol::lol::lol:

Some of these could be made positive ( Fuel in approved containers only) but my point is this: seldom do I see a sign that says WELCOME.

Suppose a nonflyer comes in to ask about lessons. They will see a chain link fence, a bunch of "no" signs and not a single "welcome" sign.
Not only does our airport have a "Welcome" sign, it has an even rarer "Thank you for your business -- please come again!" sign at the exit! :)

Since January we have been based at the best airport I've ever been to, TP McCampbell Airport, Ingleside, TX (KTFP). It is everything a GA airport could and should be.
:)

Some nos are necessary. But a WELCOME would be welcome, and that was my point.

4 NO signs,

1. No children on ramp unless accompanied by an adult

2. No unattended aircraft unless chocked or tied down

3. No fuel in unapproved containers

new math..?? :lol::lol::lol:

Samples, notice the "such as" in the original post. I saw a bunch others: No pets in FBO. No weapons. No admittance unless authorized.

Not all at the same AIRPORT, but an average of four before entering the FBO. Let's see, oh yeal, No fueling of boats or motorcycles.

Some Welcome signs are important.

I once pointed out the "Welcome to Jerome" sign as we entered the pilot lounge to my cross country student. Then mentioned, I thought we were going to Gooding. :)

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

Not sure what part of the country you are flying in, but here in the southeast most of the small airports are pretty friendly. Here is the back side of the welcome sign at my home airport. When you are taxing in it reads "Welcome".

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    686 KB · Views: 34
Some Welcome signs are important.

I once pointed out the "Welcome to Jerome" sign as we entered the pilot lounge to my cross country student. Then mentioned, I thought we were going to Gooding. :)

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

Now.... That's funny right there.... I don't care who you are...:rofl::lol:

The not-tiny-but-not-huge municipal airport where I fly has none of those things. In fact, someone not paying attention, or with malicious intent, could drive right off the street, past the hangars, and out on to the runway. There's also a nice clean terminal building with no no signs. Yet every weekend there are folks, pilots, non-pilots, and random folks, sitting on the porch watching the planes.

I've flown to a bunch of muni airports around that are smaller and larger, and most of the ones that have the big fences and the no signs also have zero people around and a dirty and locked-up tight terminal. Maybe its a coincidence.

All kidding aside, OP is right.

We've turned all our aerodrome's into mini Area 51's.

Back