ForeFlight reported turbulence

DaveInPA

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Dave
This is an interesting new feature I’ve started playing around with. The source of the data is anyone flying around with a sentry device and opted in. Raises a question however…anyone that can fly above 7k or so (turbo normalized) you got to think they don’t need or have a sentry device. Maybe my perception of who uses a sentry is off base but is that really the only source of this data does anyone know? Curious to see how many report will exist at 8-10k where I’m usually flying my Seneca. They even have a subscription for altitudes above 14 k…

This is an interesting new feature I’ve started playing around with. The source of the data is anyone flying around with a sentry device and opted in. Raises a question however…anyone that can fly above 7k or so (turbo normalized) you got to think they don’t need or have a sentry device. Maybe my perception of who uses a sentry is off base but is that really the only source of this data does anyone know? Curious to see how many report will exist at 8-10k where I’m usually flying my Seneca. They even have a subscription for altitudes above 14 k…
Arizona guy here. Normally aspirated Archer 180hp. Routinely fly at 9,500 to 10,500 on central AZ flights. Across New Mexico, 12,500 to 13,500 not uncommon. 16,500 achieved a few times working cloud tops, I think that was the limit. I’m thinking 7k is not the limit for non turbo normalized. I have a Sentry. I routinely fly just to the East of Phoenix across multiple Arrival routes, sometimes above, sometimes below heavy traffic. Have been manually assessing potential turbulence issues for years. I’ll be curious to see how this feature works out.

Last edited:
I'm not sure why you think airplanes that fly above 7000 wouldn't have or need a Sentry. I also don't see the connection with turbochargers. Lots of NA and turbo airplanes flying above 7000 that are just normal, everyday GA airplanes and use Sentries like anyone else.

I think the concept is great. But the "issue" I do have this new Foreflight capability is that it's tied to the portable Sentry ADS-B In receivers. Well, as time goes on, more and more people will end up replacing their transponders with ADS-B In/Out transponders and therefore won't need the Sentry anymore. Like me - I have a Sentry and used to use it a lot. But now that all the planes I fly have ADS-B In/Out transponders, it sits in my drawer. And if it's in my drawer, it's not reporting turbulence.

So I like the concept but am afraid that over time, the number of inputs will dramatically decrease.

We just got the new skypath app. It connects to wifi and uses two iPads and their accelerometers to send and receive turbulence reports to a central server for rebroadcast.

I'm not sure why you think airplanes that fly above 7000 wouldn't have or need a Sentry. I also don't see the connection with turbochargers. Lots of NA and turbo airplanes flying above 7000 that are just normal, everyday GA airplanes and use Sentries like anyone else.

I think the concept is great. But the "issue" I do have this new Foreflight capability is that it's tied to the portable Sentry ADS-B In receivers. Well, as time goes on, more and more people will end up replacing their transponders with ADS-B In/Out transponders and therefore won't need the Sentry anymore. Like me - I have a Sentry and used to use it a lot. But now that all the planes I fly have ADS-B In/Out transponders, it sits in my drawer. And if it's in my drawer, it's not reporting turbulence.

So I like the concept but am afraid that over time, the number of inputs will dramatically decrease.
Are we sure they only use sentry? I would think they use any ahrs or gps data.

Are we sure they only use sentry? I would think they use any ahrs or gps data.
It uses the data from the accelerometers in Sentry and Sentry+ receivers, which is why it's a free layer for people with those devices.

Maybe more is planned in the future (and I hope so), but for now, it's just that.

A recent ForeFlight update asked for access to iDevice accelerometer data, so I expect the fleet of devices capable of reporting turbulence to expand substantially in the not-too-distant future. Every device running ForeFlight could be a source of data, and not just those connected to a Sentry.

A recent ForeFlight update asked for access to iDevice accelerometer data, so I expect the fleet of devices capable of reporting turbulence to expand substantially in the not-too-distant future. Every device running ForeFlight could be a source of data, and not just those connected to a Sentry.
I hope so. That would only make sense.

But at least with a Sentry it's usually mounted in one position and left there for the flight. So it can calibrate itself as far as up/down etc.

A tablet, however, might be moved all around during the flight. Heck, if it's yoke-mounted it routinely is moved during the flight. They'd have to have some way to figure out that this movement is not turbulence but user induced.

I think it was just a cool "hey- we already get this info from our Sentry users; what can we do with it?" But may serve as additional reason to buy a Sentry if one is on the fence. I used that info the other day to decide not to go shoot practice approaches- was clear but lots of moderate and occasional severe turbulence reports on the layer made it clear it would be a miserable afternoon for practice.

Back