Foreflight on Android or Windows?

jnmeade

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Jim Meade
I don't necessarily want to do what the subject line says, but it does speak to my question - is there a way to run iOS on Windows or Android or to run Android on Windows?

Preferably on a tablet or laptop.

TIA

I don't necessarily want to do what the subject line says, but it does speak to my question - is there a way to run iOS on Windows or Android or to run Android on Windows?

TIA

No.

You can run IOS on Mac, but not in the way you want to. You can run IOS on a tablet though. Get an iPad. :goofy:

Impossible. ForeFlight would be smart to write an android version, but we'll see. I'd love to ditch my iPad for a nexus 7 and FF is the only thing in my way.

Garmin Pilot is another. There are quite a few.

None are as good as FF, but they are a lot closer than a year ago.

As an app developer, I'm guessing that the reason FF hasn't done an Android version is:

1) IOS users are *far* more willing to pay for apps.
2) IOS dominates tablet sales in the US (where most pilots are) for what I'll loosely call "real tablet users". i.e. not ebook readers, not tablets that are junk. At this point I really only put Nexus 7 out there as a competitor to iPad. This will surely change.
3) It's *tons* more expensive to develop for android because there are so many different devices out there.

Check out Avare. Free but not extremely user friendly. Better than it was a couple months ago. I am not at the xc stage yet so it may make more sense then.

Check out Avare. Free but not extremely user friendly. Better than it was a couple months ago. I am not at the xc stage yet so it may make more sense then.

Avare is an amazing value, but it requires manually choosing charts in clunky manner.

TIA

Check with Parallels or VMWare.

Anywhere map Freedom for Android.

An Asus TF700 beats any I thingy any day in my view.

Garmin Pilot is another. There are quite a few.

None are as good as FF, but they are a lot closer than a year ago.

As an app developer, I'm guessing that the reason FF hasn't done an Android version is:

1) IOS users are *far* more willing to pay for apps.
2) IOS dominates tablet sales in the US (where most pilots are) for what I'll loosely call "real tablet users". i.e. not ebook readers, not tablets that are junk. At this point I really only put Nexus 7 out there as a competitor to iPad. This will surely change.
3) It's *tons* more expensive to develop for android because there are so many different devices out there.

Or, as a developer with limited resources, they can choose to:
a) Add features to their existing app on Apple
b) Port the app to Android

There's no "right" answer to it, but resources are limited, and the company needs to decide where they can get the best ROI on their time and money.

Foreflight seems to have chosen (a). The marketplace will decide if they've chosen wisely or not.

If that's truly the case I'd say they've chosen poorly based on android current and projected market share.

If that's truly the case I'd say they've chosen poorly based on android current and projected market share.

That's their decision, and they will bear whatever consequences come out of it.

That's their decision, and they will bear whatever consequences come out of it.

Problem is that while pilots can get iPAD specifally for the flying, they usually already has a phone, and it is Android in 50%+ cases.

And actually Garmin Pilot benefited a lot from this gap in Android market, as it is the only FULL (I tried few others and no one is full) aviation application for android. It is not so mature as FF (or even as GP for Android) yet, but their android version has all features except maybe terrain, and they benefit on IPAD-s from having Android too (as I can have GP on android phone and on iPAD tablet for example, for the single subscription).

Problem was that Android tablets was actually very bad and unreliable until maybe 1/2 year back, but modern ones (Samsung for example) are excellent and technically are better then iPAD-s. So this is a very fast growing market. if FF choose don't work on it, they will lost part of iPAD market as well (because of need to have the same subscription on the phone and tablet).

(I posted my experience with G.P. on Samsung tablet in G.P. specific thread - very positive experience, I should say.)

Impossible. ForeFlight would be smart to write an android version, but we'll see. I'd love to ditch my iPad for a nexus 7 and FF is the only thing in my way.

I would be right behind you. The last program on my Ipad if FF. I am looking at portable Garmins as my backup plan if FF doesnt go Android.

Problem is that while pilots can get iPAD specifally for the flying, they usually already has a phone, and it is Android in 50%+ cases.

And actually Garmin Pilot benefited a lot from this gap in Android market, as it is the only FULL (I tried few others and no one is full) aviation application for android. It is not so mature as FF (or even as GP for Android) yet, but their android version has all features except maybe terrain, and they benefit on IPAD-s from having Android too (as I can have GP on android phone and on iPAD tablet for example, for the single subscription).

Problem was that Android tablets was actually very bad and unreliable until maybe 1/2 year back, but modern ones (Samsung for example) are excellent and technically are better then iPAD-s. So this is a very fast growing market. if FF choose don't work on it, they will lost part of iPAD market as well (because of need to have the same subscription on the phone and tablet).

(I posted my experience with G.P. on Samsung tablet in G.P. specific thread - very positive experience, I should say.)

I just purchased Samsung Tablets to hand out as X-mas gifts this year. I was thinking of keeping one for myself for flying.

I know nothing about I-Pads or these things. I have never owned one. I don't even like cell phones but I do like my laptop so maybe I would like a tablet.

But from the posts I take it not many apps for flying with the tablet? These things all look the same to me.

There's plenty of flying apps on android...just not the only one I've allowed myself to become addicted to (ForeFlight).

FltPlan.com has a very good app that I use a ton. It's getting to the point where it could replace ForeFlight. Just needs moving maps and I'm all in.

So i-pad is the only one with a moving map the samsung does not have this app? I know nothing about these things. Sorry if this is a stupid question.

I have been using Avilution which installs as Aviation Maps on android. It is very similar to Foreflight and has all the charts, High, Low, Terminal and Sectional (all moving map) plus all US approach plates. It isn't free. To get the charts you subscribe monthly or yearly ($59). I fly jets and props and it is very good in either. Moving map is good and for $20 more per year you get geo-ref approach plates.
However, I plan to buy an iPad mini and an Air for the jet if I can get the Stratus II to give me WX and TCAS. Toys toys toys.

Back