For Sale: Zaon XRX

JohnAJohnson

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
JohnAJohnson
Sold

This unit has been modified to turn on (info here) when power is applied. No need to turn it on manually when you power up your airplane or avionics bus. It also comes with the Zaon BlueLink adapter. Looks new, works perfectly, all original manuals and box included. $400 and I pay shipping to CONUS.

ZaonXRX.jpg
ZaonBlueLink.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the info on the power on pins, I have the same combo as you are selling but I use a Y-cable for the RS232 so I can run both the blue link adapter and a wifi dongle (for WingX) to feed two different devices.

Using this with WingX isn't very well known but works great.

T... I use a Y-cable for the RS232 so I can run both the blue link adapter and a wifi dongle (for WingX) to feed two different devices..

That's a great idea. I have used it (bluetooth only) with a few android apps and it's returns blend into the sectional right along with ADS-B or other traffic returns. I think the XRX could be useful to anyone without ADS-B OUT for many years to come. Nothing else really does the job at such a cheap price. I'd keep it but I've decided to go with a certified unit with ADS-B OUT and IN.

That's a great idea. I have used it (bluetooth only) with a few android apps and it's returns blend into the sectional right along with ADS-B or other traffic returns. I think the XRX could be useful to anyone without ADS-B OUT for many years to come. Nothing else really does the job at such a cheap price. I'd keep it but I've decided to go with a certified unit with ADS-B OUT and IN.

Keep in mind that having ADS-B OUT does not show you all the traffic that the Zaon does, since some non-OUT aircraft are below radar and ADS-B ground station coverage. Hard to put numbers on it, but my guess is (very roughly) that it's around 50% extra traffic shown by the Zaon at the moment (at lower altitudes), which will gradually decrease towards 2020 when (nearly) everyone has ADS-B OUT.

Last edited:
Is this powered by USB or Ciggie?

Sorta interested in the unit. But the club owned aircraft I would use this in has recently had it's ciggie removed and USB power ports added. And I doubt I could talk them into hardwire.

Trying to find USB port >> Ciggie outlet, but keep getting search results ciggy to USB. Any search help is appreciated.

Sorta interested in the unit. But the club owned aircraft I would use this in has recently had it's ciggie removed and USB power ports added. And I doubt I could talk them into hardwire.

Trying to find USB port >> Ciggie outlet, but keep getting search results ciggy to USB. Any search help is appreciated.

Something like this (http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/331742798242?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true) might work Mike. But you might have to go to Radio Shack and get the right connector for the XRX.

The Zaon requires 1A at 12V minimum, per its user's manual.
This would mean that, even at 100% efficiency, a step-up 5V->12V converter would draw around 2.5V from the source USB. If you factor in some real-world inefficiency, you'll need 3A or higher from the USB. My guess is that most USB outlets don't have much more than 2A, if that much.
In theory you could gang several USB outputs together, but that gets tricky and ugly.
My guess is that your aircraft still has the original 12V hiding under the panel, so all you need is a dedicated wire (ideally fused).

Last edited:
I just checked the Zaon manual (Appendix A, page 56) and it indeed takes a 1 amp fuse. The specs listed are as such:

Current 450-500 ma, 475 ma nominal

The unit I linked to on Ebay has the following specs (click on "View Details" and scroll down to "Specifications"):

Specifications:

Input voltage: DC 5V
Output voltage: DC 12V
Max input current: 2A
Max Output current: 750mA
(For 500mA or less application is recommended)

Personally, I'd try to find one that'll pass more current. There are quite a few on Ebay with various prices but this one, with free shipping, is probably worth trying at any rate. The package I have for sale contains a hard wire harness and a cigarette lighter harness, so you could cut off whatever plug this $1.74 one comes with, and solder on a female cigarette lighter socket, or solder on the hard wire connector and call it a day.

Aircraft does have the PMA450 audio panel that includes a USB Power port... From the Data sheet...

Portable Electronic Device Charging Port -- +5.0 VDC, 10 Watts from USB connector

Aircraft does have the PMA450 audio panel that includes a USB Power port... From the Data sheet...

Portable Electronic Device Charging Port -- +5.0 VDC, 10 Watts from USB connector

You could try that low-cost converter and see if it works, and it might just make it. If not, you can bug your friends to get that direct hookup. I think the Zaon is a great safety addition to any panel, even with ADS-B OUT/IN.

You could try that low-cost converter and see if it works, and it might just make it.
Too bad John isn't next door so I could try that.

If not, you can bug your friends to get that direct hookup.
It would be a very difficult sale. Club is 16 members, 2 aircraft, and we just spent a major chuck on the aircraft. The PMA450, Annual, New Fuel Bladders, Paint, replacement flap, odds/ends.

It would be a very difficult sale. Club is 16 members, 2 aircraft, and we just spent a major chuck on the aircraft. The PMA450, Annual, New Fuel Bladders, Paint, replacement flap, odds/ends.

If the Zaon spares one member one "close encounter", it would make that chuck last a lot longer.

I like my Zaon. The audio interface is goofy and dangerous in my opinion. The thing feeps loudly enough for me to hear it anyhow.

I like mine and is on every flight.

Back