Flying north through Ewr and NY airspace…

DaveInPA

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Dave
I often fly from Philly area up to Massachusetts, Vermont, or Maine and like to file IFR when flying through the New York airspace at 6-9k MSL. Sometimes if the weather is clear the IFR routing slows me down so I’ll fly VFR. Any NY center controllers out there that can tell me what path and altitude would be best so I don’t get in your way? Attached map is what I’d normally do at 7,500 feet…

Attachments

• IMG_0809.png
    IMG_0809.png
    5.6 MB · Views: 18
I would file direct, I have been cleared into the Bravo to sightsee, I found NYC Approach to be more than helpful even to someone who is new to the area.

Not a controller, but I've flown that area quite a bit. Seems like my recent IFR clearances from the DC area have taken me out toward AVP, although I can usually get a shortcut before going all the way to Scranton. VFR as you've depicted at 5500 or 7500 is fine. You'll be interacting with EWR arrivals north of Allentown, but NY App will keep them clear of you. The biggest issue is that NY App is often so busy these days that you either can't get flight following or they'll drop you.

Also not a controller, but I've flown the first half of your route VFR a bunch, PTW-BWZ-IGN or thereabouts, between 5500 and 10.5. Listen to guard, watch for drop zones (CKZ, FWN), wipe front to back, you'll be fine.

Overflying EWR is a sure way of not getting in the way of any arriving/departing traffic. Same with JFK if you're heading up the coast.

I agree with others that VFR right overtop seems the best. I've never had a problem getting flight following, particularly if my route is taking me directly overhead. Avoid planning a flight that will take you directly overhead and aligned with the runways in use however; you will become a conflict at some point on both the arrival and departure side. That said, controllers will often give you a vector to steer you out of that corridor.

...But not always: I flew directly over EWR one night from CT to the DC area. At one point, maybe 20-30 miles south of EWR, I was right in the thick of the arrival path, VFR at 7500. There was a conga line of EWR arrivals as far as the eye could see. The controller was descending them to 8000, establishing visual contact each time with each of us, and descending them as soon as they passed us. The controller never seemed to have a hint of annoyance with us even though I distinctly felt like a fish swimming upstream. Maybe I was just a fun challenge in his video game session, lol. Lesson learned: NY approach controllers* are awesome.

*As of a few months ago, EWR approach controllers are now with Philly approach (staffing issues?), but same difference, those folks are awesome too.

So, about EWR...

In a decade and change of flying in the DC area, I don't think I've ever seen an airliner below the bravo shelves (though, as it turns out, if you're beneath the the 33L approach to BWI, they can get pretty close).

There I was, near KILMA, about 15 south of EWR, northeast bound at 2500', under the 3000' shelf, when I see some eastbound arrival traffic at my 10 o'clock, same altitude. Luckily, being the traffic on the right, I had the right of way in my 140... actually, I dog-legged east a bit to let them go by.

So, are airliners-below-the-bravo a normal thing for youse up there?

Last edited:
I ♥ N90. 'Nuff said.

It doesn't look like going Wings->Barnes direct would save you much time or distance, but if you're willing to climb to 7,500 northeast bound or 8,500 southwest bound, you're above the Bravo anyway. Not sure why you'd be concerned about routing when VFR.

If you're specifically talking about IFR routing, I believe ForeFlight can give you the routing that the last X number of aircraft of your general description (i.e., single engine piston) between your airport pairs was given. That's just a database lookup of the clearances it handles and delivers. If you want to spend some time down a rabbit hole, play around in the FAA database of preferred routes.

Back