Flying in Austin or Houston, TX?

G-Man

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
AirmanG
A tradeshow/conference may take me to Austin, TX in mid-June, with a possible Houston visit. It'd be fun to fly while there.

Any recommendations on a good place to rent a steam Cessna 172 or similar with a CFI?
Recommendations on places to go?
Seems pretty far to pop over to another state?

Any cool events (aviation, sports cars, or otherwise) in Austin or Texas on June 13-14 or 20-21?

Thanks!

Great, we will have an excuse for another PoA dinner! :)
I cannot recommend any rental places, sorry, I own. But I am sure somebody will chime in with information.
Yes, traveling out of state takes at least a day but by plane it will be only a few hours.

Cool events? Traffic congestion! That's every weekday 6am-8pm, baby!! :)

Too bad you're not going to San Antonio... I hear the basement tour of the Alamo is fascinating! Highlight is this red bicycle....

I'ved used these two flight schools, I'm sure they'd be glad to send you up with one of their CFIs for an aerial tour.

At Bergstrom (KAUS) Above and Beyond is well thought off.

At Georgetown (KGTU) Beth Jenkins' Pilots Choice is an institution.

Call Joy at Texas Taildraggers and go fly her Stearman. That sounds like the most fun to me.

I trained with Anson Aviation located at the Sugar Land airport (Southwest of Houston at Alt 90/Highway 6). They have a single G1000 Cessna 172 and a number of steam Cessna 172s - N, R, S/SP models. There is also Success Aviation about 10 miles east on Highway 6 but I have a hard time getting them to return calls. There are other places in North Houston but I don't have personal experience with them.

Republic of Texas Biker Rally in Austin 6/11-14 if you like the motorcycle crowd. And by crowd I mean expected attendance usually in the 200,000 range. It takes over a good bit of the city and can be a blast.

www.rotrally.com if you want additional info.

Back