Fly-in fly fishing?

CJones

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
uHaveNoIdea
I'm just getting my feet wet (pun intended) with fly fishing. Unfortunately, I live ~2.5 hr drive away from the nearest decent trout stream in the north Georgia mountains. If the rivers ever go down in my area, I'll be looking to get a Shoal bass on the fly this fall.

Anyone know of any good fly-in fly fishing spots? You might just want to list the airport so you don't give up the exact location of your honey hole. ;) Not necessarily in the southeast, just seeing if there are strips sprinkled across the country where you can fly in and fish without having to pay some sort of 'resort fee' for someone to come to pick you up, etc.

I'm just getting my feet wet (pun intended) with fly fishing. Unfortunately, I live ~2.5 hr drive away from the nearest decent trout stream in the north Georgia mountains. If the rivers ever go down in my area, I'll be looking to get a Shoal bass on the fly this fall.

Anyone know of any good fly-in fly fishing spots? You might just want to list the airport so you don't give up the exact location of your honey hole. ;) Not necessarily in the southeast, just seeing if there are strips sprinkled across the country where you can fly in and fish without having to pay some sort of 'resort fee' for someone to come to pick you up, etc.

Almost all back country strips in Idaho have fishing access within a 1/4 mile or so...

http://troutprostore.com/streams/south_branch_potomac_river_west_virginia

Flying into W99 they will let you camp near the river on the airport. They have showers and I think picnic tables/grills available to campers for $10/night.

From the pictures i've seen it appears you may be able to wade in and fish right next to the airport. I'm not sure though, haven't done it.

Oh, I hope this is a little gem, because it sure looks like it.

You know what, now that I think about it, I think there's something like that at Gillespie County Airport (T82) here in Texas. I think it's called Ladybird Johnson Park or something and it's right on the field.

Last edited:
Woop! Another fly fisherman.

Come up to Taos (KSKX) and I'll show you a different spot everyday for as long as you want to fish. 70 degree mornings are just the icing on the cake. Right now were on dries and having a blast. Plenty of choices for fishing in any of the Rocky Mountain states.

I also fish Broken Bow, OK (90F) a lot, but not in the summer (too hot).

Probably too far for a day fllight but my town. Lewistown MT (LWT) has a excellent trout stream. The airport has a courtesy car and I have a spare bedroom. The creek runs under some of the shops downtown and you can sit in the Montana Bar and watch fish go by under the glass floor. I just took up fly fishing. My first time out I caught 3 sticks, a tree, a stump and I almost caught a beaver!
Ft Smith airport MT is about a block from the Big Horn River. I think they mostly drift boat that area.
Mad River OH (I54) has the Mad River at the east end of the field and I was told it is a good trout stream.
And what Ben said. Back country Idaho has great places.

Barb

Opening up a dead thread. Are there any other hidden gems that folks want to share?

It really would be nice to use the plane to get to some great spots. I haven't really had a chance to do any kind of fly fishing in a very long time and, like the OP, I would love to be able if it was convenient enough.

http://troutprostore.com/streams/south_branch_potomac_river_west_virginia

Flying into W99 they will let you camp near the river on the airport. They have showers and I think picnic tables/grills available to campers for $10/night.

From the pictures i've seen it appears you may be able to wade in and fish right next to the airport. I'm not sure though, haven't done it.

A buddy of mine has a cabin on the Greenbrier River close to Marlinton. I've flown into Richwood 3i4 to meet them for the day. It's a bit of a haul from the airport.

Opening up a dead thread. Are there any other hidden gems that folks want to share?

It really would be nice to use the plane to get to some great spots. I haven't really had a chance to do any kind of fly fishing in a very long time and, like the OP, I would love to be able if it was convenient enough.

You're in Dallas like me, broken bow is your best bet. They built a bunch of fly fishing habitat, rocks, streams, etc up there.

Really Gastons is a pretty damn good destination if you want good fishing. Lots of people travel from afar to fly fish there. A nice flight from Dallas.:

http://www.gastons.com/

The gulf coast. See what's available for guided fly fishing for reds, black drum, etc. All my life fishing in Alaska. A salmon stream runs through my front yard. My favorite fly fishing is on the Texas gulf coast. Reds are a good target for a beginner. Very aggressive biters and worthy fighters. Do guys fish reds in Georgia?

Gastons is the best - by far..

Another option is Mountain View (7M2). You might need to arrange transportation, but Blanchard Springs is AMAZING! You will need a trout stamp -but worth the trip!

(Several other places could be nice for fishing, but those two are the ones I know would be good for fly fishing.)

I'm going to catch hell for this from some other anglers but - KANK, Alexander field CO. Navigate your way to Spanish Peaks, then head about 300 and you will see a giant rock on your right. Navigate just to the left of that big rock(ridge lift) and follow the valley up past Silver West, then follow the Arkansas river to KANK. Park the plane, and the river is to your NE. You might ask for a ride, or just go out and stick your thumb out, with a fly rod, you'll get a ride soon. Go upstream if you can. If you don't have any luck hop in the plane and roll up to Central CO Regional. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Oh and, catch - release ya know?

RC0 Rock creek montana. On the banks of what might be the best fly fishing in America. Go in August and attend Testical Festival at Rock Creek Lodge.

RC0 Rock creek montana. On the banks of what might be the best fly fishing in America. Go in August and attend Testical Festival at Rock Creek Lodge.

Turn your head and Cough:D

Back