Flight Plan Filed -- Told to Expect Different Route

To the OP:
Since you're using Foreflight, if you desire to read/hear the words "cleared as filled" then learn to use the Suggested Routes feature.
Pick one that matches the type of aircraft you fly (eg turboprop, piston etc) and file.

Goes straight through, like corn through a cow.

Ding Ding - it usually works in our little dog-patch.. but lately we have had a thick marine layer and I am thinking ATC is pretty busy along the coast.

The other day, even though it was clear at KCMA, ATC was not accepting any "practice approaches."

To the OP:
Since you're using Foreflight, if you desire to read/hear the words "cleared as filled" then learn to use the Suggested Routes feature.
Pick one that matches the type of aircraft you fly (eg turboprop, piston etc) and file.

Goes straight through, like corn through a cow.
That's what I did for the flight home, and still got a different updated route.

Last edited:
File what you want.
Fly what you get.
Log what you need.

My first instrument XC work, I file, everything regurgitates fine. Call for clearance. They give me a completely different route. Fine, put that into the GPS. Take off, call approach. "We have a new route for you." Oh fun. Ready to copy. I write it down. Hey, this is what I filed initially.

Later, I'm up at OWD (south of Boston). File a rather straightforward (to me) route down V3 to MRB and then south to CJR. Again the computer accepts it, the regurgitated route comes back the same. Call up ground to OWD. He's about to read me the clearance and then says, no this isn't going to work. Hold on. A few minutes later he asked if I got my pencil ready and I get what I know to be the standard route... zig zagging through a few fixes, down the middle of Long Island Sound, pick up a Radial of JFK. Go straight over JFK, pick up V16 down to Delaware and then head direct to IAD (mind you they give me the airport NOT the AML VOR that sis on it) and then home.

Of course, there's always ROA who tells me in the middle of the flight they have a new routing, advise when ready to copy. I tell them I'm ready and they clear me direct CJR. I needed to copy that?

1. As far as i Know, you will almost NEVER get the route you request, get used to it.

2. You will almost NEVER fly the given route. seriously, sometimes i feel like i'm wasting ink copying down the complete clearance

from my experience, outside the busiest airspace and even then outside the busiest of times, atc does every thing in their power to get you on your way and out of their hair.

example, flying from kfws to kdwh, i'll get a clearance containing some common routing and a SID, most of the time i don't make it off the runway before they give direct kdwh

You will learn after the first dozen IFR trips not to put your full route into the GPS, only the initial fix and maybe one beyond that, because it is likely going to change anyway. There is plenty of time once your make the initial climb to cruise altitude to enter your updated clearance into the magic box. If you are lucky at some point you just get cleared to destination direct.

Back