Flight Bag

ScottB

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
ScottB
I have been looking around and I am having a hard time deciding on a good flight bag. Sporty's is suppose to have a good one, but I read reviews saying the compartment is tight for headsets. They specifically mentioned the David Clark's which I have. Seems strange that they couldn't get that right; they are one of the more popular headsets sold.

Can anyone give me some solid choices? I am a student pilot, so I don't need room for a ton of stuff, but I want a good one and something I can grow into.

Brightline. The basic one will do for now, but it's expandable. Holds everything and does it well. Very well constructed. www.brightlinebags.com

I used the $10 Jeppesen bag that came with my books until a month ago. I realized it was too small, so I just got a duffel bag out of my closet and am using that now. Along with a headset bag I got from AOPA for joining (this fits my DC's perfectly, along with my logbook and some charts), the bag fits the bill perfectly. Plenty of room for everything I need... Do yourself a favor and don't spend an hour's worth of flight time on a bag that has wings on it. You'll be much better served using something you likely already have.

Pickup a sturdy backpack. It'll hold everything, easy to carry, doesn't scream "STEAL ME, I've got lots of expensive stuff in here!", and you can use it for other purposes. And, it's considerably cheaper than any thing marketed for aviation.

Pickup a sturdy backpack. It'll hold everything, easy to carry, doesn't scream "STEAL ME, I've got lots of expensive stuff in here!", and you can use it for other purposes. And, it's considerably cheaper than any thing marketed for aviation.

Not a bad idea .... I guess being it is meant for aviation, it automatically costs more. LOL

More I think about it, the back pack the company gave me for my laptop would work pretty well. Doesn't have the compartments that are handy, but I get by for half the cost. :D

I just use a Hello Kitty backpack. I don't carry much plus it's hands free.

I started one of these threads a few months ago and ended up with the Brightline B10 after 90% of the responses recommended it. I could not be happier with the bag.

+1 for the Brightline. A little bit pricey, but you get what you pay for. I used to use a duffle bag but got tired of how disorganized it would become. The Brightline also fits great in overhead bins when you're travelling via the scarelines.

Did that for ten years. My Brightline cured all my backpack issues. Biggest problem, besides disorganized storage, was partially open zippers opening fully dumping the contents from time to time.

:yeahthat: Ended a 35 year quest for the "Perfect Flight" bag. Look no further. :yes:

If I only had found the Brightline before I spent enough on flight bags to do a panel retro... ;)

Save the bag money and get a fancy pilot watch.

You can certainly get a really spiffy bag from a pilot shop for $100 and up. However, if you want to get a perfectly good bag plus 10 gallons of avgas for the same money (and be sure it will hold what you want), put all the stuff you want to put in your flight bag in a cardboard box and haul it down to your favorite department store. Then go through the various bags they have in their luggage section until you find one that works for you for about 1/3 the cost of what you get at the pilot shops.

I just purchased this bag. My main purpose is to carry my ipad mini, flash lights, spare AA batteries, Icom portable radio, knife, leatherman, fuel stick, fuel cup, gopro hero 2 HD camera, and knee board. As for my headset, I use the headset case that came with my Lightspeed.

It doesn't costs too much and comes in Olive Drab, Tan, or Black color.

http://www.lapolicegear.com/tabaoutbag.html

Save the bag money and get a fancy pilot watch.
Chicks dig a pilot with a BIG fancy pilot watch.:rolleyes:

I've had a Jeppesen Aviator flight bag that I've been extremely happy with for over ten years and recently switched to the Brightline B10.

The Brightline bags are modular in design which will allow you to purchase just what you need for now and add on later if you need to.
My Brightline has so many pockets that sometimes the biggest problem is finding where you placed everything.

8591044844_9a2d84ca85_n_d.jpg
8589944443_e20d371f9b_n_d.jpg
8591043356_0d1ab470dc_n_d.jpg

Last edited:
Those Brightline bags look nice. I am thinking about a new bag that I can keep a change of clothes in in case I get stuck somewhere. I am spoiled because I keep so much in the plane, but I may end up with access to another plane and my want to keep my bag ready to travel.

Except for the initial purchase cost, is there any downfall to the big b25 carryall bag. Looks like you could configure it as you used it most of the time and add in the other parts as needed. Looks a little cheaper to buy it all at once. Every time I get close to pushing the buy button, I keep thinking that I should just keep my bag and put some clothes in a duffel.

I currently use the big sporty's bag. It is way bigger than I need 90% of the time and that is why I am thinking about buying a smaller bag. I think the B10 would be smaller and meet my needs 90% of the time, but if I am going to order it, I might as well order the whole thing and adjust as needed.

Just thought I would see if anyone had other thoughts/ideas.

Thanks,

Jim

Learn to fly helicopters and you will go minimalist. There is NO storage for a flight bag in the Swcheitzer unless you are solo.
Otherwize, I have a Brightline I bought from imcclubs.org which I am pretty happy with. It is the ORIGINAL which is not compatable with the latest version but so what. I still have no room to carry it and usually leave it in the truck.
In the past, I've used attache bags, duffle bags, backpacks, and so called purpose built flight bags. As ron said, whatever carries all your stuff works but remember, the bigger the bag, the more stuff you HAVE to carry!

Learn to fly helicopters and you will go minimalist. There is NO storage for a flight bag in the Swcheitzer unless you are solo.
Otherwize, I have a Brightline I bought from imcclubs.org which I am pretty happy with. It is the ORIGINAL which is not compatable with the latest version but so what. I still have no room to carry it and usually leave it in the truck.
In the past, I've used attache bags, duffle bags, backpacks, and so called purpose built flight bags. As ron said, whatever carries all your stuff works but remember, the bigger the bag, the more stuff you HAVE to carry!

There are so many struts and braces and whatnot on the Schweitzers I'm sure you'd find someplace to bungee it on!! :D

Back