Flight Aware Tracking Issue

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
Yesterday flew to an airport about 87nm west of me just so I'd have somewhere to fly to. Flight was KLOM-KSEG-KPTW. KSEG was in a valley in the mountains of central PA. I flew there, landed, exited the Runway to the parallel taxi way and taxied the full length of the remainder of the 4700' runway then turned around on the ramp and taxied back the 4700' to the runway and departed for a fuel stop about 15 miles from my home field. ( I did not shut down) FA has me tracked as flying from the home field out to the field initial field but not landing. Its lists the flight as flying from the home field to the fuel stop 15nm away via the distant field. The play back feature shows me descending to the runway and looks as though I just kept going and took off ( or never touched down) I've never see this happen before here is a link to the track https://www.flightaware.com/live/flight/N519PH/history/20241006/1837Z/KLOM/KPTW
How does it not have it as two separate flights. One to the field 87nm away and one from there to the fuel stop.

Probably no ADSB ground receivers there so FA is guessing based upon the data it has.

Yesterday flew to an airport about 87nm west of me just so I'd have somewhere to fly to. Flight was KLOM-KSEG-KPTW. KSEG was in a valley in the mountains of central PA. I flew there, landed, exited the Runway to the parallel taxi way and taxied the full length of the remainder of the 4700' runway then turned around on the ramp and taxied back the 4700' to the runway and departed for a fuel stop about 15 miles from my home field. ( I did not shut down) FA has me tracked as flying from the home field out to the field initial field but not landing. Its lists the flight as flying from the home field to the fuel stop 15nm away via the distant field. The play back feature shows me descending to the runway and looks as though I just kept going and took off ( or never touched down) I've never see this happen before here is a link to the track https://www.flightaware.com/live/flight/N519PH/history/20241006/1837Z/KLOM/KPTW
How does it not have it as two separate flights. One to the field 87nm away and one from there to the fuel stop.
F/A has occasional glitches. I was out of state (driving) and F/A said my plane was flying 1k miles from it's home airport. Panic wtf? manager opened my hangar to confirm plane was there. Relief at last

Probably just the way the FlightAware algorithm handles the data. We weren't on the ground at SEG for more than 10 minutes and never really stopped moving. Not sure if SEG has as a ground tower, although SEG is listed as a "reporting facility". The stop at PTW was for at least 1/2 hour, including a shutdown, so I would believe FlightAware considered that as the end of the flight.

FA is getting wonky. My wife and daughter are coming back from Bermuda to PHL today and thier flight was delayed two hours they have not departed yet. Although FA says they did and they are half way across the Atlantic.

Did ADSB-Exchange do any better?

It all depends on who has public receivers closest to the action.

Back