Fatal Crash XLL 9/28/2022 - CFI McPherson charged with Involuntary Manslaughter

I think he means the ACS is qual or unqual (using military terms maybe?). That versus qual, qual minus, and unqual. And that having the middle ground of “qual, but you need to improve this” would benefit.
I'm humbled and in awe of the keyboard warriors on this forum.

I think he means the ACS is qual or unqual (using military terms maybe?). That versus qual, qual minus, and unqual. And that having the middle ground of “qual, but you need to improve this” would benefit.

Thank you

A further problem I see with the ACS is that it doesn't have Q/Q- criteria. it's Q or U, which fosters myopia. Real life benefits from yellow lights.
My understanding, not being a DPE, is that the ACS gives the evaluator discretion in that you don't necessarily fail unless you don't take "prompt corrective action when tolerances are exceeded" or if you "consistently exceed standards." I'm sure the failure rate on the average FAA practical test would be much higher otherwise.

My understanding, not being a DPE, is that the ACS gives the evaluator discretion in that you don't necessarily fail unless you don't take "prompt corrective action when tolerances are exceeded" or if you "consistently exceed standards." I'm sure the failure rate on the average FAA practical test would be much higher otherwise.

I can’t speak to the DPE side, but from an AF Stan/Eval Flight Examiner perspective, the overall checkride gets a Q1 (Qualified), Q2 (Qualified but additional training required) or Q3 (Unqualified)

The sub-areas are graded Q (Qualified) Q- (qualified, but errors required debrief or additional training), or U (Unqualified). The exceptions are that some areas are deemed Critical Areas; those are Q/U only and safety of flight is Q/U only. a ‘U’ in a critical area or safety of flight requires a Q3 overall grade.

Generally speaking, Q2s always required additional training and that had to be completed before the next flight. The AT could be signed off by any qualified instructor but had to be completed before the next unsupervised flight. An overall “U” required additional training and a re-check by a flight examiner before flying unsupervised.

An example of what could result in a Q2 could be steep turns where the examinee continuously dropped to bottom of the acceptable altitude limits when rolling in and overshot the target altitude when rolling out. Safe, within limits, but the Q2 would require the applicant to go fly with a CFI until they could demonstrate proficiency in steep turns.

That’s a simplified example but I hope you get the idea.

Back