FAA verified logbooks

jaybee

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
jaybee
Anyone ever heard of this before ?

Having your pilot logbook "verfied" by the FAA that is. I guess if you go to the FSDO they will give you an endorsement ?

Last edited:
Well, yes, after my "good" landing they asked me to come in with my logbooks to verify them.

how can they verify anything? Its all kept by you. "Do you solemnly swear the entries in these logs are the truth . . . " Ok. That and 50 cents will buy a senior coffee at McDonalds . . .

Only time I ever heard if it is back when you had to obtain verification that you met the ATP flight experience requirements before taking the ATP written by having a FSDO logbook review and getting an Inspector-signed eligibility form, but that was eliminated quite some time back. Other than that, no.

What's the old saying,always leave a few spaces in the book ,for verification. Or log what you need fly what you want. As long as your not claiming PIC ,at the same time as another pilot,it's your signature.

Asking the Feds to verify your logs is along the lines of putting a fork in the power outlet.

Only time I ever heard if it is back when you had to obtain verification that you met the ATP flight experience requirements before taking the ATP written by having a FSDO logbook review and getting an Inspector-signed eligibility form, but that was eliminated quite some time back. Other than that, no.

How long ago was this?

I actually have the same question. I'm currently living in Argentina, and I want to get my FAA private pilot license validated here so I can fly. They require both my FAA license and my flight log book to be "validated" and also apostilled (like a notary, but more difficult, and for documents used in other countries). But I searched the FAA's web site and they don't say anything about validating an FAA license or logbooks. If anyone has done this, your experience would be helpful.

I have never heard of this nor would I ever anticipate the US Government would validate (basically swear / attest) that something in fact occurred, without extensive additional documentation behind each entry and each flight, as this is a liability issue.

Imagine ABC Express hires a 2000 hour TT pilot who (pretend the FAA indeed does this) came to the interview with "FAA validated" logbooks. They hire him to fly a Navajo single pilot freight.

Company does minimal background/followup to his TT because, well, "The FAA said it was so"

The pilot then can't fly a visual approach (uh, no, bad example, that would be Asiana 777 accident....) and crashes into a day care and kills 50 kids.

Investigation determines the pilot was a private pilot MEL with 300 hours TT.

Guess who is getting sued (successfully I might add) for zillions of dollars ?

I actually have the same question. I'm currently living in Argentina, and I want to get my FAA private pilot license validated here so I can fly. They require both my FAA license and my flight log book to be "validated" and also apostilled (like a notary, but more difficult, and for documents used in other countries). But I searched the FAA's web site and they don't say anything about validating an FAA license or logbooks. If anyone has done this, your experience would be helpful.

I ran into something similar.

Closest thing I've found for foreign "governments" is to go get an additional rating.

BEST one is a ground instructor once (just two writtens), fill out the 8710 with all your hours then take it to your friendly local FSDO, you'll have a ground instructor ticket and MOST IMPORTANTLY a 8710 with a breakdown of all your hours signed off by a faa inspector.

That's about the best way to do it IMO.

I have never heard of this nor would I ever anticipate the US Government would validate (basically swear / attest) that something in fact occurred, without extensive additional documentation behind each entry and each flight, as this is a liability issue.

Imagine ABC Express hires a 2000 hour TT pilot who (pretend the FAA indeed does this) came to the interview with "FAA validated" logbooks. They hire him to fly a Navajo single pilot freight.

Company does minimal background/followup to his TT because, well, "The FAA said it was so"

The pilot then can't fly a visual approach (uh, no, bad example, that would be Asiana 777 accident....) and crashes into a day care and kills 50 kids.

Investigation determines the pilot was a private pilot MEL with 300 hours TT.

Guess who is getting sued (successfully I might add) for zillions of dollars ?

Well he probably wouldn't make it past his 135 ride, and the PRIA would turn up that he only was a PPL.

Back