FAA changes re: mental health diagnoses

StraightnLevel

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
StraightnLevel
Interesting development....

A history of no more than two mental health diagnoses no longer requires automatic review by the FAA for any class of pilot certificate as long as certain criteria are met.

The added authority is over conditions that are NON recurrent, noncomplicated, and no meds or Tx for > 2 years....

This is an improvement, but it seems like it only applies to a narrow group that probably never should have been under much scrutiny in the first place.

This is an improvement, but it seems like it only applies to a narrow group that probably never should have been under much scrutiny in the first place.

Agreed. We're never going to break OKC out of their belief that a bureaucrat who's never seen the patient can make a better decision than a practicing physician who has.

The only way to change that philosophy is to replace the OKC philosophers, and I don't see that happening soon.

It that list only for anxiety and depression or we going to see a million I had ADHD or I don’t think I am actually crazy questions?

Not exactly...lots of additional details and criteria need be applied.

It that list only for anxiety and depression or we going to see a million I had ADHD or I don’t think I am actually crazy questions?
The list is for anxiety and situational depression. ADHD has its own pathways.

Hey, I'm a HIMS AME. Here's the summary:

On 5/29/2024, the FAA released some big policy updates for pilots/applicants with history of uncomplicated depression and anxiety. As in most government policy, the devil really is in the details. But in summary, if you meet very specific criteria and can show medical records to the AME that corroborate these criteria, you may be issued a certificate on day of exam!

For affected airman, this can shorten certification time from 3-12 months. That's really huge.

Big take home is that you may be able to get certified on day of exam, IF your records demonstrate that you:

1. Have history of one or two of the applicable diagnoses
  2. Never took more than one psychiatric meds at any given time
  3. Last symptoms/treatment was 2 or more years ago
  4. Negative in all columns on the applicable Decision Tool Worksheet
The other big point of discussion here, is if you think the above applies to you, be careful which AME you go to. If the AME isn't comfortable or aware of these changes, it could cost you months if not years to get certified. I'd recommend calling a few AME's in your area first, or even better, schedule a consult with a HIMS AME to discuss your particular case.

Once you go into an exam and your Med Express 8500 is opened by the AME, the clock starts ticking and they have only 14 days before they must submit to the FAA. If you don't come prepared with your medical records or can't get them in this time frame (it is super common for a clinic or hospital to take a long time to release records) then you may end up in the same position > Deferral while waiting for final FAA review and months later receiving a certificate you could have gotten day of exam!

Does this change have any effect if you were already previously deferred? Would it be possible to just go back to the original AME and if they decided to, give you your medical?

Back