Extending WiFi long distance to a monitoring device?

catmandu

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Catmandu
When we are at our part time property, we use phones as hotspots for daily data requirements. But I would like to install a WiFi enabled water flow monitor for the times we are away. There is a guest network we have access to 1,500 meters away with a clear line of sight, and we occasionally see it on WiFi enabled devices as is, although it is not usable. I would like to try an 18dbi Yagi antenna to boost the signal reception. Do I then need both a receiver and transmitter (say a client router wired to another router), or is there one box that can both take the cable from the Yagi and then broadcast the WiFi signal?

See the thread on wifi bridges.
That is what prompted my post, and I didn’t want to hijack that older post. My understanding is a bridge requires hardware at both locations. I do not have hardware installation rights at the location of the guest network, I just have usage rights.

If your router has a connection for an external antenna, you might well be able to connect a good directional antenna and aim it at the access point. Place the router in bridge mode, such that it is not handling DHCP, but just acting as a bridge, and it should work.

Other choice would be to get a transmitter-receiver pair - this is good if you have true access to the access point (ie, can plug a cable into it), and mount a device at the access point end of the deal. I use a pair of Cisco devices between my house and a guest house, maybe 250 yards? Works like a plugged-in cable. They are supposed to be good for 5+ km if aimed properly.

Edit: I see you have access to the signal, but not the hardware. A directionally-aimed antenna connected to a router in bridge mode should ring the bell for you.

Last edited:
A directional antenna on one end will help ensure your signal back to the source wifi will be strong, but it can only do so much for the signal coming out to you.

An analogy is that you and another person are far apart. You shout toward the other guy with a megaphone (like cheerleaders use), and he can hear you clearly. However, the other guy is talking normally and you can only make out a slight noise. You can put the small end of the megaphone up to your ear and it'll help amplify the other guy somewhat, but you may end up only hearing a slightly louder noise and still not be able to understand him, or only just barely understand some of what he's saying.

Point is, it's worth a shot, but keep some realistic expectations.

Last edited:
A directional antenna on one end will help ensure your signal back to the source wifi will be strong, but it can only do so much for the signal coming out to you. The analogy is that you and another person are 1500m apart. You're shouting toward the other guy with a megaphone, but the other guy is talking normally. You can put the small end of the megaphone up to your ear and it'll help amplify the other guy a little bit, but maybe not enough.

Worth a shot, but have realistic expectations.
Thanks. My little pea brain did not think of the Yagi as being two-way, but of course it is, like any router antenna must be. So I just need one box with at least two external antenna connections, one for the Yagi to use and one for my local device to use. I think I got it now, off to Amazon for some cheap returnable hardware to give it a shot.

Back