Experimentals - Basic Questions

Graueradler

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Graueradler
What information or mis-information I've gained by osmosis. When a homebuilt is finished, it gets inspected and assigned some time to fly off and then has achieved some sort of certification. The annual condition inspection is supposed to, among other things, confirm that the plane hasn't been changed sufficiently to invalidate that certificate. Would an engine type change invalidate that certification? Theoretically, what if an plane built with an Lyc. IO-360 had been changed to some version of an Lyc. O-320. Would it have to be "re-certified"?. What if the kind of engine was changed, say a Rotax is changed out for a Subaru?

Those would be major modifications that could trigger a return to test flying for some number of hours.

That could have been done with the FSDO for little cost. At least a well informed FSDO.....
It's called a "Major Change" and requires a new fly off of hours as previously mentioned. Happens all the time.

100% correct, and one thing you have to remember if buying an experimental that is still in phase one. It has been assigned an area where that flight time must be done. If the time has not been flown off and the airplane is mo0ved, you must contact your local FSDO and have a new area assigned.

100% correct, and one thing you have to remember if buying an experimental that is still in phase one. It has been assigned an area where that flight time must be done. If the time has not been flown off and the airplane is mo0ved, you must contact your local FSDO and have a new area assigned.

True - and there have been a few rare cases where the new and old areas were (relatively) close together and a ferry permit was granted to fly the aircraft from the old area to the new while still in phase one. It all depends on the individual circumstances and the FSDO personnel involved. Another interesting note - you are not required to conduct your phase one flights from an approved airport - you can fly them off your dirt strip in your backyard if you can do it safely. All you have to do is convince the DAR it can be done safely.

I am working on trading my Cherokee for an experimental light sport. I'm pretty satisfied with the physical plane but am just working on making sure that all the paperwork requirements are in order. The DER will be looking at it next week. It is going to need an amended certificate and a few hours flown off.

How do I check for liens?

I am working on trading my Cherokee for an experimental light sport. I'm pretty satisfied with the physical plane but am just working on making sure that all the paperwork requirements are in order. The DER will be looking at it next week. It is going to need an amended certificate and a few hours flown off.

How do I check for liens?

Better ask a Broker.

Back