Everything worked out and new bird is home!

Jthamilton

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Okie182
After passing some additional inspections I flew my new 2002 turbo 182 t home from phoenix yesterday. It performed flawlessly and I got to know it pretty well on the 6.6 hour flight home. Started at Deer valley in Phoenix and ended the trip in Tulsa after 805 nautical.

Flew for first time with oxygen which really turned out no big deal. Only bummer was the headwind the entire way. Fueled up in Amarillo and met some good people the short 30 minutes I was there.

The gentleman who flies the red bull helicopter was there fueling up and we spoke some, very nice guy! Does incredible things in that helicopter and my son enjoys watching him. I mentioned that it seemed like he had to end his show at Oshkosh prematurely on Thursday and asked what happened, turned out the heavy rains wednesday caused circuit breakers on one of the engines to trip from all the moisture.

Just flying halfway across America seeing all the scenery then how natural it was again to strike up conversation with folks at a small airport in Texas brought back all the good things I remembered about flying when stopped 8 years ago.

I haven't got to take my son up yet since getting home last night but I'm pretty confident it's the best thing I've spent any money on in a long time. He will love it when I take him to pick out his own personal small ladder so he can wash those leading edges off.

Best part is my son will be copilot on all the future hamburger/barbecue flights or short trips to see cool airplane museums like in Liberal, KS. Or mans trip to midland, tx.

Darn good money spent!

that is awesome. Congratulations - I can't imagine how excited you and your son will be to start flying together in the newest addition to your family!

Glad you got it worked out. Look forward to seeing you sometime, my best friend since childhood is a CPA in Tulsa, works with many MD's, office just east of La Fortune. Are you based at Riverside?

Any pics to share?? Regardless, congrats!

Thanks

I am out of Riverside. My cpa is in next to sjmc so doubt I know your friend.

One thing I was very surprised of was the weight up front, kinda nose heavy it seems. This After I have close to 300 hours in my old Cherokee 6 300. Im going up Wednesday evening just to do some maneuvers and learn how she wants to fly. All my time is low wing except for the last 20 hours when I got back into flying.

It sure feels good to be flying again!

All of the big-bore Cessnas are nose-heavy-well, except for my 180. You'll become accustomed to yoke back during taxi, holding the nose off during rollout and adding trim on short final. QUOTE=Jthamilton;973351]Thanks

I am out of Riverside. My cpa is in next to sjmc so doubt I know your friend.

One thing I was very surprised of was the weight up front, kinda nose heavy it seems. This After I have close to 300 hours in my old Cherokee 6 300. Im going up Wednesday evening just to do some maneuvers and learn how she wants to fly. All my time is low wing except for the last 20 hours when I got back into flying.

It sure feels good to be flying again![/QUOTE]

I was trimming like a wild man on final last night!

Managing the cooling of the turbo was also something I was concerned about but that was a bunch of hype. Very simple to manage!

Great looking airplane, but that's because all 182s look great. ;)

Welcome back.

My copilot is pretty excited!
Hahaha! Ahhh... to have those days with my sons again. Enjoy them while they last. Treat them as the golden opportunity they are. You will miss those days more than you can imagine once they are gone.

Yep that's the one! Man I looked over those pics a hundred times.

Gonna detail it the weekend after labor day. It needs a little tlc on the exterior, including good wax job.

Next purchase is an engine monitor, hopefully within the next few weeks.

Last edited:
There's a good paint shop in Ardmore that can fix that sag in the red stripe.:wink2:

Yep that's the one! Man I looked over those pics a hundred times.

Gonna detail it the weekend after labor day. It needs a little tlc on the exterior, including good wax job.

Next purchase is an engine monitor, hopefully within the next few weeks.

Awesome!! That should do well up in Steamboat!

Unfortunately I am going to be out of town this weekend (mountain biking in Grand Junction). Let me know next time you are up, and we can get together.

You made a good decision buying the 182 vs. joining the club. Someone gear-upped the TR182 last month, and it is going to be down until at least Thanksgiving. We are down to two airplanes, and the schedule is getting tight!

Unfortunately I am going to be out of town this weekend (mountain biking in Grand Junction). Let me know next time you are up, and we can get together.

You made a good decision buying the 182 vs. joining the club. Someone gear-upped the TR182 last month, and it is going to be down until at least Thanksgiving. We are down to two airplanes, and the schedule is getting tight!

Bummer, that's stinks for the club. I should be there in November. Have good ride

Ouch.

Gear failure, or was the fuse between the ears blown?

Same problem as most gear ups - pilot error. Here is the story from the local paper:

http://www.steamboattoday.com/news/2012/jul/24/no-injuries-after-plane-crashes/

The pilot was coming into Steamboat doing an IFR approach. At the IAF (HAYBRO) he began configuring the plane for landing. He was just starting to break out of IMC, but decided to continue the full approach procedure for practice. He decided not to lower the gear at this time because an instructor had told him that when flying an approach in IMC it is best to not lower the gear until much farther down the approach to avoid accreting ice on the gear. As he was flying the approach, he began to get a little behind the plane, having trouble maintaining glide slope etc. Also he was having trouble slowing the plane down (gee, really?!?). He admits that he had his head in the cockpit too much and developed tunnel vision trying to salvage the approach. On short final, he finally got the airplane slowed down to the proper speed, and then made the best flare he has ever done, when the prop tips hit the pavement, he knew what happened. He was very humble about the whole thing, not trying to place blame anywhere but himself. One small contributing factor is the fact that the gear warning horn on this aircraft was almost inaudible and had been squawked as so many times before.

Damage includes; destroyed prop, engine teardown (and possible overhaul), the fusealge hit a light just in front of the passenger door creating a hole, the right wing also hit a light creating a hole (wing has to come off and be reskined on a jig), and the belly got scraped pretty good, including wearing through an important bulkhead (as opposed to the un-important bulkheads on airplanes ;) ) , and of course all the antenae on the bottom of the aircraft were ground off. Initial estimates are around $65,000.

The folks from Beegles in Greeley came up, took the damaged prop off, did some inspections on the engine (and dye penetrant tests?) and decided it could be ferried to Greeley. They put a loaner prop on, got a ferry permit, and away it went, over the Rockies with the gear fixed in place in the down position, and an engine that needs a tear-down inspection. Not sure I would be brave enough to fly a plane over that terrrain in that condition.

The engine is getting sent to Western Skyways for inspection, and Beegles is going to do the rest. Supposedly it will be done at the end of November, but my bet is December or January.

The worst part for the club, is that we have grown to the size to really need another airplane, and now we are down to just two. For the three years that I have belonged to the club, this is the most scheduled the aircraft have ever been.

The folks from Beegles in Greeley came up, took the damaged prop off, did some inspections on the engine (and dye penetrant tests?) and decided it could be ferried to Greeley. They put a loaner prop on, got a ferry permit, and away it went, over the Rockies with the gear fixed in place in the down position, and an engine that needs a tear-down inspection. Not sure I would be brave enough to fly a plane over that terrrain in that condition.

Whew. No thanks.

Glad to hear your club is busy, though! Always better than hearing airplanes are sitting!

Glad to hear your club is busy, though! Always better than hearing airplanes are sitting!

We do have an active club. Our 172XP averages over 250 hours a year. Considering the winter we have up here, I think that is pretty good.

That is a beautiful plane, and a fine-looking brood, besides! Congratulations.

Look forward to meeting you and them one day soon.

Same problem as most gear ups - pilot error. Here is the story from the local paper:

The engine is getting sent to Western Skyways for inspection, and Beegles is going to do the rest. Supposedly it will be done at the end of November, but my bet is December or January.

The guys who scoop them up and fly them somewhere for repairs say they never fail during the trip, and that most internal problems materialize over time rather than immediately after the event. I decided to just take their word for it as long as it's them and not me doing the flying.

That is a beautiful plane, and a fine-looking brood, besides! Congratulations.

Look forward to meeting you and them one day soon.

Just got back from steamboat, always have something going around Dallas would love to meet a fly in or something.

Back