Engine sputtering on takeoff

What do you do if your engine sputters on the takeoff roll?

• Taxi back to the shop, put a note on it for the mechanics and call it a day

Votes: 34 35.8%
  • Do some troubleshooting, another runup, and try it again

Votes: 39 41.1%
  • Do a couple full power taxis down the runway, then take off if all is good

Votes: 8 8.4%
  • Do a couple full power taxis down the runway, and leave it with the shop anyway

Votes: 14 14.7%

• Total voters
As I pointed out, a lot of times the engine is just cold, the throttle was advanced too quickly, the mixture was not set right, or the plugs need to be cleaned off a bit by a lean run up. They aren't computer controlled like a car.

You do as you wish:

Let me be a bit clearer here, then.....The thread is titled Engine Sputtering on Takeoff. To me that means you're on the roll down the runway.

The assumption is that:

A-You're not doing a takeoff roll until the engine has had time to sufficiently warm up.

B-The mixture is set appropriately for the field elevation.

C-The runup has been accomplished, and the mag check is nominal.

D-If your engine is missing/sputtering just due to the fact that you've given it full throttle "too quickly", well then, you've certainly got an issue to deal with.

Again, to each his/her own. If I was a passenger in your plane that behaved the way you described, and you wanted to "try it again", let me out on the ramp.

You do as you wish:

Let me be a bit clearer here, then.....The thread is titled Engine Sputtering on Takeoff. To me that means you're on the roll down the runway.

The assumption is that:

A-You're not doing a takeoff roll until the engine has had time to sufficiently warm up.

B-The mixture is set appropriately for the field elevation.

C-The runup has been accomplished, and the mag check is nominal.

D-If your engine is missing/sputtering just due to the fact that you've given it full throttle "too quickly", well then, you've certainly got an issue to deal with.

Again, to each his/her own. If I was a passenger in your plane that behaved the way you described, and you wanted to "try it again", let me out on the ramp.
I don't disagree with you, but you are making assumptions based on a lack of info provided by the OP.

To really answer the question/poll, I believe you need more info base the decision on. Way too vague.

I don't disagree with you, but you are making assumptions based on a lack of info provided by the OP.

To really answer the question/poll, I believe you need more info base the decision on. Way too vague.

I guess I could throw in some theoretical details, but that would go off on a tangent. I did not specify what the problem was, just the symptoms with the intent of analyzing the posters' thought process.

I had pretty much this exact issue except that the "sputtering" didn't begin until I was 100 ft above the runway.

Me too, and I was a student pilot. Later I found out the CFI thought we were on fire as well.

Couldn't climb but at the same time not losing any alt so we did a "low pattern" while he tried all the checklist items. Landed, found out later I lost 2 out of 4 cylinders after they sent the engine back to the mfg.

If he wasn't in the plane I don't know what I would have done, perhaps the deadly 180. I was post solo and was supposed to solo that day. Scary.

I am a late arrival to this thread. If my plane does not act normally on run up or while on the take off roll. I end the flight until I find out why. Call it sputter, call it a stutter, call it what you want. Better to have a problem with the plane on the fround than in the air. I do not have cahunas big enough to do anything else. Also, the first flight after any major work in my plane is typically done with the A&P in the plane alone, or with me. My A&P has done this since I got the plane and hired him for all my work. My previous A&P who was not as good or thorough, never took up my offer to fly with me after work, whereas my present one asked me when I first took my plane to him for work if he could do this.

Doug

I would think through to make sure I did not push the throttle to quickly causing the shudder.

Then whether I did a 100% proper pre-flight not missing any steps(run up, fuel sump, gauge (pressure))

If I missed a step I might start over more thoroughly.

If I missed none, I would go back to the mechanic hangar and call it a day.

Last edited:
Back