Emerging from the woods

Chrisgoesflying

Cleared for Takeoff
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Chrisgoesflying
As some of you may know, I've been living in the woods in the mystical, cold white north with only occasional trips south of the border for my annual thaw/freeze cycle. But, I am now ready to emerge from the Canadian woods, moving to the Dallas area in my chosen home state of Texas with a long term U.S. visa in hand. On that note, are there any fly-ins in Texas, or the south in general (east of the big rocks though) in the coming months where I could meet some of y'all for real? If not, maybe we could organize a fly-in breakfast, lunch or dinner? As of right now, you could still all be AI for what I know. I'm confident @SixPapaCharlie may be real, but the rest of you, not sure yet. :dunno:

Gaston’s is the end of this month.

Gaston’s is the end of this month.

I wish I could make Gaston’s but i can’t enter with the work visa until October 1st. It would make little sense to fly down in visitor status only to return to Canada and then enter the US again with the right status.

(off the topic of fly-ins; )
Things you might raise an eyebrow at, moving from the 45s to the 30s:
-when there is frozen precip on the ground (it will happen even in the DFW area), or even the mention of it coming...much of those parts of Texas will pretty much shut down. And with good reason, so many never get winter driving experience they really need to stay home. I've probably lost all my glare-ice skills too.

-when there is frozen precip on the ground (it will happen even in the DFW area), or even the mention of it coming...much of those parts of Texas will pretty much shut down. And with good reason, so many never get winter driving experience they really need to stay home. I've probably lost all my glare-ice skills too.

I'm probably the rare exception up here, but when I see the first sign of a snow flake, I panic, close all shutters, turn on the music real loud and don't go outside until either spring or until we go to Florida. I have the feeling this will happen much less frequent in Dallas. Long story short, any sign of ice or snow, I won't be out on the roads regardless of where I am lol.

The only "glare ice" skill I ever had was studded snow tires.

Welcome ,Sun n fun is right around the corner.

What brings you to the US?

On a related topic, do you have to de register in Canada and then re register your plane in the US? Or are you allowed to keep and fly a Canadian registered plane in the US?

What brings you to the US?

On a related topic, do you have to de register in Canada and then re register your plane in the US? Or are you allowed to keep and fly a Canadian registered plane in the US?

One of my former consulting clients whom I helped grow his business by a lot hired me to be his management consultant on location and help him expand operations beyond southeast Texas.

The plane, for now I'll keep it registered in Canada as my work visa is of temporary nature and I'll be bouncing between Texas and Canada initially anyways. If or when my status in the U.S. becomes permanent via a green card, I'll register the plane in the U.S. Shouldn't be too difficult as it was originally registered in the U.S. anyways and exported to Canada in the late 80s. I even still have the old N-Number it could possibly be put on again.

I probably won't be able to go (May try, but work usually gets in the way), but Ranger is a good fly-in.

As some of you may know, I've been living in the woods in the mystical, cold white north with only occasional trips south of the border for my annual thaw/freeze cycle. But, I am now ready to emerge from the Canadian woods, moving to the Dallas area in my chosen home state of Texas with a long term U.S. visa in hand. On that note, are there any fly-ins in Texas, or the south in general (east of the big rocks though) in the coming months where I could meet some of y'all for real? If not, maybe we could organize a fly-in breakfast, lunch or dinner? As of right now, you could still all be AI for what I know. I'm confident @SixPapaCharlie may be real, but the rest of you, not sure yet. :dunno:
WELCOME, we love our Northern neighbors. You should like Texas, it's the land of the free. Wife and I moved to Wyoming from a less free state. More cows than people in WY

As you already know, we have like 8 different types of capn crunch unavailable to the great white north.

Back