EAA Lifetime Membership - Expired!

Lowflynjack

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Jack Fleetwood
EAA sent me an email offering $100 off if I became a Lifetime Member. I've always thought about doing it, so I did it.

I can't tell you why. There's no real financial benefit. I get a jacket that I don't really want. I get a plaque that I don't really want. I get a cool sticker. Admission to a few cool things at Oshkosh. But, all in all, I support EAA, so why not?

But.... they killed me! I have a Lifetime Membership that expired 5/31/2003.

Not really, my IAC membership expired, but that's not how I read it at first!!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-06-25 at 11.00.57 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-06-25 at 11.00.57 AM.png
    203.6 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Lifetime membership is kinda funny these days. We're never quite sure whose lifetime we're agreeing upon.
I have lifetime membership for many apps which seem to last until the developer sells out or even in one cases when they simply release an update.
It's sad; really should be illegal.

Lifetime membership is kinda funny these days. We're never quite sure whose lifetime we're agreeing upon.
I have lifetime membership for many apps which seem to last until the developer sells out or even in one cases when they simply release an update.
It's sad; really should be illegal.
I had a lifetime membership to a gym once. Then Gold's Gym bought them out and wouldn't honor my membership. :mad:

I hope you called them and asked about that. I’d be curious what they had to say.

I hope you called them and asked about that. I’d be curious what they had to say.
It wasn't real, I just read it wrong! My IAC Membership expired, but the way it looked, I read it as my Lifetime had expired!

I had a friend whose EAA Lifetime Membership was canceled…it was given to him as compensation for delivering an airplane to the museum. When he contacted them to address it, the response (from whom, I won’t say) was, “We didn’t think you’d live this long.”

“Whom” was convinced by the former EAA president who conferred the Lifetime Membership to reinstate it.

At least, that was his version of the story. ;)

I'm Immortal so a lifetime membership should be a good deal. My IRA Required Minimum Distribution, which is supposed to exhaust the balance within my life expectancy, keeps coming but......because of the stock market, I wind up with more at the end of the year than I started with so it seems I'll live forever.

..... I can't tell you why. There's no real financial benefit. I get a jacket that I don't really want. I get a plaque that I don't really want. I get a cool sticker. Admission to a few cool things at Oshkosh. But, all in all, I support EAA, so why not?.....

I've considered it several times myself...but yeah, why?
support EAA with a slug of money...yeah sure, I like that.

but yeah, the math don't work, basically just for a sticker.....
based on current rates $1,495 per life/48 per year = 31.2​
... so I'd break even when I'm about 90 years old​

I'd have done it back when I started out, and I would have gained a benefit....but back then I didn't have any money

they should prorate it based on
and maybe some consideration of how many years I have already been a paying member...

Well we all know that the lifetime membership is so that you can signal to other pilots your better than them, not about savings. :p

I've considered it several times myself...but yeah, why?
support EAA with a slug of money...yeah sure, I like that.

but yeah, the math don't work, basically just for a sticker.....
based on current rates $1,495 per life/48 per year = 31.2​
... so I'd break even when I'm about 90 years old​

I'd have done it back when I started out, and I would have gained a benefit....but back then I didn't have any money

they should prorate it based on
and maybe some consideration of how many years I have already been a paying member...
Agree, makes no financial sense. I paid $1395 / 48 = 29 years. I'm 50, so I'll be 79 when it pays for itself... not sure if I'll still be flying then!

Well we all know that the lifetime membership is so that you can signal to other pilots your better than them, not about savings. :p
Yup. BTW, did I tell you that I'm better than you!

They should pro-rate it based on current age and actuarial life expectancy. If I start my lifetime membership after that life expectancy age, they pay me…

They should pro-rate it based on current age and actuarial life expectancy. If I start my lifetime membership after that life expectancy age, they pay me…

I once heard it said, "If I knew I was gonna live this long, I would've taken better care of myself!"

That's just wrong ... but thanks for allowing me to play! :biggrin:
Honestly when I posted it, I had misread it and truly believed it said my Lifetime Membership expired 21 years ago! I edited the post to add that it hadn't, but figured it was still a fun conversation.

It does make me feel old to know I dropped out of IAC that many years ago though. :biggrin:

Honestly when I posted it, I had misread it and truly believed it said my Lifetime Membership expired 21 years ago! I edited the post to add that it hadn't, but figured it was still a fun conversation.

It does make me feel old to know I dropped out of IAC that many years ago though. :biggrin:

I looked into the lifetime membership but didn't do it. Maybe I should reconsider seeing that I could get such a cool jacket to wear in the 97º heat we are having now ...

Re-up to feel young again? That's how it works right?

Ya gotta know whose life they're talking about....

After Burt Reynolds’ debut in Smokey and the Bandit, the popularity of the Trans Am skyrocketed. GM’s sales soared over 700% so the President called Reynolds up and told him he wanted to give him a Trans Am every year for life.
The first one he received he gave to his sister, the next year to his step-brother. Over the next few years he gave them to various people. But on the 6th year, no Trans Am came. Not wanting to be ungrateful, but curious if it got misplaced of lost in shipping he called GM up. A new president answered the phone and informed him the deal was for the previous president’s life. And he was now deceased. So Burt had no more cars sent to him – crazy!

It wasn't real, I just read it wrong! My IAC Membership expired, but the way it looked, I read it as my Lifetime had expired!
Same kinda thing happened with my Vintage membership. I got a cancellation notice from EAA and was mystified for a few minutes. They should probably do a better job with their "cancellation" letters. The first sentence of mine should have read "Your Vintage membership has expired", but I had to read down towards the end of the first paragraph to figure out what was really going on.

After Burt Reynolds’ debut in Smokey and the Bandit, the popularity of the Trans Am skyrocketed. GM’s sales soared over 700% so the President called Reynolds up and told him he wanted to give him a Trans Am every year for life.The first one he received he gave to his sister, the next year to his step-brother. Over the next few years he gave them to various people. But on the 6th year, no Trans Am came. Not wanting to be ungrateful, but curious if it got misplaced of lost in shipping he called GM up. A new president answered the phone and informed him the deal was for the previous president’s life. And he was now deceased. So Burt had no more cars sent to him – crazy!
funny story!

That makes me think about every time I hear a president say something on the world stage in a very matter of fact and absolute certain way... "the US will never do this"... or "the US will always do that...", my inner voice fills in the blanks that "always" or "never" pretty much only means 4 years.

That makes me think about every time I hear a president say something on the world stage in a very matter of fact and absolute certain way... "the US will never do this"... or "the US will always do that...", my inner voice fills in the blanks that "always" or "never" pretty much only means 4 years.
Or, they just haven’t been caught doing it yet.

Back