Diversion Scenario:

I have declared some emergencies, have handled real medical emergencies on airliners, am a command pilot with Angelflight and have had to divert for a sick pax. I am also a critical care doctor. As said above, turning an urgency into an emergency and causing loss of separation can box everyone on your aircraft and the aircraft you hit. Getting tied up in something other than flying the plane can cause you to lose command and or control of the flight, see boxing above. ATC will be readily available to help you, if you ask for help, and may even give you real help, like I just had mercy air land at XYZ airport for fuel. 10 miles heading XYZ. As a critical care doc, don’t think when you come bombing into an airport unnanounced that you are going to have Hawkeye or Marcus Welby MD standing by with their mobile ICU and surgical team standing by on the ground. It is highly highly unlikely that minutes are going to make a difference in the outcome of the vast majority of medical emergencies and then those where minutes matter, you are unlikely to have the medical resources on the ground to even deal with it. Much more likely a rushed action in a plane will end badly. Breathe, wind your watch, fly the plane, tell ATC you have a medical emergency and need to get on the ground expeditiously. They will be there for you, and help you get everyone down safely. C

Last edited:
Ridiculous premise requires ridiculous response.

I do not turn. I perform a split s and head straight back to Daytona. Bonus points if flying in an RV and overhead break to opposite direction runway as well.
I don't see anything ridiculous there, EdFred--that's what I was taught also.

Just finding a watch that can be manually wound should slow the tempo quite a bit. I don't own a functional manual watch, so I keep a pack of Lucky Strikes in my flight bag. Fly the airplane/silence the warning/smoke a Lucky...

Remember - there's always time for a beer.

Ridiculous premise requires ridiculous response.

I do not turn. I perform a split s and head straight back to Daytona. Bonus points if flying in an RV and overhead break to opposite direction runway as well.
At first glance it is ridiculous, especially in this scenario where the passenger is self diagnosing. If we remove the self diagnosing part it's a bit less

We're all assuming he's talking about hypoxemic hypoxia. Hypemic hypoxia caused by carbon monoxide poisoning, lower altitude ain't gonna help.

Stagnant hypoxia is pretty serious and probably related to underlying conditions like heart disease or blood clots.

Just finding a watch that can be manually wound should slow the tempo quite a bit. I don't own a functional manual watch

With the FSDO watching us carefully, I wouldn’t admit to being so poorly prepared to handle an emergency. Every hour I have logged has been with a manual winding watch at less than an arm’s length.

If this reaches a couple more pages of discussion I should alter my comedy path to trolling topical forums with .001% situational queries.

Hey guys,

Scenario I want to pose to y'all. I've heard various answers. Let's say you just departed KDAB. ATC has told you to climb and maintain 3,000 and fly a heading of 360. You are here (the white circle).

View attachment 131591

Your passenger tells you he is starting to feel hypoxic (I know it's quite low, but it's just a hypothetical). You decide that it's in his best interest to divert. You are still under ATC instruction at this point but have a choice to make. Will you turn immediately to the airport you will be diverting to (likely OMN) without getting an amended clearance first or will you get an amended clearance first before making that turn?

Some people have argued that it's not an emergency so they'll get the amended first but I have also heard others say that it's in the interest of safety so they will make that turn first and then get the amended later.

What you would guys do? Curious to hear your thoughts.​
I would tell ATC that I have a medical emergency and that I'm diverting to OMN.

With the FSDO watching us carefully, I wouldn’t admit to being so poorly prepared to handle an emergency. Every hour I have logged has been with a manual winding watch at less than an arm’s length.
Your message is crystal-clear, and the clock is ticking on us as this thread winds down. It is said that many hands make light work, and on the balance PoA is a self-regulated operation that (mostly) runs like clockwork, a rare jewel in the crown of the Internet.

Bogeys at four-o'clock, but only ten minutes to Wapner. Time for me to clock-out.

Back