Disqualifying TSA question(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fail. 61.15 applies to “The requirements for issuing pilot, flight instructor, and ground instructor certificates and ratings; the conditions under which those certificates and ratings are necessary; and the privileges and limitations of those certificates and ratings.”

Not medicals.
So let me ask you this…
49 CFR 1544.229(d) outlines disqualifying criminal offenses. PWID or a derivation of it is not listed (unless I’m not seeing it right). I went to this code based on 49 CFR 1552.31(c)(4) in subpart B, Am I reading that right?

Fail. 61.15 applies to “The requirements for issuing pilot, flight instructor, and ground instructor certificates and ratings; the conditions under which those certificates and ratings are necessary; and the privileges and limitations of those certificates and ratings.”

Not medicals.
So let me ask you this…
49 CFR 1544.229(d) outlines disqualifying criminal offenses. PWID or a derivation of it is not listed (unless I’m not seeing it right). I went to this code based on 49 CFR 1552 subpart B,

For someone who works in regs and knows how to read them, you don’t seem to understand that the reg you quoted isn’t applicable to medical certificates. Sigh.
My question is not related to the medical, at least on its face it is not.

Not medicals.
I’m not stupid. I know 16.83 talks about student eligibility. 61.15 is PILOTS and the new FRN puts student pilots and pilots in the same bucket. Read the FRN. I posted it above.

So let me ask you this…
49 CFR 1544.229(d) outlines disqualifying criminal offenses. PWID or a derivation of it is not listed (unless I’m not seeing it right). I went to this code based on 49 CFR 1552.31(c)(4) in subpart B, Am I reading that right?
Don’t know, don’t care, but when you come here telling an entire group of people they aren’t thinking and can’t read it behooves you to make sure that you’re reading things correctly yourself. It amazes me how many people on the wrong side of the FAA are just sure they’re smarter than everyone else.

Don’t know, don’t care, but when you come here telling an entire group of people they aren’t thinking and can’t read it behooves you to make sure that you’re reading things correctly yourself. It amazes me how many people on the wrong side of the FAA are just sure they’re smarter than everyone else.
If you a really knew what I did for a living and with which agency you wouldn’t be saying that. All this because I was seeking a simple response. Man this world is going to garbage and people with knowledge who don’t want to release it are devastating open forums.

I’m not stupid. I know 16.83 talks about student eligibility. 61.15 is PILOTS and the new FRN puts student pilots and pilots in the same bucket. Read the FRN. I posted it above.
That’s the other thing: people aren’t inclined to help people with attitudes like yours. (And the two regs you just posted have absolutely nothing to do with medicals or student pilot certificates. And I thought you worked in regs and knew how to read them.)

I know 16.83 talks about student eligibility. 61.15 is PILOTS and the new FRN puts student pilots and pilots in the same bucket.
Yes, and it still doesn’t talk about medicals. You’re actually quite quickly proving how little you understand.

Yes, and it still doesn’t talk about medicals. You’re actually quite quickly proving how little you understand.
I’m not talking about medicals altogether! Please reread what’s posted. This is why you pilots follow the regs the policy officials create. You guys stick to the clouds, we’ll stick to the offices in DC smh

For the millionth time my question is:

Do IACRA and TSA interface one another when the SPC application is electronically submitted? Man, how tough is it to get one question answered?

But I’m still not getting a response to the question I posted.

Again, the question is simply if IACRA interfaces with TSA at point of application for the SPC. Period. Can someone answer that?
Only the software people who designed/developed the IACRA/TSA/whatever software can legitimately answer the question of interoperability. And I'll bet my airplane that those were contractors that are no longer employed by any Federal agency.

BTDT for FAA, USAF, NASA and others we don't discuss.

Only the software people who designed/developed the IACRA/TSA/whatever software can legitimately answer that question. And I'll bet my airplane that those were contractors that are no longer employed by any Federal agency.

BTDT for FAA, USAF, NASA and others we don't discuss.
Agree 100%. That’s exactly why i asked that question ironically. Thank you for the response. The person submitted the app today. Hoping it goes thru for them because they pass the normal non-terrorist + citizen checks. Just that new FRN threw us ooff.

Why not ask an aviation attorney about something this significant? What are you going to stake on the opinions of SG(s)OTI?

The direct answer to your question is Yes. (See PIA here, page 10 Para 3).

The disqualifying criteria in a TSA suitability determination are here. Section (2)(vii) seems to be a problem for "your friend"

And you are pretty much entirely wrong on your interpretation of everything with the medical as has been posted many times above.

What are you going to stake on the opinions of SG(s)OTI?

Well, since he's that foolish, why don't we just give him a worthless answer?

Yes, @unknown1981 , there is indeed an interface between TSA and IACRA and information is shared. Feel better now?

The topic is completely moot, though, as question (w) on the medical form is going to be the real tripwire anyway. Worrying over IACRA is like worrying about whether your hair is neatly combed while you have a bullet wound to the heart.

You don't seem to realize the discretion that the FAA medical folks in OKC have and exercise. When they see a felony conviction for drug dealing, they can and will assume that the person is also a user and they will treat him as such. They really won't care that he wasn't convicted of using, and they won't care that nobody has brought forward any evidence that he's a user. They will assume that the applicant is a user and treat him as such.

And yes, they can do that.

Well, since he's that foolish, why don't we just give him a worthless answer?

Yes, @unknown1981 , there is indeed an interface between TSA and IACRA and information is shared. Feel better now?

The topic is completely moot, though, as question (w) on the medical form is going to be the real tripwire anyway. Worrying over IACRA is like worrying about whether your hair is neatly combed while you have a bullet wound to the heart.

You don't seem to realize the discretion that the FAA medical folks in OKC have and exercise. When they see a felony conviction for drug dealing, they can and will assume that the person is also a user and they will treat him as such. They really won't care that he wasn't convicted of using, and they won't care that nobody has brought forward any evidence that he's a user. They will assume that the applicant is a user and treat him as such.

And yes, they can do that.
Thank you. Exactly the answer I needed.

But I’m still not getting a response *I wanted to hear.

Again, the question is simply if IACRA interfaces with TSA at point of application for the SPC. Period. Can someone answer that?

Fixt it fer 'ya.

Do TSA and IACRA cross-check each other? Dunno. You need to send your question to the TSA and FAA. If you really "work in policy" then you should be well aware that any answer you receive here can be assumed to be incorrect, even if that answer comes from a knowledgeable source. This isn't hard either. You're in the wrong room.

At some point, a background check will be performed on the person, and the prior conviction WILL show up. It doesn't really matter if that is during the medical, during the IACRA processing, or via MedExpress. You need to talk to an attorney with an aviation pedigree.

*PWID comes up in medical circles as "Person Who Injects Drugs" and in legal circles as "Possession With Intent to Distribute." Neither of those conditions are conducive to a career in commercial flight, but they are also not completely disqualifying. You really need to tell your friend to find an amazing attorney...and prepare to buy that attorney a new boat....a big one.

Since your friend didn’t seem to follow the rules for dealing drugs, why would he worry about something so silly as a license to fly a plane. Just do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back