Decommissioning New England VORs

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
As you may or may not know the FAA is planning on Decommissioning the Bradley (BDL) in Connecticut and Providence (PVD)in Rhode Island, VORs. These VORs are crucial to navigation in southern New England, to the Boston area and to Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket. They also help set up several instrument approaches. I certainly have used them.AOPAs e-pilot edition and e-training bulletin announced yesterday that the FAA has extended the comment period on the decommissioning of these VORs until May 6, 2005.
I believe the loss of these VORs would be very problematic, especially to those without GPS capabilities. Even if you don't fly there now you may one day! I hope you will all contact the FAA to voice your objection. ( I misplaced the FAAs address and file numbers but will try to post it monday)

This doesn't seem to make sense. Why would they decom a critical primary VOR?

That sucks. Those VORs are definitely needed for General Aviation. What's next, decommisioning of all NDBs and VORs because "GPS is better"?

NickDBrennan said:
That sucks. Those VORs are definitely needed for General Aviation. What's next, decommisioning of all NDBs and VORs because "GPS is better"?

Well, NDBs, yes. AOPA is going to agree that the feds can stop publishing NDB approaches as a trade for more GPS approaches.

Actually turning the NDBs off will come later. I suspect the first step would be no more maintenance - and being 50 year old technology they need LOTS of maintenance. They'll die from neglect.

Just as I actually spent money on a yellow tagged replacement ADF that it is still an hour's work away from working.

mikea said:
Just as I actually spent money on a yellow tagged replacement ADF that it is still an hour's work away from working.

Wish I'd known you wanted one. I've got a Narco ADF-841 (the digital unit) in a box that I've been meaning to put on EBay. Pulled it when I reworked the panel a couple of years ago.

wsuffa said:
Wish I'd known you wanted one. I've got a Narco ADF-841 (the digital unit) in a box that I've been meaning to put on EBay. Pulled it when I reworked the panel a couple of years ago.

What is the asking price??

is it "tagged"?

wsuffa said:

I needed a Cessna/ARC 300 as a slide in replacement. Airwhich, which is supposed to be the ADF experts wants $450 for yellow tagged 300s.

I actually bought 2 replacements - one very old one on eBay for $75 or so, and then I watched a removed from service one from JA Air not get its $150 reserve. I emailed them and got that one for $100 or so. It had a manufactured date of 1992! :dance:

I had Muncie Avionics install the "new" one. They needed a bit more time than they had to get it working fully. The receiver works well but the indicator doesn't point to the station.

There's a mobile avionics guy in my area who's supposed to know ADFs pretty well. I'll spring for another hour or two of his time to get it working.

Phil Boyer said even if NDBs go away we could practice using radio stations. I wonder if that would suffice on an IR checkride.

Maybe it's a further waste of money working on NDB skills.

In case any one felt moved to express their objection to the Decommissioning of the BDL and PVD VORs ( I really hope you do) you can write to the FAA as follows:

Ronald X. Ruggeri, Manager
Airspace Branch, AEA-520
FAA Eastern Region
One Aviation Plaza
Jamaica, N.Y. 11434

Reference Non Rule Case Nos. 05-ANE-0101-NR and 05-ANE012-NR

Tell them to keep these VORs operational!!

Back