David Yanofsky and his "Journalism"

It's sensationalist 'journalism', that's for sure. And he didn't do his research - calling out 'United' and 'American' pilots that are clearly flying RJs. But there's also a lesson to be learned here on the pilot side - if you don't want your chief pilot to find out about it, don't be dumb enough to post stuff on social media. These guys need to be smarter than that.

Technically he's right, but geez, isn't there something better to crusade about regarding aviation safety?

There's nothing illegal about taking pictures while you're flying as far as the FAA is concerned. Of course there is 91.13 as a blanket if you do something really dumb, but there is nothing illegal about taking pictures in the cockpit.

Technically he's right, but geez, isn't there something better to crusade about regarding aviation safety?

Technically he's totally ****ing wrong. He's a ******n idiot.

But there's also a lesson to be learned here on the pilot side - if you don't want your chief pilot to find out about it, don't be dumb enough to post stuff on social media. These guys need to be smarter than that.

Agreed. That extends to GA pilots who have a fascination with videoing themselves breaking the rules, and then uploading to YouTube.

There's nothing illegal about taking pictures while you're flying as far as the FAA is concerned. Of course there is 91.13 as a blanket if you do something really dumb, but there is nothing illegal about taking pictures in the cockpit.

The problem is in our manuals. Here's an excerpt from mine:

Flight Crewmembers shall not use personal portable electronic devices (PEDs), (e.g. cell phones, two-way pagers, I-pods/MP3 players, laptops, PDAs, etc.) while performing job–related duties on or around the aircraft unless directly related to those duties. Flight Crewmembers must ensure their PEDs are turned off prior to the Before Starting Engines Checklist or no later than 10 minutes prior to departure.

Now obviously this rule gets bent quite a bit, and I'm certainly not one to throw stones - I've taken plenty of pictures at cruise myself. But people need to be smart about it, and I can't help but notice that the selfies were all from younger RJ guys. I'm not sure if this is a generational thing or what, but the bottom line is that you never, EVER, post anything to the internet that you don't want your boss to know about. These guys broke that rule, and it's hard for me to feel bad for them, regardless of the fact that the article's author is a complete douchebag.

Buried in Yanofsky's article is this admission:

"Cameras are not forbidden at cruising altitude if they don’t have any wireless capabilities."

Pretty much undermines a bunch of what he wrote.

Cameras aren't PEDs - for decades they didn't even have the E aspect.
The portion of the manual you quote doesn't mention traditional cameras.

Okay, but do you really think any of those pictures were taken by a traditional camera?

Some companies have a non personal electronics listed in their OPSPEC.

Technically he's totally ****ing wrong. He's a ******n idiot.

14 CFR 121.542

Plenty of these photos were taken below 10k. I'm curious how many of these folks would still snap photos if they had an ASI onboard. Either way, I don't think its worthy of newsprint (or electrons).

Prove otherwise.

Do you really think that's going to work with a ****ed off Chief Pilot, let alone the feds?

The bottom line is you shouldn't be stupid. Show it to your friends, girls at the bar, whatever - but don't post this crap to social media. It's never anonymous.

14 CFR 121.542

Plenty of these photos were taken below 10k. I'm curious how many of these folks would still snap photos if they had an ASI onboard. Either way, I don't think its worthy of newsprint (or electrons).
There's also 135.100 which is basically the same thing. So technically he isn't wrong about those photos taken below 10,000 when not in cruise. That said, it's bad karma to be harassing people about what they post online.

There's also 135.100 which is basically the same thing. So technically he isn't wrong about those photos taken below 10,000 when not in cruise. That said, it's bad karma to be harassing people about what they post online.

It's also bad karma to spend hours trolling the web for photos, then calling the shutterbugs' employers to ask if anyone at the company would comment on said employee violating the regs while on the job.

I wonder how many folks wearing epaulettes are checking out Mr. Yanofsky's background right now.

It's also bad karma to spend hours trolling the web for photos, then calling the shutterbugs' employers to ask if anyone at the company would comment on said employee violating the regs while on the job.

I wonder how many folks wearing epaulettes are checking out Mr. Yanofsky's background right now.
That is pretty much what I meant.

Regardless, it should be fairly obvious that taking all of those pictures caused all of those pilots to crash and die along with their passengers.

I guess this guy would be in favor of installing video cameras on the flight deck. :mad2:

This guy has some issues. This is about as bad as the GA safety articles awhile back.

You can't even figure out if these pictures were taken on a part 91 ferry flight or from a jumpseat.

Yanofsky has no idea what he is talking about. I think we should have a protest at this "Quartz" place where he works. He made the wrong choice attacking some of the bravest and hardest-working people in the world.

...if you don't want your chief pilot to find out about it, don't be dumb enough to post stuff on social media. These guys need to be smarter than that.

This forum and others like it are social media, too. It's amazing to me what people have posted about their activities, apparently assuming the media and the FAA don't look on the internet.

I never took a selfie, but once in a Piper Navajo I turned on the auto pilot, got out of my seat and went to the rear of the plane, and took a picture showing no one in the front....

really freaked out the passengers....

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

And no this didn't happen, but I thought about trying it while I was in the plane and had no passengers.

Regardless, it should be fairly obvious that taking all of those pictures caused all of those pilots to crash and die along with their passengers.
Only if they didn't file a flight plan.

The biggest issue I have here is the double standard for technology.

Is there any functional difference between a cell in airplane mode and a digicam? No.

Is there any degradation of safety in cruise if someone takes a photo with a digicam vs a cell phone in airplane mode? No.

How does an EFB, which is permitted to be used with wifi on in cruise, and greatly enhances safety suddenly become a PED if a crew member snaps a photo with it? Hell, I have used a video recording on the EFB to capture engine indication abnormalities, etc during flight. This is a safety enhancement. But if I do the same thing for personal reasons when not in a critical phase of flight, it is not allowed? Ridiculous.

I don’t own a GoPro, but I assume the wifi feature can be turned off, so what is wrong with mounting one in the back of a cockpit and allowing it to passively record an approach with no intervention from the crew? Legal issues aside should it record a busted reg. I do believe this is a gateway for airlines/the FAA to mount cockpit cameras so we need to be careful about this. I would like a pilots bill of rights that, among other things, protects crewmembers from involuntary recording except perhaps under very limited, very restricted circumstances; only for training purposes, only if approved by the crew, the crew has final say before the video is viewed by others, no enforcement action based on such videos, etc.

In short, I believe the FAA should have to have a specific safety enhancing justification before it randomly regulates our activities.

The FAA's response to the use of PED is the same as any zero tolerance policy. One size fits all and no compromise. The level of distraction a PED might cause means it needs to be banned. The Northwest flight a few years ago cemented that mentality.
Don't expect rational thought from either side. Just admit everyone does it. Some just moreobvious than others.

As an electrical engineer, my view is that if a camera has electronic circuitry in it, it is a portable electronic device.

As an electrical engineer, my view is that if a camera has electronic circuitry in it, it is a portable electronic device.

By that standard, so is any wristwatch with a battery. :dunno:

I wish I could take credit for this, but I can't.

1512723_786953921376003_4255399316015894505_n.jpg

Back