Darren Pleasance replacing Mark Baker Jan 1.

bflynn

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Brian Flynn
Not sure if we’ve all missed this or just me not but I’m just catching up on email and found this from AOPA. Mark Baker will step down Jan 1 as AOPA president.

He will be replace by Darren Pleasance. Who is he?

I was going to be open minded, until I saw this. Smacks of insiders taking care of one another to me. Maybe it's not the case, but doesn't look good IMO. It's good to have friends in the right places.

They used the word "conspired" so I guess they aren't hiding it.

1727479254426.png

This could seal the deal on ending my membership.

Meh, pretty sure that "conspired" refers to the surprise, not the sweepstakes results. Aviation is a pretty small community, so perhaps just a coincidence that Pleasance knew the winner. Not a great look for the incoming AOPA president, I agree, but I'm not quite ready to get any pitchforks out of storage unless there's actually evidence of wrongdoing.

Meh, pretty sure that "conspired" refers to the surprise, not the sweepstakes results. Aviation is a pretty small community, so perhaps just a coincidence that Pleasance knew the winner. Not a great look for the incoming AOPA president, I agree, but I'm not quite ready to get any pitchforks out of storage unless there's actually evidence of wrongdoing.

How does it come to AOPA's attention that the randomly selected winner's college roommate, Pleasance, is notified in advance to help surprise the winner? Where did that knowledge come from?

Then the roommate goes on to become next AOPA CEO?

Is he competent and qualified?

That should be what matters.

How does it come to AOPA's attention that the randomly selected winner's college roommate, Pleasance, is notified in advance to help surprise the winner? Where did that knowledge come from?

Then the roommate goes on to become next AOPA CEO?
I remember previous AOPA and other sweepstakes where they organized a surprise reception to present the new owner with the airplane s/he won. That kind of thing makes for a better story...

I had a hunch it was a scam, Just like the flight training scholarships.

Who’s buddy will win the 182?

Back