Currus Resentment

Not necessarily. I could afford a Tesla, or a Cirrus. (But probably not both at the same time.) And I'm going with a 182 anyway.

My flight school is Cirrus-affiliated -- but when I sat the chief CFIs down and started laying out what kind of flying I want to do, they both pointed me directly at the late-model turbo 182s. Their feeling was that for the destinations I want to reach, short runways and tall mountains are going to be a serious issue. The Cirrus needs too much runway, and doesn't have the ceiling. They told me, point-blank: "In these mountains, the turbo will Save. Your. Life."

I need a Jeep, not a Ferrari. So I'm not even looking at Cirruses.

It's funny how these things take on a life of their own.

A few examples come to mind. When I started looking at RVs, I was astounded at the number of pilots who dissed them. Of course, not a single one of them had every actually FLOWN an RV, so I took their "advice" with a grain of salt -- and ended up buying one. I've never had so much fun.

The same thing happens with car brands. All of my life, I have considered Lincolns to be "old man cars", and never even considered owning one -- until my sales-gal insisted that I take one for a spin. She thought I would like it -- and she was right. I was blown away -- and bought one.

So, there you have it. People can think what they want, but it may not be based on reality.

Nothing screams midlife crisis like a Lincoln and an RV.

On a side note, I've never seen an RV pilot victimized on these boards but see plenty of RV pilots claiming victim status….here's to happy zoom climbs. :D

I'd love to be able to afford a Cirrus.
As much as I like the plane, I dislike the Cirrus owners that I have met. That small sample of people seems to me to be a bunch of rich, obnoxious and relatively incompetent and ignorant pilots. Now for those of you Cirrus drivers out there, I HAVEN'T MET YOU SO I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT YOU.

I think it is similar to the Prius. I think it is a neat car but I just can't seem to meet any Prius owners that I like. The ones I have met are all smug and drive 40 mph on the highway. Of course though, there was Al Gores son that got arrested doing 100+ in his Prius so I admit stereotypes are often wrong.
I've known 3 Cirrus SR22 owners. I liked all three. The airplane was OK too.

In 2013 the Cirrus SR22 and SR22T were the highest selling four-to-five-seat fixed wing aircraft in the world and had been for eleven years in a row.

An SR-22 was chosen for an 2013 world record attempt by 19-year-old Ryan Campbell to become the youngest pilot to fly solo around the world. On 7 September 2013 he landed back in Australia, making him the youngest pilot to date to navigate around the world.

On a side note, I've never seen an RV pilot victimized on these boards but see plenty of RV pilots claiming victim status….here's to happy zoom climbs. :D

I do 'em all the time! :lol:

I felt the EXACT same way about Lincolns. Hell, my Dad drove a Lincoln -- it was like a river barge, floating on marshmallows, in a cumulus cloud. It was as far from a performance car as you could get.

Then, I drove the MKS. The MKS is so far removed from that paradigm, it's like a different type of vehicle. I never thought I'd own anything but a Lexus again, but this Lincoln out-everythings a Lexus, times three. It's faster, it handles better, and the interior fitment and accessories are better.

If you've never driven one, it's hard to appreciate the difference. Go find one and take 'er for a spin -- you won't believe the difference. I sure didn't!

Well, if you're not a pro, what's wrong with that?:dunno: the CAPS says "I accept bad **** can happen in bad places and I'm not such an egomaniac to think I'm so great I can save it. Also, if I become incapacitated, I want to give my passengers a better chance." The glass deck says I like to have as much information as I can in an easy to analyze format for maximum situational awareness in the minimum time concentrating on it so I can manage other things in an emergency.

An L-39 says I'm too poor to fly a real jet.:rofl: A DHC-2 means I like to live in the middle of nowhere and need to be able to make a living there.

A private A-380 with a gold plated Lav and Chandelier taking you to meet your billion dollar yacht, THAT says 'I'm Rich Biotch'.:D Anything less than a Citation X in a jet says I'm a wanna be rich guy poser.:lol:

Now thats funny !!! :D

In 2013 the Cirrus SR22 and SR22T were the highest selling four-to-five-seat fixed wing aircraft in the world and had been for eleven years in a row.

And??:dunno:

Cirri are nice traveling planes, but they are not the be all, end all plane. Heck, they are a single-engine plane that can't make it through the Comm checkride without fighting the pilot.

I've flown Cirri- it felt like being in a flight sim and about as exciting. OTOH, when I got out of a 1946 C-140 for the first time, you'd have needed a crowbar to pry the smile off. So even though I could fly a Cirrus for less than some other planes I have available, I won't.

Well before u attempt to bbq me and steal my plane.... Know i will kick your ass.

I bought a used sr20 for 100 grand. Had i been rich i would have bought a Meridian or Eclipse. So class envy?? Wow!!

I attend safety classes online and in class. I goto fly ins all the time.

My brother flew in the navy. He said the help handle was smart. Especially since he actually pulled his over indian ocean. Did i mention hes still alive?

To each there own. Not nice to throw stones. Never know if you may be AOG one day and a nice cirrus driver like myself offers to help or give you a ride...

Sorry for any typos but on my ipad

I am so traditional I squeak.
I have been known to drool on the fabric of a really nice old airplane.
And beg like a puppy for the chance to fly a Stinson 103.

So, would I have a plastic fantastic Cirrus SR22 with the glass and the new leather smell and the handle on the roof?
You damn betcha!

Well, except for one little thing - not class envy - I'm a cheap bastard.
I fly a clapped out piece of crap airplane - because I am cheap (and it has two engines)

Actually I just bought a new one 4 days ago. The gross weight is a 60,000 pounds. Wing span is 45 feet. Height is 14 feet. The mains are 76x50-32. It is green and yellow.
And it eats soybeans for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and late night snacks. I'm so excited.
And that is why I don't fly a Cirrus.

So if a pansy Cirrus driver with his Patek Phillipe on his wrist, English worsted wool suit, and hand made Italian loafers should give me a pitying glance in the lounge at the local jet port, I will just sniff as I regally walk away. I own something he can only dream about.

Laughing. Okay, what's your life worth, put a dollar price tag on it?

You can laugh all you want, but the fact of the matter is we all make cost benefit decisions with our life every day and collectively we do not simply "spare no expense". (Does you car have five point harnesses? Why not? Wouldn't the cost be worth it since you might die without it?) The fallacy in your assumption is that the decision maker is presented with a choice, pay $1000 or die. That is simply false.

Of course, you also ignore the part where I said that I wasn't saying that the cost wasn't necessarily worth it. But whatever.

You can laugh all you want, but the fact of the matter is we all make cost benefit decisions with our life every day and collectively we do not simply "spare no expense". (Does you car have five point harnesses? Why not? Wouldn't the cost be worth it since you might die without it?) The fallacy in your assumption is that the decision maker is presented with a choice, pay $1000 or die. That is simply false.

Of course, you also ignore the part where I said that I wasn't saying that the cost wasn't necessarily worth it. But whatever.

You miss the point. The CAP system is STANDARD equipment in the Cirrus. The BRS is STANDARD equipment in the Flight Design CT.

If you don't like or want the safety equipment in your car do you rip it out? Are you pulling your airbags and your ABS brakes? Are you disabling your seat belts? If you are, you are a fool.

The parachute is a major life-saving technology. Those flying without one are simply at higher risk of death and injury. Railing against it is like spitting into the wind.

The silly macho attitude of old timers insisting that they must take-her-down-come-hell-or-high-water is Neanderthal. The technology is evolving - quit fighting it.

An SR-22 was chosen for an 2013 world record attempt by 19-year-old Ryan Campbell to become the youngest pilot to fly solo around the world. On 7 September 2013 he landed back in Australia, making him the youngest pilot to date to navigate around the world.

Is there a point to that information?

What other people choose to buy doesn't matter much to most pilots, nor does the choice somebody makes for some flying stunt.

:D

:dunno:

I don't know where you're from or how old you are, but a Lincoln is NOT a midlife crisis car. Someone going through a midlife crisis wants to regain their youth and what is wrong with that? Nothing. But they sure as heck are not going to do that by getting an old man's car, a Lincoln. Your statement makes no sense at all. It screams confusion to me. Confusion on your part.

You miss the point. The CAP system is STANDARD equipment in the Cirrus. The BRS is STANDARD equipment in the Flight Design CT.

If you don't like or want the safety equipment in your car do you rip it out? Are you pulling your airbags and your ABS brakes? Are you disabling your seat belts? If you are, you are a fool.

The parachute is a major life-saving technology. Those flying without one are simply at higher risk of death and injury. Railing against it is like spitting into the wind.

The silly macho attitude of old timers insisting that they must take-her-down-come-hell-or-high-water is Neanderthal. The technology is evolving - quit fighting it.

Um...no. If you don't like the expense of those items, and think the benefits do not outweigh the weight and expense, and can't find enough pros about the airplane to offset those things, you just buy something else.

It's not like everybody has to buy a Cirrus or CT, and that's just "how it is."

I like having the BRS in my CTSW. but it's just one feature of the airplane, and it DOES have costs. About 35lbs of useful load (a lot to an LSA), and I'd guess about $6k in price, plus a recurring repack and rocket replace expense. I'm happy to make that trade off, but many people make a different calculus. Neither choice is wrong.

It's funny how these things take on a life of their own.

A few examples come to mind. When I started looking at RVs, I was astounded at the number of pilots who dissed them. Of course, not a single one of them had every actually FLOWN an RV, so I took their "advice" with a grain of salt -- and ended up buying one. I've never had so much fun.

The same thing happens with car brands. All of my life, I have considered Lincolns to be "old man cars", and never even considered owning one -- until my sales-gal insisted that I take one for a spin. She thought I would like it -- and she was right. I was blown away -- and bought one.

So, there you have it. People can think what they want, but it may not be based on reality.

Thought the same thing about Goldwings till I bought one. Only problem I see with the RV's is the lack of any reasonable luggage space. Could be a deal killer. Yeah, lots in a 10 but they're too spend for little old fat bald me.

Thought the same thing about Goldwings till I bought one. Only problem I see with the RV's is the lack of any reasonable luggage space. Could be a deal killer. Yeah, lots in a 10 but they're too spend for little old fat bald me.
Luggage space in the -8 is quite generous, with a forward and aft compartment. Mary and I travel with exactly the same baggage as we did with the Pathfinder.

I love RV-10s, but I wanted to get away from the expense of feeding an O-540. But, boy, if you need to carry four plus luggage, there is no better piston plane available.

Is there a point to that information?

He's just a troll. There's no point to anything he posts. My guess is that he gets a kick out of posting obviously incorrect information and watching others step over themselves to correct it.

The good news is that this board has enough activity that a corrective post occurs pretty quick - that way newer pilots aren't led astray by his garbage.

Accurate, too.

Speaking of disliking an aircraft, does anyone else find bizjets about as interesting as vacuum cleaners at Walmart? :lol:
99% of GA is less interesting then vacuum cleaners. Which is why the world mostly doesn't care about flying.

Actually I just bought a new one 4 days ago. The gross weight is a 60,000 pounds. Wing span is 45 feet. Height is 14 feet. The mains are 76x50-32. It is green and yellow.
And it eats soybeans for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and late night snacks. I'm so excited.

John Deere green?

99% of GA is less interesting then vacuum cleaners. Which is why the world mostly doesn't care about flying.
I heartily disagree.

I have yet to meet someone who isn't interested in flying. There are varying levels of interest, ranging from mild to severe, but I've never yet met the soul who isn't amazed at flight in some way.

Additionally, the plethora of aircraft types and models never fails to entertain. As the owner of a somewhat unusual aircraft, I am always being met and questioned about it by non-aviators.

That said, if there is a bizjet with a soul, I haven't seen it.

Luggage space in the -8 is quite generous, with a forward and aft compartment. Mary and I travel with exactly the same baggage as we did with the Pathfinder.

Perhaps, but Mrs. Steingar isn't spending part of her life staring at the back of my fat, bald, graying ugly head.

So what if its standard. It's not free. Neither is maintenance. Nothing you have said changes a word of what I am saying. Also, you seem to imputing an argument to me that I expressly rejected. Please read what I wrote more carefully.

Perhaps, but Mrs. Steingar isn't spending part of her life staring at the back of my fat, bald, graying ugly head.

I'm glad Mrs. Fast Eddie doesn't seem to mind!

8294451946_156f4dc021_z.jpg

I blew in her ear once and now she'll follow me anywhere! :yes:

I don't know where you're from or how old you are, but a Lincoln is NOT a midlife crisis car. Someone going through a midlife crisis wants to regain their youth and what is wrong with that? Nothing. But they sure as heck are not going to do that by getting an old man's car, a Lincoln. Your statement makes no sense at all. It screams confusion to me. Confusion on your part.

agree. RV's are general are owned by old men. Lincolns certainly are. I may someday have an RV but I don't ever foresee being old enough to drive a lincoln.

agree. RV's are general are owned by old men. Lincolns certainly are. I may someday have an RV but I don't ever foresee being old enough to drive a lincoln.
Lol. You sound like me...two months ago. Then...I test drove one.

Go drive a new Lincoln. They ain't an old man car any more. (This old man rides a Suzuki GSX and flies an RV-8, often inverted -- and I ain't bored in the MKS.)

Lol. You sound like me...two months ago. Then...I test drove one.

Go drive a new Lincoln. They ain't an old man car any more. (This old man rides a Suzuki GSX and flies an RV-8, often inverted -- and I ain't bored in the MKS.)
no thanks. I wouldn't buy a wanna-be bmw, I'd just get the real thing if that's the type of car i wanted. It's like owners of mooneys and cessnas always having to explain that their plane is "as good as a bonanza" :stirpot:

no thanks. I wouldn't buy a wanna-be bmw, I'd just get the real thing if that's the type of car i wanted. It's like owners of mooneys and cessnas always having to explain that their plane is "as good better than as a bonanza" :stirpot:
I fixed that for you :D

I am so traditional I squeak.
I have been known to drool on the fabric of a really nice old airplane.
And beg like a puppy for the chance to fly a Stinson 103.

A Stinson 103?

You talking a 108 Voyager?

Well first off, I do not entirely trust composite aircraft, long term. Do you think that a 2014 Cirrus will be flying 60 years from now? But the biggest thing is I do not appreciate their lines. I am sure that it is just me but something that I spend a lot of time and money on has to appeal to me on an aesthetic level and the Cirrus just doesn't do that for me. It is a plastic plane. As I said I admire their speed, but I need more than a machine. If I has Cirrus money (get the pun), I would get the nicest bonanza that I could find.

Same for my boats. The new sailboats have no appeal to me. They may have more room and fancier equipment but there is no artistry. they were designed by a committee working for the marketing department. My sailboat is fiberglass but it has a lot of teak on it and it was designed by a single naval architect named Ted Brewer who had a vision in his mind before he put pencil to paper.
The aesthetic issue is interesting. I grew up building and flying RC models - first balsa along with some plastic but migrated to sailplanes. When I started with 'real' aircraft I trained in Cessnas but again migrated to sailplanes where composites rule because performance rules. High performance is beautiful to my eyes. That aesthetic is part of the Cirrus and I like it.

I can appreciate old things and new things. Aircraft are about performance whether it focuses on super light weight structures. powerful engines or max L/D. Cubs, round engines and unlimited class sailplanes all have an attractive aesthetic - but composites are where the leading edge is and that's what draws my eye.

RV10s are the answer however because that's what I fly.

We were at our temporary home base yesterday when a beautiful SR-22 landed.

We watched as he high-speed taxied to the ramp, crossed the ramp, pulled onto our taxiway, shut down -- and left. He literally left the plane in the middle of the taxiway, blocking it completely, and drove away.

A few minutes later, the airport line guys came out, opened a nearby hangar, found a tug (!), and pushed it in. The taxiway was 100% blocked for over 15 minutes.

Thankfully, we had just returned from our flight, so we weren't leaving, but this guy had no way of knowing whether we were coming or going. I have rarely seen such disregard for airport etiquette.

I'm hoping that he had some dire emergency to respond to, or something, but he didn't appear to be distraught. He just appeared to have no awareness of his surroundings.

Now, could this guy have been flying any other type of aircraft? Sure. Unfortunately, I have seen this sort of dismissive behavior from too many Cirrus drivers, which is why (IMHO) so many people diss the brand.
BTW: I think dissing the aircraft is silly. I don't know anyone who doesn't think the Cirrus is an awesome plane.

A cirrus is an appliance that resembles an airplane in function. A toaster with wings. A means to an end. A bayliner powerboat or hunter sailboat.

Hey! What's wrong with Hunters? I've got a 1994 Hunter 23.5 that sails well (at least when the bottom is clean) and is holding up just fine. Much better than the tupperware boats from MacGreggor (sp?). :D

Back