Crossing the Pacific in a Bonanza

Why is it that the most famous female pilot got lost? That's their role model? :eek:

Wow,.. imagine the climbout from having to takeoff with all that fuel to get to Hawaii?!

Here's a link to a guy that wrote briefly about his experience. (Hawaii to CA)

Last edited:
Oh man, I am so jealous. Not in the "I would tear you down to be in your shoes" way, but in the "my hat's off, I salute you, and will work harder now to be in your shoes someday" way.

I'll be watchin him. Thanks for the link!

Why is it that the most famous female pilot got lost? That's their role model? :eek:
Ah yes, but she was not the navigator... maybe she kept insisting they pull over for directions, and he wouldn't do it. :D

Not sure of this Bo's final destination, but it would be very cool to have Pago Pago in the logbook, :D

A big airshow is held every year in July at a town somewhere in your vicinity. Stop in sometime, they are always on display.
A turbine Bo? I've never seen one.

Well, he was due in almost 3 hours ago and Flightaware is saying "result unkown". I hope it's just due to a lack of communications from Pago Pago.

Well, he was due in almost 3 hours ago and Flightaware is saying "result unkown". I hope it's just due to a lack of communications from Pago Pago.

That's pretty common. Once you get out of FlightAware's range, that's the response you get.

Turbine Bonanza: I've seen one. The typical problem (as with many turbine conversions or other power increases) is insufficient fuel to really take advantage of the engine. Although having an additional 200 gallons in the back seat does help. :)

Last edited:
Any way to get to Australia with out extending the range out past 900 to 1,000 NM? We're thinking of heading that way next year but didn't think taking the Baron would be possible. I haven't seen a way, just wondering.

Best,

Dave

Any way to get to Australia with out extending the range out past 900 to 1,000 NM? We're thinking of heading that way next year but didn't think taking the Baron would be possible. I haven't seen a way, just wondering.

Best,

Dave

Yes, but you have to go the long way, Greenland, Iceland, Faroe Islands, Europe, Asia, Indonesia, Australia. I haven't found anything shorter than that out over the Pacific. Getting to Hawaii is the longest leg, and as close as you can get is about 2,000nm.

Alaska to Russia is an option, but I am unsure of fuel in Siberia on the way to Japan.

Last edited:
Alaska to Russia is an option, but I am unsure of fuel in Siberia on the way to Japan.
I can tell you that the airports in far eastern Russia are very few and far between and that they don't have 100LL. I checked Petropavlovsk where we landed, Magadan, Novy and Anadyr, which were some of our alternates, and none of them show anything other that JetA. Also I think flying around domestically in Siberia is very restricted with many permissions required.

Yes, but you have to go the long way, Greenland, Iceland, Faroe Islands, Europe, Asia, Indonesia, Australia. I haven't found anything shorter than that out over the Pacific. Getting to Hawaii is the longest leg, and as close as you can get is about 2,000nm.

Well....that trip would be a bit longer than we could probably do, but thanks. Looking at a map didn't show anything either.

Thanks Ed.

Dave

I can tell you that the airports in far eastern Russia are very few and far between and that they don't have 100LL. I checked Petropavlovsk where we landed, Magadan, Novy and Anadyr, which were some of our alternates, and none of them show anything other that JetA. Also I think flying around domestically in Siberia is very restricted with many permissions required.

I never said it was a good option. :D I have heard of guys paying to have 100LL shipped in to various locations, that didn't normally have it.

Yes, the GA folks I've known that flew around the world with part of the trip in Russia had to call ahead and have 100LL pre positioned; not an inexpensive undertaking. And spare parts if something went amiss were an issue also.

Best,

Dave

Well....that trip would be a bit longer than we could probably do, but thanks. Looking at a map didn't show anything either.

Thanks Ed.

Dave

Oh, I have looked, and looked, and looked for a good way to get to Hawaii. The best I option I have found is Monterey to the Hilo, about 2,000nm. I am going to make it happen in my Comanche though. Even started the design on the tank to be installed where the rear seats currently are.

Oh, I have looked, and looked, and looked for a good way to get to Hawaii. The best I option I have found is Monterey to the Hilo, about 2,000nm. I am going to make it happen in my Comanche though. Even started the design on the tank to be installed where the rear seats currently are.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piper_PA-24_Comanche
In June 1959 Max Conrad flew a Comanche 250 on a record-breaking distance flight in Fédération Aéronautique Internationale C1-D Class, for aircraft between 3,858 lb (1,750 kg) to less than 6,614 lb (3,000 kg). Having removed the interior seats and replaced them with fuel tanks, Conrad flew non-stop from Casablanca, Morocco to Los Angeles, a distance of 7,668 mi (12,340 km). When the aircraft took off from Casablanca, it was heavily overloaded and just cleared the airport fence.[5] The Comanche 250 which Max Conrad flew for this flight is now located in the museum at the Liberal, Kansas airport.
On November 24, 1959 Conrad flew a Comanche 180 on a record flight in FAI C1-C Class for aircraft taking off at weights between 2,204 lb (1,000 kg) to less than 3,858 lb (1,750 kg)), that is still stands: Casablanca to El Paso, Texas 6,966 mi (11,211 km) non-stop.

Which is why I am not worried about being over gross when I apply for the waiver. :D

Back