• Yes

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
C

Connor1992

Hey people,

I'm pursuing a flight training academy with the ultimate goal of becoming an airline pilot within 5 years. I recently had a couple of bouts of bad stomach cramps with nausea that lasted about a whole day. On one of these occasions, I went to the emergency room and they took a CT scan and told me that my terminal ileum looked slightly thicker than it should, a common sign of Crohns.
Of course, they cannot fully diagnose anything until I have my colonoscopy, which i have scheduled for a month.
So I have not been diagnosed with anything yet and I'm going for my 1st class medical exam next week and am not going to tell the examiner anything.
My conscience is clear in doing this because I haven't had any formal diagnosis yet and am not on any medication, also I am a healthy guy and my flare-ups only seem to happen once every 2 or 3 months or are pretty much nonexistent even longer; other than that I feel great all of the time.
I am just worried after I get my colonoscopy and if I get diagnosed and have to take some kind of medication that will disqualify me down the line and I won't be able to become an airline pilot.
I know that there are some medications that are

I am sorry to hear about that. There are some good doctors on here that can help to advise on the process with the FAA and your chances of approval.
However, even if flare ups are somewhat rare - what happens when one occurs when you are PiC?

Hey people,

So I have not been diagnosed with anything yet and I'm going for my 1st class medical exam next week and am not going to tell the examiner anything.
My conscience is clear in doing this because I haven't had any formal diagnosis yet and am not on any medication, also I am a healthy guy and my flare-ups only seem to happen once every 2 or 3 months or are pretty much nonexistent even longer; other than that I feel great all of the time.
You're required to disclose the ER visit and the CT scan, and the non-diagnosis is very likely to result in deferral or denial from the AME. You may be better off waiting until you have a diagnosis and treatment.

Let's see, you get sudden onset cramps severe enough to send you to the emergency room. Yeap, just the person I want at the controls of an airplane.

Also, a 1st class medical is not valid for the rest of your life. You have to redo it every 6 months.

So, just because you withhold info and get it this time, will it work every 6 months for the rest of your working life?????

If it's simple and controlled by one of the listed items, CACI qualified Colitis (no special issuance)!

Attachments

• CACI(Colitis.Xeljanz-Entyvio_4MD.signature)08.14.21.pdf
    162.6 KB · Views: 179
Well you got the answers from the medical people.Good luck.

Odd that one of the more effective treatments (Humira, an anti TNF) isn't on the approved list. There are no side effects from Humira that would interfere with flying. Maybe they think that a problem severe enough needing a biologic is less controllable than one needing steroids. Which is completely backwards.

And yes, you do need to report that ER visit. Great suggestion to just wait until you get the diagnosis.

You've only had one attack? Doesn't sound like Chron's to be honest.

If it is? Given it might take several months to know if the treatment plan is working, you might have to wait a while.

Not a doctor, but have been dealing with inflammatory disease most of my life and am familiar. Nausea is rarely a symptom of Crohns. You are going to have to get a diagnosis of some kind to give to the FAA. You don't necessarily have to go get the colonoscopy right away. You can bring it up with your PCP and see what he has to say first. Its hard for most people to differentiate between the more common Irritable Bowel Syndrome(IBS) and Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD). Also, I suggest starting a food log. You may just be sensitive or allergic to certain foods. Celiac disease comes to mind. See what you had to eat before you had an attack.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back