Closest Airports

mulligan

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Mulligan
Is there an app or a webpage that will show you the closest airports to a street address? I can see on sectionals where all the available airports are but when traveling to unfamiliar areas would like to find the closest option.

Just look at an electronic map of the area you are interested in, online for free of course. The 'closest' may not be suitable for your situation and weather anyway.

I just happen to recall a few accidents where a pilot tried to shoe-horn into a short field because it was the closest. Just hang around after parking and talk flying, some kind airport bum should offer up a ride. That is, should you land at the better airport 15 miles away.

Is there an app or a webpage that will show you the closest airports to a street address? I can see on sectionals where all the available airports are but when traveling to unfamiliar areas would like to find the closest option.

http://flightwise.com/ai/fa.aspx

"Enter a complete address, or just a city & state (both), or just a zipcode, or a known airport identifier, and we'll find the 10 nearest airports...."

http://flightwise.com/ai/fa.aspx

"Enter a complete address, or just a city & state (both), or just a zipcode, or a known airport identifier, and we'll find the 10 nearest airports...."

Thanks. I have no problem finding airports in an area. I'm just having problems finding which one is closest to a specific address. If it dropped a pin at the address I entered, this would have been perfect. Looks like I'll just use a google map overlay and work it from there. Appreciate all the help.

Thanks. I have no problem finding airports in an area. I'm just having problems finding which one is closest to a specific address. If it dropped a pin at the address I entered, this would have been perfect. Looks like I'll just use a google map overlay and work it from there. Appreciate all the help.
If you enter an exact address in the search field, the airports in the area are listed *in order,* closest one first. The closest one will be one one designated as "A." It doesn't drop a pin at the address you enter, though.

GAH!

Pet peeve.

Flightwise told me that SLO (KSBP) and Oceano (l52) were 8.19538692395332 mi apart. That's almost down to the molecule.

Honestly, for an airfield, distances more precise than 1/2 mile are silly because the runways are at least that long.

GAH!

Pet peeve.

Flightwise told me that SLO (KSBP) and Oceano (l52) were 8.19538692395332 mi apart. That's almost down to the molecule.
Yep. I would take a point off on my physics major students for that. Significant figures, FlightWise.

Back