Civilian Pilot Training Program (1938-44) question.

JackL-3J

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Jack
My 1940 Aeronca 60TF / 65TC was apparently initially sold to the Civilian Pilot Training Program and delivered to a school in Fort Wayne or Logansport Indiana. Then, six years later, it was sold by the Reconstruction Finance Corporation (at Kelly Field, San Antonio Texas) as a surplus L-3J.

After reading a couple books about the CPTC, I am wondering if that entity underwrote or financed sales to flight schools or supplied some of the smaller ones with aircraft.

Much of what I gave read is obviously incorrect. The CAA would not have created paragraphs and sub paragraphs for a single 65TC impressed as a L-3J. I'm wondering if aircraft purchased by the CPTP were routinely transfered or sold to the USAAF (especially if the school they were initially assigned to folded).

I am also wondering what color scheme my 65' wore. All the photos that I have seen have the aircraft in civilian colors, Lock Haven Yellow for Pipers, and Aeronca Orange If impressed or sold to the Army would it have received O.D. as a primary trainer?

The Army swapped the 60 Franklin for a 170-3, but there was also a contemporary CAA Maintenance Note and Air-Cooled Circular that would have required an engine tear-down.

Then, six years later, it was sold by the Reconstruction Finance Corporation (at Kelly Field, San Antonio Texas) as a surplus L-3J. After reading a couple books about the CPTC, I am wondering if that entity underwrote or financed sales to flight schools or supplied some of the smaller ones with aircraft.
The Reconstruction Finance Corporation was a government backed lending institution that loaned money via the US Treasury to fund programs like the CPTP and goes back to the Depression Era. I never researched any Aeroncas but have chased a number of old Piper J3s that were also involved in the CPTP. The FAA Historical Office also has a couple good articles on the CPTP as does the AIr Force Museum archives.
I'm wondering if aircraft purchased by the CPTP were routinely transfered or sold to the USAAF
The best I could figure out, the CPTP was managed by the CAA who contracted 3rd party institutions to provide the training which in turn borrowed money through the RFC to hire instructors and buy aircraft. After Pearl Harbor, when the CPTP name was changed and the military basically took over the records get a bit blurred. A couple of the J3s appeared to cross over to Army Air Corp control but never were modified to an L-4 and the best I could tell never lost their yellow paint.
I am also wondering what color scheme my 65' wore.
My guess since the Aeronca 60 is a pre-CAR aircraft it would have had its civilian colors. Especially if your records indicate it kept a civilian registration through that period from '40 to '46.

The Reconstruction Finance Corporation was a government backed lending institution that loaned money via the US Treasury to fund programs like the CPTP and goes back to the Depression Era. I never researched any Aeroncas but have chased a number of old Piper J3s that were also involved in the CPTP. The FAA Historical Office also has a couple good articles on the CPTP as does the AIr Force Museum archives.

The best I could figure out, the CPTP was managed by the CAA who contracted 3rd party institutions to provide the training which in turn borrowed money through the RFC to hire instructors and buy aircraft. After Pearl Harbor, when the CPTP name was changed and the military basically took over the records get a bit blurred. A couple of the J3s appeared to cross over to Army Air Corp control but never were modified to an L-4 and the best I could tell never lost their yellow paint.

My guess since the Aeronca 60 is a pre-CAR aircraft it would have had its civilian colors. Especially if your records indicate it kept a civilian registration through that period from '40 to '46.
Thanks,

If RFC was the lender / guarantor of the loan for the flight school in Indiana, that would explain the aircraft being assigned to the AAF and later being sold as surplus. It may also explain why it was converted to a 65TC rather than sidelined since it was a listed asset.

L-3s were a diverse bunch. My example was built as a 60TF uunder CAA Certificate A-728-I (along with 50TCs and 50TLs). I have not ffound definitive evidence that any -Is were designated as O-58s or L-3s.

65TCs, either built under A-728-Ii, or converted to -II standards such as my aircraft, were used as trainers and designated L-3J, while those built as observation / liason aircraft were O-58s then L-3s. As far as I can tell, none were built with greenhouse glazing.

L-3As and B's were observation aircraft, built under A-751, with TA fuselages, balanced rudders, and greenhouses.

L-3C's were built under A-751 as trainers. I am uncertain if they had greenhouses. Perhaps some did and some did not based on stated empty weights.

I think that the following is correct.

L-3Ds were 65TFs built under 728-III, L-3Es were TAC's built under 728-V, L-3Fs were 65TAFs built under 728-VI, L-3Gs were 65TALs built under 728-VII, L-3Hs were 65TLs, built under 728-, and L-3Ls were 65TLs built under 728-IV.

The empty weights that I have seen infer that none of these had greenhouses.

I have read some sources who state that CAs and CLs were designated as L-3?s. Perhaps, but Wilipedia, for instance, directly contradicts the CAA Certificate and Maintenance Notes.

Jack: Do you have both the military history card and the FAA file on your aircraft? According to Al Adcock's book, there was only 1 J model in the system, which should be your airframe.

Back