Changing an E-AB after certification

moparrob66

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Moparrob
When your experimental, amateur built aircraft is inspected and registered with FAA as an experimental, what obligation does one have to inform the FAA of a significant modification? If its all kit parts when certified, does replacing, say, the wings with certified Cessna wings, require updating the FAA?

If I build it and register it with one engine and decide to make it a twin, do I need to update the FAA?

I see lots of certified aircraft that become too expensive to keep or make airworthy in accordance with FAA regs, and I understand that its generally frowned upon to make an E-AB from certified parts. Some of these parts planes could be used as good upgrades to a registered E-AB as long as theres no rule or interpretation against it.

Your operating limitations will spell that out - the details have varied over time.

But, in general, a major modification will require going back to phase 1 and may require that you notify the FAA.

Back about 1976 when my E-AB Glider was changed from V tail to a T-tail it required a new fly off. I would expect anything that significantly might change the handling of the airplane is going to require a new fly off period.

Brian

An engine change, especially single to twin is certainly going to require retesting. I would imagine a wing swap would as well.

Back