Chain Tie down

Bowline at pavement end, locking double half hitch on the airplane, secured with another locking double half hitch a few inches down the line.
EAA has a video on these two knots.

http://www.eaavideo.org/video.aspx?v=616323497001

If the line is of decent quality it will do nicely with the double locking half hitch. I've seen some tiedown lines that are too old and stiff for it to work though.. in that case I just tie a bowline and do my best at getting it taut.

Last edited:
Bowline at pavement end, locking double half hitch on the airplane, secured with another locking double half hitch a few inches down the line.

If the line is of decent quality it will do nicely with the double locking half hitch. I've seen some tiedown lines that are too old and stiff for it to work though.. in that case I just tie a bowline and do my best at getting it taut.

Better to use a French or Double Bowline at the anchor to reduce chaffing, or better yet have a leather covered eye on that end and use it as a bight to bring the tail through so you have doubled the surface area and have chaffing protection also.

Last edited:
Exactly. I'd say that at least 90-95% of the airports in the Southwest have only chains on the ramps.

I think the main reason they are used out west is the winds are stronger and chains are more idiot proof. A tie down line of good quality is going to get the job done, but only if its tied properly. Some folks struggle with knots. I've seen some pretty good examples...

Personally I like the look of a plane tied down with nice taut lines than a couple of rusty chains. But they both work.

Better to use a French or Double Bowline at the anchor to reduce chaffing, or better yet have a leather covered eye on that end and use it as a bight to bring the tail through so you have doubled the surface area and have chaffing protection also.

That's a good idea. If the anchor eye is sufficiently big enough to allow two passes of the line

I think the main reason they are used out west is the winds are stronger and chains are more idiot proof. A tie down line of good quality is going to get the job done, but only if its tied properly. Some folks struggle with knots. I've seen some pretty good examples...

Personally I like the look of a plane tied down with nice taut lines than a couple of rusty chains. But they both work.

No, the reason they use them out west is that they don't degrade from the UV and you only buy them once. Lines hold be replaced every few years.

That locking double half hitch is what was commonly used at our club when one of our planes was damaged in the wind. That is why they switched to the mustang knot.

...Personally I like the look of a plane tied down with nice taut lines than a couple of rusty chains. But they both work.

And ropes don't get your hands as dirty as rusty chains do!

Back