Cash is King

Perspective, folks. It's all a matter of perspective. Here's what the present market "correction" looks like in the context of the past 5 years:

you're comparing one day to 5 years? it was a pretty heavy one day drop, that's all I'm sayin'. it's not every day the dow drops 1000+ points.

"The Dow Jones Industrial Average (^DJI) fell over 1,000 points. The Nasdaq Composite (^IXIC) was crushed by more than 3.4%. The S&P 500's (^GSPC) losses cascaded nearly 3% in its worst day since 2022, capping its worst start to any month since 2002."

you're comparing one day to 5 years? it was a pretty heavy one day drop, that's all I'm sayin'. it's not every day the dow drops 1000+ points.

"The Dow Jones Industrial Average (^DJI) fell over 1,000 points. The Nasdaq Composite (^IXIC) was crushed by more than 3.4%. The S&P 500's (^GSPC) losses cascaded nearly 3% in its worst day since 2022, capping its worst start to any month since 2002."

I'm saying that almost anything that happens over a day or a week is pretty insignificant if you're taking the long view and considering your investments over the course of years rather than playing day-trader.

Or, said another way - the market had a day worse than this just two years ago. Also keep in mind that 1000 point drops will become more common over time as the Dow increases in value. (At the turn of the 21st century a 1000 point drop would have been 10% of its value)

Heavy one day drop? Oh yeah. It was “Ouch”!

But we’ve seen worse. And it always comes back. Don’t get me wrong - it’s a bad mood generator for sure. But worrying about it won’t do anything.

Don’t worry, be happy

Reactions: WDD
Markets will recover , inflation related money value drop never does ( even though inflation itself may eventually disappear )

btw - cash is king - except for places that don't take cash anymore like for airplane "food" (hey, aviation content) and some public transportation and other places...

I have about $22 in loose change in a coffee can in the other room, I sure don't feel like a king

In the immortal words of Louis Rukeyser:
" Markets fluctuate, they fluc down, and they fluc up."

I'm saying that almost anything that happens over a day or a week is pretty insignificant if you're taking the long view and considering your investments over the course of years rather than playing day-trader.

Markets climb a wall of worry. When the markets get too far ahead of themselves, they pull back and spend some time filling in the gaps.

It's necessary for short term rates to be higher than long term rates (inverted yield curve - IYC), but that is not sufficient for a recession. I'm not sure how long we've had an IYC, but when I went to park the cash from selling my Silicon Valley house, of all the Vanguard fixed income funds I checked, their US Treasury Money Market funds had a higher yield than their short-, medium-, and long-term bond funds,

Back