C29 Middleton Muni/Morey Field PIREP

robin ardoin

Cleared for Takeoff
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Robard
I am planning to fly to a rifle match in Lodi, WI in August. I'll be up there about a week. I see on ForeFLight that the FBO (Morey Airplane Co.) lists rental cars and hangars. Anyone with experience at that FBO or other suggestions for an airport with hangar options convenient to Lodi would be appreciated.

I’d vote for Wisconsin Aviation at KMSN, we used them as a training spot and from what I remember is they don’t charge any fees.

Both are great options. I like middleton because it's small and friendly. I like MSN because the view of the state capital on the peninsula is worth the hassle of dealing with a Charlie and it's not a busy Charlie.

From a proximity standpoint either location would be fine. Since I will be up there from Monday, departing Sunday, and desiring a hangar I figured C29 may be cheaper. I just saw a cost of $50/night at MSN which is acceptable. I fly into several busy Class C's so that is a non-issue but it is nice to have a short taxi in the heat of the summer ;) . Probably would be easier to get a rental from MSN, but, I have not called the FBO at C29 yet....maybe easy there also. I do like friendly.:)

Flown in to C29 many times, but always get picked up by family. Super nice laid back people. Right off the highway.

Morey Field in Middleton is easy to fly in and out, but watch out for the towers just south of the field. The nearby National Mustard Museum is a one-of-a-kind place to visit with a crew car. As for the FBO, I’ve taxied by maybe 8 times and they’re generally not busy; the ramp activity mostly looks like just one trainer coming and going. Uber/Lyft should be available as they’re at the edge of a substantial metropolitan area. Have you considered nearby Baraboo? I haven’t used the Baraboo airport, but that’s a tourist area, so I’d bet their services are better than at most small towns.

Never considered Baraboo. I do have a room booked in Waunakee so I will fly in to Morey or MSN. If I can get a reasonable Turo or rental car that can handle my gear, I’ll go with Morey. I know I can get a ‘normally’ priced rental at the terminal at MSN, avoiding the FBO ‘tax’. When it gets closer I’ll find out what hangar fees are at each facility. That will likely be the deciding factor.

Back