Boeing’s on a streak...

Sounds like a United maintenance issue.
Why do you think it's a maintenance issue? Parts break. This is at least the fifth wheel departing incident this year.

Here are a few from Google, stolen from another forum, since 2020.

One in Jan 2020 but the pay wall prevents me from seeing any details.
An Air Canada A319 lost a wheel at LaGuardia in 2020.
A 747 Dreamlifter lost a wheel on takeoff in 2022.
Delta lost a nose wheel on a 757 in Atlanta in January.
United 777, March.
A military airplane Westover ARB, MA in February.
A FlySafair 737, April.
United 757, LAX, July.

Eh. They kinda earned it, so I can't feel badly about. It will be interesting to see how long it lasts.

Also interesting that it's the whole company. I remember the DC-10 problems, and that didn't become a McDD thing, it was just a DC-10 thing. Then on the other hand, that was a maintenance problem, if I remember correctly, not a manufacturing problem, and I don't remember that companies management being exposed as covering it up. Similar with the Pinto. That was a Pinto thing, not a Ford thing, even if they did know about the problems. I was in grade school at the time, though, so not sure about any of the facts.
DC-10...Chicago...family saw that happen...ugh. The Pinto was not an oversight, though IMHO.

Couldn't help but think of this one only us older seasoned folks might recall (credit Richard Dawson):"My idea of a loser is Rodney Dangerfield driving a Pinto on his way to the airport to get on a DC-10 and he gets hit by Skylab!"

DC-10...Chicago...family saw that happen...ugh. The Pinto was not an oversight, though IMHO.

Couldn't help but think of this one only us older seasoned folks might recall (credit Richard Dawson):"My idea of a loser is Rodney Dangerfield driving a Pinto on his way to the airport to get on a DC-10 and he gets hit by Skylab!"

And of course the Pinto would be on Firestone tires.....

Why do you think it's a maintenance issue? Parts break. This is at least the fifth wheel departing incident this year.
My point was that this doesn't sound like a current Boeing quality issue. You can argue that it's acceptable if maintenance procedures don't prevent critical parts departing the aircraft,and I'm not gonna go down that rabbit hole. It wasn't my point.

My point was that this doesn't sound like a current Boeing quality issue. You can argue that it's acceptable if maintenance procedures don't prevent critical parts departing the aircraft,and I'm not gonna go down that rabbit hole. It wasn't my point.
I don't know the causes of any on the recent wheel PDA events. The ones that I do know the causes of were due to bearing failures which are more likely a result of a manufacturing or material defect.

Back