Boating/Fishing Could Be Cool Too

(Don't get many good pictures of the boat you are on...)

The only pictures I could find of my ski boat were the ones I took to list the one I just sold.

Never a truer statement. Went to prove Gismo wrong by pulling up a pic of my Mastercraft and could not find it. But these two I took jumped right out of the My Pictures folder. Blowbote is my Uncle's, blue hull w/ the Blues was taken from my Mastercraft this year @ Annapolis just to see if I could time it right.

(Given the 'good pic of your boat' karma life deals us all, I actually tracked down a supposed email for the owner of the blue hull and asked if he wanted a hi-res copy, but never heard back.)

Now I feel challenged: I'll make an effort to get a new, cool photo of my own boat next weekend at the lake . . .

Attachments

• scutes1.jpg
    scutes1.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 10
  • noelani1.jpg
    noelani1.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 13
I lived on my sailboat for twelve years in San Diego Bay while I built my business. I was in my thirties and early fourties. I really had a good time. True, in the winter it would get downright chilly, frost on the docks and such, but most live aboards have heaters. It was downright cozy once you got settled in for the night. I was in a slip, so I had electrical and telephone hook ups. Cell phones were still in the lab in those days.

John

Yep, liveaboard. I lived aboard in San Diego in the Commercial Basin back when it was an anchorage, out in Rock n Roll before they put in the moorings (they had to set the moorings around me). In the anchorage I'de heat with a Coleman Lantern that had a black out glass that I made using Krylon BBQ Black. I'd catch lobsters off the back of my boat on the incoming tide and trade them at Loma Bonita for Carne Asada or Carnitas burritos (still the best burritos in SoCal). Then I lived at Bay City Marina back in the days when The Neck owned it and Ranger lived there and we had the old docks (before Driscoll bought it out for the AC syndicate). It was the best liveaboard marina ever in SoCal. Many many marina wide Safety Meetings were held on a daily basis. I was living on my Catalina 27 back then.

However, how often did you pull away from the dock and go sailing? I bet not often, because it's a major PITA to stow to get underweigh. Probably 10% or less of all the boats in SD are liveaboards, and of those, maybe 2% have left the dock in the last decade.

That certainly used to be true. Dunno about today.

Henning, what say you? What are the quality boats today in the 40' - 60' range?

-Skip

In a production boat? Probably the only one I'd recommend is a Hinckley. There really is not much left for a quality boat. They've all seen far to many compromises to weight savings/speed, creature comfort and open space to be very good boats in that size range. If you want a really good boat anymore, you have to custom build it.

Is Egg Harbor Yachts still around?

Yeah, kinda sorta, everybody is scaled down and furloughed at the moment. Eggs aren't what they were 40 years ago though, still better than an Ocean, and pretty much on par with a Viking in the Sport Fishers. The best SFs though are being built around Beaufort NC these days. Buddy Davis makes a good boat as well, as does Merit, but $$$$$$$$

(Don't get many good pictures of the boat you are on...)

She looks a bit different now after the refit (can you imagine having to do a $2.5MM refit on a brand new $12.5MM boat...:eek::yikes: Brings the term "Made in China" to a new level)

pic1.jpg

She looks a bit different now after the refit (can you imagine having to do a $2.5MM refit on a brand new $12.5MM boat...:eek::yikes: Brings the term "Made in China" to a new level)

All that money, and they still forgot to step the mast?????

Here's one for you. George "Sonny" Hodgdon(now deceased) was a customer of mine for quite a few years. I think his son, Tim, was in charge of this one. I was aboard her when she was about 80% finished. There was a grand piano aboard(correction: it may have been a large electronic organ) as well as a few other little creature comforts. http://www.luxist.com/2007/06/15/scheherezade-yacht-for-sale/

HR

Last edited:
"It was the best liveaboard marina ever in SoCal. Many many marina wide Safety Meetings were held on a daily basis. I was living on my Catalina 27 back then."

Mine was an Erikson 27. I had a slip on D dock at Half Moon Anchorage, about fifty or so feet from the outdoor stage at Humphreys. Lot of free concerts, lot of fun.

John

Last edited:
"It was the best liveaboard marina ever in SoCal. Many many marina wide Safety Meetings were held on a daily basis. I was living on my Catalina 27 back then."

Mine was an Erikson 27. I had a slip on D dock at Half Moon Anchorage, about fifty or so feet from the outdoor stage at Humphreys. Lot of free concerts, lot of fun.

John

What years were you there? I used to pull around back there for concerts. I was there '84-'88. Southwest Airlines used to put up their stews there and they'd come over and party with us at the Shelter Island Beach fire rings. AA by The Bay was funny, they'd have a meeting by one fire ring and we'd be drinking beer at the next....:rofl::rofl::rofl:

1972 till 1984. I bought my house in 1984, moved in July 4th. I was in my early fourties and had just spent the winter crawling into my hole in the water every night, same as I had done for years, but this year it seemed to really bother me for the first time. Every night I would look up at all the homes on the side of the hill on Point Loma, where most of my family and friends lived. I almost felt like a hobo crawling into his cardboard box. For some reason, probably my age, it was demoralizing as hell.

I rented and apartment and moved off the boat, then I bought my house, up on the side of the hill in Point Loma. Now that I had a house to work on, my boat became one of those boats I had promised myself mine would never become. It was just sitting in my slip, never leaving the dock. I sold it a few years later.

I would not trade those years living aboard for anything else, they just got a little old after twelve years.

John

Here's one for you. George "Sonny" Hodgdon(now deceased) was a customer of mine for quite a few years. I think his son, Tim, was in charge of this one. I was aboard her when she was about 80% finished. There was a grand piano aboard(correction: it may have been a large electronic organ) as well as a few other little creature comforts. http://www.luxist.com/2007/06/15/scheherezade-yacht-for-sale/

HR

Show, that's a beauty. Found more pictures here:

http://www.burgessyachts.com/SaleAndPurchase/YachtSpecs.asp?thisID=12869&YachtName=SCHEHERAZADE

But I'd want something I could land a helicopter on. ;)

I have a couple calendars -- now far out of date -- which feature this beauty. The lady friend of the owner of the ship was a very good photographer and she had photo-documented just about every step of the way while the vessel was under construction.
The lady had stretched the calendar project over 2, maybe 3 years. Another customer of mine worked for Hodgdon Brothers and he got me the calendars which are large(2 x 3?).

The keel bolts, from the photographs, looked to be 5" or 6" thick - seemingly, to me, huge. At one point I think the ship was for sale for somewhere over 27 million $; however, Hodgdon would never disclose what the owner had paid for the ship.

HR

Years ago I was home sick with nothing much to do but read and watch daytime T.V.

I watched a commercial, one that I can't seem to forget, it was about an R.V. The one they were showing was exceptionally large, it was huge, probably had an indoor swimming pool, or bowling alley, maybe both. (I'm being facetious)

Anyway, the scene was an older fellow, much like myself now, helping what appeared to be about a four or five year old child get on board. The announcer was actually saying this with a straight face: "Teach your grandchildren what camping is all about."

When I look at those yacht photos, somehow it seems to remind me of that silly commercial years ago.

John

Or if one wants to play with the big boats, here's a couple. I took these on July 30 while taking my boat from Bath, Maine to Five Islands(Georgetown). The first shot is of Bath Iron Works which shows a couple U.S. Navy ships on the ways. There is a secured area outside which recreational boaters must stay. The 2nd shot is a whale watching excursion boat out of Boothbay Harbor. Its wake gave my 20 footer a bit of bow slapping. And when I went past Daymark #2 there was a lot of screaming going on. I suspect there were some baby ospreys up there.

HR

Attachments

• Big Boats_1.jpg
    Big Boats_1.jpg
    371.7 KB · Views: 5
  • Big Boats_2.jpg
    Big Boats_2.jpg
    422.7 KB · Views: 3
  • Big Boats_3.jpg
    Big Boats_3.jpg
    341.6 KB · Views: 4
Back