Best iPad Mini Kneeboard?

CC268

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
CC268
Hey guys,

Do you guys have any recommendations on a good iPad Mini kneeboard? There are so many out there and I would like to get something that is functional and good quality.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Lots out there for sure.

I settled on a iPro air commander (for my iPad Air, but they also make one for the mini) and ordered it from Aircraft Spruce. It's all aluminum with a flip over writing surface (I use large yellow stickies), robust hinge and if somehow you do manage to break it they will replace it. What I don't like is the single pen holder on the strap. I would prefer at least two pen holders on the actual body of the kneeboard.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for your input - they have an iPro Aviator for the mini that looks great as well. I will definitely keep that in mind.

Lots out there for sure.

I settled on a iPro air commander (for my iPad Air, but they also make one for the mini) and ordered it from Aircraft Spruce. It's all aluminum with a flip over writing surface (I use large yellow stickies), robust hinge and if somehow you do manage to break it they will replace it. What I don't like is the single pen holder on the strap. I would prefer at least two pen holders on the actual body of the kneeboard.
I'll second that. I use the iPro Aviator/M with my 1st generation iPad mini.
<http://www.forpilotsonly.com/iPad-mini-kneeboard.htm>

Anyone else have any suggestions?

I think there's another thread on this somewhere, at least it was on the old site before we changed over, maybe a search will find it.

Will do - I know I did a search in the past and some suggestions came up, but they were mostly older threads - not sure if there was some new stuff that was released.

My preference is to not have the ipad on my kneeboard. Reasons:
  1. Positioning is too much heads down. Especially when your eyes should be outside the cockpit.
  2. Location is better served for a pad of paper to write down clearances, weather, frequencies, etc.
  3. Location for me is a glare catcher.

Also as a 5hr student, you're a bit early to be going with an iPad. Closer to checkride, sure. But now, put that $450-600 into flight lessons and use a paper sectional. K.I.S.S.

Also as a 5hr student, you're a bit early to be going with an iPad. Closer to checkride, sure. But now, put that $450-600 into flight lessons and use a paper sectional. K.I.S.S.

You must be thinking of a different guy, I have my PPL already :p - just kidding

My preference is to not have the ipad on my kneeboard. Reasons
  1. Location is better served for a pad of paper to write down clearances, weather, frequencies, etc.

You missed the part about the flip over clipboard. If you like paper, there is a notepad right there where you need it.

You missed the part about the flip over clipboard. If you like paper, there is a notepad right there where you need it.
Doesn't help that your eyes are way down in the cockpit

Doesn't help that your eyes are way down in the cockpit

Don't understand why you think this is an issue?
No different from reading a sectional on my lap during a solo a cross country on my way to getting my PPL in 1974, except now I can expand the map so its easier to see the details.

Like anything else on the panel or in the cockpit, it's a problem if one gets fixated. Maybe easier for that to happen playing with all the gee-whiz features of the software I suppose, but that's no different if it is yoke mounted, or anywhere else.

Last edited:
Think I wil get the iPro Aviator for the mini and then maybe the RAM yoke mount as well...

I just have my mini in a small soft canvas flip open belkin case from Walmart, I had a elastic strap stiched across the front cover to hold a small legal pad on and a hoop for a pen, works great, just sits on my lap when needed, pax seat or elsewhere when not, this has been true for everything from float planes to turbo props in the flight levels. Not a fan of strapping crap to your legs

No different from reading a sectional on my lap during a solo a cross country on my way to getting my PPL in 1974, except now I can expand the map so its easier to see the details.

Like anything else on the panel or in the cockpit, it's a problem if one gets fixated. Maybe easier for that to happen playing with all the gee-whiz features of the software I suppose, but that's no different if it is yoke mounted, or anywhere else.

I have done both: fly with paper and with iPads extensively. Flying with the iPad most definitely brings your head into the cockpit more often then paper.

There is simply more information available through the iPad and more functions that you will want to play with on the iPad.

I agree with a couple of other comments in this thread: get close to your private pilots license or possibly wait until you get the license before doing the iPad thing.

The thread was started by a 5hr student.... which is the perspective I am taking for my replies in this thread. And fixation is the area of concern.

As experienced pilots, we already have the habit of recognizing that our focus has been "in the cockpit" or "way from the instruments" for too long and we must switch to outside or the instruments to make sure the blue and brown side are in the correct orientation.

But a student pilot has yet to develop that skill. Thus my comments are suggesting that his iPad not be mounted so low. For his stage of experience, a Ram X-mount on the glare screen or yoke mount would be a better fit.

But once CC (and anyone else) has sufficient experience, I don't really care where you put it. Even the aft lavatory would be fine.

The thread was started by a 5hr student.... which is the perspective I am taking for my replies in this thread. And fixation is the area of concern.

As experienced pilots, we already have the habit of recognizing that our focus has been "in the cockpit" or "way from the instruments" for too long and we must switch to outside or the instruments to make sure the blue and brown side are in the correct orientation.

But a student pilot has yet to develop that skill. Thus my comments are suggesting that his iPad not be mounted so low. For his stage of experience, a Ram X-mount on the glare screen or yoke mount would be a better fit.

But once CC (and anyone else) has sufficient experience, I don't really care where you put it. Even the aft lavatory would be fine.

I missed the 5hr student part, agree 100%

In that case DONT buy a iPad or any flight computers till you earn your ticket.

Learn everything and get proficient at everything the most basic way you can, pen and paper, you need a god foundation, it would be like letting your kid who's learning addition and subtraction use a calculator for everything, not laying a good foundation down.

Get your PPL then start thinking about adding electronics to the mix

Understand. Thanks.

Agree with the various postings by you and others that a fixation with technology isn't a substitution for understanding & learning how to fly an airplane properly. And the technology may be a distraction to that end. AF 447 comes to mind.

I will agree with the gallery that where to put your iPad is a bit of a "Great Taste/Less Filling Dodge/Ford/Chevy truck" personal choice.
Agree with the various postings by you and others that a fixation with technology isn't a substitution for understanding & learning how to fly an airplane properly. And the technology may be a distraction to that end. AF 447 comes to mind.
Very much so. And I'm as much guilty of it as any student pilot. In 2010 when I was getting my license, pads and tablets and EFB's were just barely starting to make an appearance. I didn't have one, but the aircraft I trained in did have a Garmin 430W. Too frequently, between a maneuver I practiced or was being taught, the instructor wanted to fiddle and twiddle with the unit, and in a way that wasn't adding anything of significance to the lesson. In hindsight, I do think his desire to play with the electronics added a few hours of wasted time before I was signed off for the checkride (and at $165 per dual training hour).

And during my IFR training, there were a few episodes where if I had set the iPad aside and focused on the basics of what I was being taught, I wouldn't have gotten so tripped up on that particular lesson.

I've had a few hangar flying discussions that propose that most PPL students should be trained in tail draggers with very basic avionics and leave the portable stuff in the car. Looking back at my experience in the 300 hours logged, I can see their point of view and agree.

PS. to CC -- We're not picking on or bashing you being a 5hr student and asking a question such as this.

It's the usual ebb and flow of a discussion form where a new to the club member asks a valid question, and the herd takes the bit into their teeth and tramples each other about who's opinion is worth listening to. :) ;)

yup. here's some photos of my iPro Aviator/iPad.
DSC_0012.JPG

DSC_0015.JPG

DSC_0016.JPG

I don't spend any more time looking down at my notes or iPad than I do looking at the sectional I always have handy.

No problem...didn't mean for it to turn into that...I am learning everything on paper but thought that learning the electronic way along the way with the help of my instructor would allow me to be both proficient with the old paper methods and with electronic methods...maybe I was wrong though

And during my IFR training, there were a few episodes where if I had set the iPad aside and focused on the basics of what I was being taught, I wouldn't have gotten so tripped up on that particular lesson.
I try to treat my EFB as an enhanced chart and set it aside often. It is on a yoke mount but it has a switch that turns the screen off. Mine is off unless I want to use it for something. That means checking weather or having an approach plate up, etc. other than distraction, it has the benefit of conserving battery and making overheating less likely.

Integrating an iPad properly is, to me, as much a part of training as using an onboard GPS or setting navs and comms [edit]

Last edited:
Commas?

I some recent XC's, I've been putting the pad to sleep with the off button more frequently than before. Especially on a route I've done a few times in the past. Then wake it up for a few minutes to get an updated bit of info (like a METAR).

And like you, I'm figuring out how to use it to nag/remind me of something that could be easily forgotten as I drone along.

Back