Best insurance providers?

Awoods

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Awoods
Hello!

My husband and I both have our PPL's and are working on getting our instrument ratings. We are starting to look at buying a plane and know insurance can play a big role in that. What companies do you recommend for low time pilots buying their first plane?

Thanks!

Broker is the way. There are only a couple insurers that don’t sell through brokers (Avemco is one). But Ladd and his folks will find the best policy for you based on the airplane and your experience.

Can't say enough about Vickie Denueville at AIR-Pros. Excellent service, and will scour the market to get you fixed up.

Something like a trainer is very reasonable insurance wise.

A broker will compare various policy offerings from the companies and give you their best recommendation.

INSURANCE COVERAGE CAUTION FOR PILOTS FLYING UNDER BASIC MED. My broker recommended Old Republic several years ago and I have insured my two airplanes with them for several years. I renewed my policy a couple weeks ago and this time around in the fine print Old Republic put in a restriction that I am only covered if I have a CFI or other qualified PPL pilot with a FAA Class III in the right seat - like I’m going to have another pilot baby sit me in the right seat. Student pilots signed off for solo fights don’t even have a restriction like that. I have been flying for many many years and have have a current PPL; NEVER had an incident/accident, claim, or the dreaded “I have a number for you to call” incident and I’m flying in and out of the DC SFRA very near P40 where there are many opportunities to screw up. I am current with all FAA PPL requirements. IF I HAD NOT NOTICED THE FINE PRINT A COUPLE DAYS AGO I WOULD BE FLYING UNINSURED! I had no idea Old Republic would pull crap like that. I elected to go with Basic Med since my Cherokees will not reach 18,000 ft, they only have 4 seats on a cold day, are only good for less than ~130 kts unless the nose is pointed down. Plus I got tired of the FAA Class III red tape and expense. My last FAA class III about 4 years ago had no restrictions. My health and great uncorrected eyesight have not changed since then so I’m confident I can easily pass a FAA Class III or Class II if I wanted but why should I? I’m ****ed Old Republic did not flag this restriction change to my policy to make sure I knew about it. My broker is currently looking for another insurance company that does not discriminate against Pilots flying under Basic Med. I suggest you think twice before using this company.

I am insured by Old Republic and I have verified basic med is acceptable.

There must be more to the story. Is age a factor?

Back