Best aviation organizations

ArrowFlyer86

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
The Little Arrow That Could
With AOPA removing VREF access I decided to cancel my subscription, there's just no other tangible services they provide nor do I hear much about their advocacy work.
But now I've got some leftover money earmarked for aviation that needs a home.

Any suggestions on worthwhile organizations to support?

Right now the top 2 that come to mind are EAA and RAF.

Does you local airport have an orginization? With many airports under fire these days, seem to be a way to unite and support.

I too will be dumping AOPA, but I will still suppoort EAA as there is a very active local chapter that is looking out for our airport.

I left AOPA as they were going in a direction that I wasn't. Been an EAA member for a number of years and they fit much better with what I view as my very small part of aviation with my home built experimental aircraft.

Our chapter is having a fly-in at 5J5 (Holly Hill, SC) on May 4th. 5J5 is a 3900' turf field in good condition.

Recently I was invited to career day at a local elementary school to talk to the children about aviation. Hopefully I can keep it simple and down to a level that will be understandable for them and yet intriguing also.

Perhaps a few of them will go home and tell mom & dad that a pilot at their school said they could get a free Young Eagles ride in an airplane if mom and dad say it's OK. Maybe the parents will want to come to the fly-in and see what it's all about.

EAA - Learn, Build, & Fly!

Does you local airport have an orginization? With many airports under fire these days, seem to be a way to unite and support.

I too will be dumping AOPA, but I will still suppoort EAA as there is a very active local chapter that is looking out for our airport.
I don't think my homedrome has an org that's unique to my airport...

From my own experience and research EAA seems to be the best bet.
Between OshKosh, Young Eagles flights, and having a membership that's enthusiastic about volunteering for different local events and helping answer questions for pilots, it seems like a good org.
They're big enough to have some clout with regulation (or at least their voices heard), and at least from what I can see the members seem genuinely interested in protecting the freedom to fly.

Been an AOPA member for 5y and I don't think they're bad or anything. They do have some good write-ups and resources, but they kinda feel more like a DC lobby group instead of a real pilot org.

Is there a state pilots organization, such as Colorado Pilots Assoc or New Mexico Pilots Assoc? Out here, bothnrun the mountain flying courses, advocate at the state house, flyins, career days at schools, etc. Right now Colorado Pilots Assoc is leading the charge (with 99s, WAI, the Colorado Aviation Business group, some of the EAA chapters) at the state legislature dealing with a bill brought by homeowners regarding noise & lead at local airports, etc. My EAA chapter is not just ignoring the whole thing, but is actively ridiculing it, because the airport where its based with isn’t targeted. Hence I resigned from the board and the chapter.

AOPA response when I contacted them a few months ago? “We work at the national level and encourage locals to work locally.” Another reason I didn’t renew AOPA a number of years ago.

Last edited:
Back