Baron 58P

GaryP1007

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
GaryP1007
I suddenly have the opportunity to buy a Baron 58P which will fit my mission profile nicely. I have about 1600 hours in complex high performance airplanes but no multi time.

Any owners of the 58P that can talk about their experiences with this plane would be great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you gotten an insurance quote yet? I'm not a 58P owner, but I'm a recent (~1yr) Duke owner. I had about 700 hours of mutli before I bought my Duke, so insurance wasn't too bad. But I know a few people who struggled to get insurance in a normal 58 Baron due to lack of multi time.

Checkout Beechtalk. Bunch of P-Baron owners there, along with a few legit 58P "gurus." While they're capable airplane, nobody is ever going to tell you they're not maintenance intensive. My Duke is the same way. There are simply a LOT of systems that all have to work together just right. If you're not an owner-assisted maintenance guy, just make sure you have a good understanding of what annual inspections are going to run, and what parts on the 58P are unobtanium.

I will say, once you go pressurized, it's damn hard to go back.

definitely check insurance. No multi or pressurized time - might be a challenge with the 58P. I imagine London might be one of those that /might/ write it. I think you should get your multi first - and then pursue it. There are several places that train in a b55 baron. If you have the choice - you might choose one of those schools to get some "baron" time eventhough it does not count as time in type. But at least when you go to them, you'll have 1600 TT, x number complex, x multi but some of that multi will be baron which will be better than seminole. . .

It really depends on how they are writing as to whether they will.

But a pressurized baron is a nice plane - albeit heavy. personally we went with a 421C over a P baron. But both are great flying planes. Just dont let your wife sit in a 421 before deciding. Once she sits in a 421, the baron has no chance.

As Anthem mentioned, I’d strongly recommend getting your initial multi rating in something other than your P Baron (assuming you end up owning!). A school with a Baron would of course be better than some other twin, but the main reason being, engine-out training can be kind of hard on turbo engines. Sure, it can be done, but better with somebody else’s NA ‘trainer’.

As Anthem mentioned, I’d strongly recommend getting your initial multi rating in something other than your P Baron (assuming you end up owning!). A school with a Baron would of course be better than some other twin, but the main reason being, engine-out training can be kind of hard on turbo engines. Sure, it can be done, but better with somebody else’s NA ‘trainer’.

yep and insurance will price you out as having a multi rating, rather than without one and training in the Pbaron to get the multi-rating and the rest of the year.

Based on my recent-ish experience in the insurance market, I'd guess he's totally uninsurable without getting the multi-engine rating first. As in, I suspect he won't even get quotes back.

Based on my recent-ish experience in the insurance market, I'd guess he's totally uninsurable without getting the multi-engine rating first. As in, I suspect he won't even get quotes back.

I hope you're wrong. .
Appreciate everyone's two cents.

My experience was with a 310, so not a pressurized plane but otherwise similar. And it was 3 years ago. But my insurance agent went to bat for me and even reached out to companies she was confident would never give me a quote. It ended up being one of those unlikely places that gave the best quote for me to go from my first multi-engine hour to my rating in the 310. Make them tell you no.

The presurized market is very different than the unpressurized market. They will insure barons, 310s, seminoles/seneca as no time multi pilots. Pressurized brings an entire other set of circumstances and requirements. When I went pressurized (even in a piston single) / they required instrument (which I already had) and a class 1/2/3 medical. Basic med was not allowed on any of the pressurized policies. I had both (class 3 and BM at the time) - and they flat out said - if they didn’t see a valid medical 60 days from Insurance bind date on the FAA airmen search - they would cancel the policy. So you can’t “transition” to basic med if you wanted to as well.

But having “pressurized” time is another category for them. It’s like “retractable” time. Not an official category, but for insurance it is. So having pressurized time in a single makes it easier to get insurance in a multi or turboprop if it’s pressurized

But having “pressurized” time is another category for them. It’s like “retractable” time. Not an official category, but for insurance it is. So having pressurized time in a single makes it easier to get insurance in a multi or turboprop if it’s pressurized
I’ve heard the same for turbine time. Spend a few years flying turboprop spray planes and you’ll be more insurable in a King Air. The same kind of insanity as giving me insurance in a B-17 because I have a bunch of J-3 Cub time.

I got 3 quotes and they were all around $10.5 with 10 hours of instructor time.

Back