Bahamas Trip in July

Skylark23

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Skylark
I've been considering a trip to Bahamas in mid-July. I know not the best time of year, hot, thunderstorms, etc. Any tips for hitting up the Bahamas in July?

There is a great face book page called Flying the Bahamas. A lot of great info there.

I fly over about every three weeks myself. July does have a few storms but the weather is not that bad honestly. Are you looking to explore more by plane or to explore the islands themselves?

Most first time folks will jump over to Abaco to test the waters for a first trip. I personally would stay away from Bimini, Freeport and Nassua.

I am planning to go by airplane. We have roughly 10 days to get down and back with buffer so I think a few islands would be a good trip.

My first trip to Bahamas (thread is on here somewhere) was KFPR->MYEF (then I island hopped a bit). I bought the AOPA guide, watched some youtubes (some guy in an Aztec laid it out very well), got FlashPass (worth every penny). VFR down, IFR back dead simple. I picked MYEF because it was away from the busy-ness of the bigger places, it was AOE, and Odessy down there is fantastic.

But I went in March. I went to a conference in Orlando once in August - I'm never going back south during the summer again. I'm of the North, and the North remembers.

Just curious... why Bimini?
Bimini has become Miami east. With the big resort and the fast ferry everybody and their brother runs over.
You have an airplane, use it to go more than 50 miles off Florida.

My suggestion for the OP, since you have the time - Fly to MYAT (Treasure Cay) and go over to Green Turtle Cay. Spend 2 nights at the Bluff House or the Green Turtle Club. Hop over from Treasure Cay to Marsh Harbour (MYAM) to grab gas. Overnight in Marsh but take a ferry to Elbow Cay and stay 2 nights on Elbow. I suggest the Abaco Inn or Hopetown Inn and Marina there. Tour the lighthouse and make sure to hit Firefly Resort.

From Marsh, fly down to Eleuthera (MYAH) and spend 2 nights exploring down there (side note, I just had a pineapple that was brought back to be from there that was absolutely amazing.

From MYEH, fly direct back to KFPR and then home.

I'm here until 7/7 if you get this way.

I can second the recommendation for Treasure Cay. One of the best beaches you will ever see, and not many people. With an airplane you can get to out of the way places like MYAT that the big cruise ships and airlines don't service.16795768897_e6f2fca32e_o.jpg16795768897_e6f2fca32e_o.jpg

Back