Attention NC19143 -TD

How hard could it be to get liability insurance for a carburetor??? That one puzzles me. According to Avweb, it's a matter of insurance expense but I can't picture it being that bad.

"Precision has seen its liability insurance premiums rise dramatically, to the point that the premium now exceeds the total sales dollars for this entire product line."

Here are a couple other manufacturers I found:

http://www.kellyaerospace.com/fuel.html

http://www.bingcarburetor.com/aircraft/aircraft.html

In the process, I also found at least one reason why insurance is so high. There was a 1995 aircraft accident using a carburetor that was purchased in 1968. Precision Airmotive had not even acquired the product line until 1990. The issue surrounded a fault float that was recommended for replacement. Facet and later Precision pushed for an AD issuance but the FAA refused.

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/data2/californiastatecases/h018266.pdf

It's bad. You've got people suing (and winning) even when you do nothing wrong. There's no indication that the vacuum pumps failed in the Carnahan crash. The evidence was that the pilot side AI had failed (both on the NTSB examination of the wreckage and by the pilot's statements to ATC) and he lost control while trying to fly via the copilot's AI. P-H was shown to be negligent for failing to warn people to replace their dry pumps and that they should have backups they were strictly negligent, collect $4Million dollars. Even with the notifications, this plane had recently replaced at least one pump, had two redundant ones, both were functioning but rule of science doesn't trump hysterical rule of law.

Hey, Tom:

Are these guys the only fish in the sea?

http://www.precisionairmotive.com/pr-carbdiscon.htm

. . . . and how much of a problem could this be in the industry?

HR

What is bad about this whole mess is that Precision has no competion, Kelly makes their parts but doesn't own the type certificate for the MA3XXX carbs.

Precision bought the production certificate and PMA from the defunk Marvel Corp. And right away started to modify the design by using 7 prior failures to gain FAA support of an AD that required a Single piece vanturi to replace the 2 piece venturi. (which came loose 7 times in nearly 50 years of service)

This modification cause the carbs to run rich and caused all sorts of problems, and pressure from the industry required them to rewrite the AD to allow the 2 piece vanturi to be placed back into the carb which cured the problem, but to use the single piece venturi they modified the fuel nozzle to adomize the fuel better so the 0-300 and the 0-200 would run richer than the OEM Marvel carbs would.

To prove my humble opinion you need only to read the AD (which has been rewritten twice) to see the problem that caused them to get sued and loose, which caused their insurance company to refuse to insure them on this product.

Quote the AD
98-01-06 Precision Airmotive Corporation:

snip the preamble

To prevent disruption of fuel flow to the engine resulting in failure to attain rated power, power loss in flight, and forced landings, accomplish the following:

(a) For Precision Airmotive Corporation Model MA-3A, MA-3PA, MA-3SPA, and MA4-SPA carburetors:

(1) If not previously accomplished, prior to further flight, inspect the carburetor to determine if a two-piece venturi is installed. Carburetors that have the letter "V" stamped or etched on the lower portion of the data plate, or that have a black, yellow, or blue data plate showing the Precision Airmotive Corporation name and logo, or that have a black Facet Aerospace Products data plate with a serial number beginning with 750, are already equipped with a one-piece venturi and no further action is necessary provided the engine does not subsequently run rough or experience power loss.
(2) If a two-piece venturi is installed, inspect the carburetor at each annual, 100-hour, or progressive inspection, to determine if the primary venturi is loose or missing. If either of these conditions is found, prior to further flight, repair the carburetor by installing a serviceable two-piece venturi or by installing a one-piece venturi in accordance with Precision Airmotive Service Bulletin (SB) No. MSA-2, Revision 1, dated November 11, 1991, Revision 2, dated December 28, 1993, or Revision 3, dated October 10, 1995. Installing a one-piece venturi constitutes terminating action for the repetitive inspection requirements of this paragraph.

(3) If a one-piece venturi is already installed, or installed in accordance with sub-paragraph (2) of this paragraph, and the engine subsequently runs rough or experiences power loss, accomplish either of the following:

(i) Modify the carburetor in accordance with paragraphs (c), (d) or (e) of this AD, as applicable; or

(ii) Install a carburetor containing a two-piece venturi and resume the repetitive inspections required by paragraph (a)(2) of this AD.
(b) For Precision Airmotive Corporation Model MA-3 series carburetors: at the next annual, 100-hour, or progressive inspection, whichever occurs first, after the effective date of this AD, inspect the carburetor to determine if the primary venturi is loose or missing. If either of these conditions are found, prior to further flight, repair the carburetor by installing a serviceable two-piece venturi, or replace the entire carburetor with a serviceable carburetor. Repeat this inspection at each annual, 100-hour, or progressive inspection.

(c) For Precision Airmotive Corporation Model MA-3SPA series carburetors with part numbers (P/N) 10-4894 or 10-4115-1, installed on Teledyne Continental Model O-200A series engines modified on or after the effective date of this AD by installing a one-piece venturi, install a new fuel nozzle in accordance with Precision Airmotive SB MSA-7, dated September 30, 1994, at the time of installation of the one-piece venturi.
(d) For Precision Airmotive Corporation Model MA-3SPA series carburetors with P/Ns 10-4895, 10-4439, or 10-3237, installed on Teledyne Continental Model O-300 or C-145 series engines modified on or after the effective date of this AD by installing a one-piece venturi, install a new fuel nozzle in accordance with Precision Airmotive SB No. MSA-8, dated July 10, 1995, at the time of installation of the one-piece venturi.
(e) For Precision Airmotive Corporation Model MA-3SPA series carburetors with P/Ns 10-4240, 10-4252, 10-4252-1, or 10-4457, installed on Teledyne Continental Model C-75, C-85, or C-90 series engines modified on or after the effective date of this AD by installing a one-piece venturi, install a new fuel nozzle in accordance with Precision Airmotive SB No. MSA-9, dated October 10, 1995, at the time of installation of the one-piece venturi.

In My Humble Opinion they brought this on them selves by taking a good carb and modifing it to sell parts and once notified these modifications did not work they modified the modified carb again and again and made even worse.

They knew the carb was messed up, they continued to sell it, and they hurt a couple pilots and got sued. and they lost big time. (480 mil) and now want the industry to bail them out.

The problem in this industry is the inability of the FAA to ease the certification rules and get new products introduced to promote competion in the industry, If Precision had competion this problem would have been solved long ago or they would have dropped the product due to the lack of sales.

and we wouldn't be here.

Hold onto your old marvel scheblers, boys, you might be onto a gold mine :D

From What I understand Kelly aerospace will be doing overhauls, but Precision will not be shipping any new.

Suffice it to say I knew I was directing my question to the right person.

HR

Back