sddiver

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
SDDiver
Good news?

Dianne Feinstein said:
Dear Mr. ******:

Thank you for writing to express your concerns about proposals to privatize the Federal Aviation Administration's (FAA) Air Traffic Control System. I appreciate hearing your views as an FAA employee, and I sincerely apologize for the delay in my response, which was in part the result of ongoing legislative developments.

I believe that the existence of the FAA is critical to ensuring a safe and efficient aerospace system in our country, and I strongly support its mission. In my view, it is unacceptable to continue funding FAA through stop-gap measures, particularly when safety critical employees, such as air traffic controllers, are required to work without pay in the event of a government shutdown or lapse in authorization.

Congress is expected to take up a long-term FAA authorization bill before the current authorization expires in March 2016. I understand you are concerned by reports that the House of Representatives is considering proposals to privatize air traffic control, in negotiation with airlines and air traffic controller unions. However, the legislation has not been drafted or publically released yet.

Please know that I have carefully noted your opposition to any privatization of FAA's operations, and will be mindful of your letter when the Senate considers authorization legislation in the future.

Again, thank you for your letter. I hope you will continue to contact me regarding issues of importance to you. Should you have any further questions or comments, please do not hesitate to contact my Washington, D.C., office at (202) 224-3841.

Best regards.

Sincerely yours,
Dianne Feinstein
United States Senator

Bold emphasis mine.

Back