AOPA Rusty Pilots course

roncachamp

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Steven P McNicoll
This is a screenshot from Chapter 2, Preflight & Preparation. I selected 3,000 feet, what are your thoughts on the course response?

Attachments

• Rusty pilot.png
    Rusty pilot.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 131
This is a screenshot from Chapter 2, Preflight & Preparation. I selected 3,000 feet, what are your thoughts on the course response?
Yeah, yeah, 3000 is ok because it’s below 3000 AGL. Have you written them and called them out on this flagrant error of theirs.

Yeah, yeah, 3000 is ok because it’s below 3000 AGL. Have you written them and called them out on this flagrant error of theirs.
Not yet. The error is repeated in the end of chapter quiz.

WEELLLLL, it is Florida. So in some places 3000 MSL maybe greater than 3000 AGL. :D :D

Not sure of any place in Florida below sea level. Any hole dug here fills up with water pretty fast.

It’s an AOPA rusty pilot course. Why would you fly your business jet at 3500 feet? The answer is a high as you can.

Had a rather interesting exchange with AOPA Pilot Information Center on this.

Me: "This is a screenshot from Chapter 2, Preflight & Preparation. I selected 3,000 feet, that was deemed to be an incorrect answer. 3,000 MSL is an appropriate altitude for VFR operations because it is below 3,000 AGL, the altitude where the hemispheric rule begins."

AOPA: "VFR altitudes start in altitudes ABOVE 3000', so in this case eastbound would be odds plus 500 which should yield a 3500' cruising altitude."

Me: "An MSL altitude is an altitude expressed in feet measured from mean sea level. An AGL altitude is an altitude expressed in feet measured above ground level. The hemispheric rule for VFR cruising altitudes begins above 3000 feet AGL. A flight from KSRQ to KSEF flown at 3000 feet MSL is entirely below 3000 feet AGL, making 3,000 a correct response to this question."

AOPA: "You are correct. We should not have listed 3000’ as a choice. The course developer has this on her list to correct along with the quiz question at the end of the chapter.

"Thanks for pointing this out. I hope you enjoyed the course regardless."

Nice catch. And glad to see they respond and will correct it.

Always good when a pilot proof reads the information and reports a mistake.

Had a rather interesting exchange with AOPA Pilot Information Center on this.

Me: "This is a screenshot from Chapter 2, Preflight & Preparation. I selected 3,000 feet, that was deemed to be an incorrect answer. 3,000 MSL is an appropriate altitude for VFR operations because it is below 3,000 AGL, the altitude where the hemispheric rule begins."

AOPA: "VFR altitudes start in altitudes ABOVE 3000', so in this case eastbound would be odds plus 500 which should yield a 3500' cruising altitude."

Me: "An MSL altitude is an altitude expressed in feet measured from mean sea level. An AGL altitude is an altitude expressed in feet measured above ground level. The hemispheric rule for VFR cruising altitudes begins above 3000 feet AGL. A flight from KSRQ to KSEF flown at 3000 feet MSL is entirely below 3000 feet AGL, making 3,000 a correct response to this question."

AOPA: "You are correct. We should not have listed 3000’ as a choice. The course developer has this on her list to correct along with the quiz question at the end of the chapter.

"Thanks for pointing this out. I hope you enjoyed the course regardless."
You should get like a finders fee or sumpin'

I don't believe I'm familiar with those questions.
The instrument test has some doozies, which is good for business for some test prep people (they actually tell you which questions require an obviously wrong answer) but a major pain for the people taking the test

The instrument test has some doozies, which is good for business for some test prep people (they actually tell you which questions require an obviously wrong answer) but a major pain for the people taking the test
It's been over forty years since I took that test. I'm confident the test I took was very different from the tests today.

When did you take the test? Do you recall the questions that are wrong?

Back