AOPA Aviation Summit (Formerly Expo)

epubs@aopa

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
epubs@aopa
Good Morning all,

I hope your Labor Day weekends were awesome; I have some info about the annual AOPA Aviation event. It's now called Summit and is in Tampa, Florida this November. A short description and link follows!

-epubs

Aviation Summit: A new look and feel for AOPA Expo
Wondering what’s happened to AOPA Expo? To build on Expo’s ever-expanding popularity, AOPA took a close look at its annual fall event and gave it a major overhaul to take it to the next level. This year, we’re reaching for the summit—AOPA Aviation Summit. In many ways, AOPA Aviation Summit will be similar to the Expo you’ve been familiar with for more than a decade: an exhibit hall filled with hundreds of pilot products, dozens of educational seminars, and a state-of-the art aircraft display. But that’s just a fraction of AOPA Aviation Summit. Click to learn more.

Maybe.

I enjoyed the Expo in 2005 when it was in Tampa. Weather was great. They had a nice shuttle service from the exhibition hall over to Peter O Knight field where we could ogle the new airplanes. I also met Doc Bruce, Ron, Adam, Mike and Lance Flynn there that year. It was a blue board hall of fame meetup! And since my family used to live near there, I knew we should go to the Columbia restaurant for dinner. :cheerswine:

I'd go again if I didn't already have other plans this year.

I went to the one in Philly. It was OK, but I wouldn't travel a great distance to go again.

I've been to a couple. If they're near enough to me I'll go again. I won't travel to one unless there's going to be a "how to kidnap/torture TSA management" seminar.

I've been to a couple. If they're near enough to me I'll go again. I won't travel to one unless there's going to be a "how to kidnap/torture TSA management" seminar.

Almost. Lockheed Martin had a booth in Connecticut.

->"What up?"
"We screwed up." :D

I've gone to a couple that were notable for the rain. Florida in November sounds like a better idea.

BTW - I'm impressed that AOPA came to us.

Well, it's Nov 5 - 7, and I'll be on the way down to the Bahamas around then, so we won't be far away. Maybe I'll stop in.

Nah, probably not!

I'll be in Huntsville the following weekend. Don't think I'm going to make two trips east that close together. And I can't justify wasting the days in between.

Good Morning all,

I hope your Labor Day weekends were awesome; I have some info about the annual AOPA Aviation event. It's now called Summit and is in Tampa, Florida this November. A short description and link follows!

-epubs

Whae are ya gonna hold one in nice, centrally located, Lincoln, NE?

Lincoln, NE- in the middle of everything

When I asked Boyer about that back when, he said that they had to have a certain number of pilots living within x hundred miles of the event, and that those conditions don't exist even in Chicago. So it's not likely that they'll find them in Nebraska.

A summit??? Will Gorby be there??

After a review of the forums and events what has really changed? A new name perhaps? Nothing to lure me to Tampa in November...

Not Gorby. But I'm on a medical panel 3:30 on Friday and 11:00 Saturday....

Good Morning all,

-epubs

Aviation Summit: A new look and feel for AOPA Expo
Wondering what’s happened to AOPA Expo? To build on Expo’s ever-expanding popularity, AOPA took a close look at its annual fall event and gave it a major overhaul to take it to the next level. This year, we’re reaching for the summit—AOPA Aviation Summit. In many ways, AOPA Aviation Summit will be similar to the Expo you’ve been familiar with for more than a decade: an exhibit hall filled with hundreds of pilot products, dozens of educational seminars, and a state-of-the art aircraft display. But that’s just a fraction of AOPA Aviation Summit. Click to learn more.

Gee, its just too bad that AOPA defends nothing in aviation anymore, otherwise it might be a worthy cause :rolleyes:

Yeah. This is my opportunity to spend a little time with the AOPA brass. I was pretty hard on Bruce Landsberg at the Kansas City ACA meeting.....basically saying they were behaving like an intrabeltway governmental agency rather than our political lobby. But that's NOT on the agenda. Medical Certification IS!

Agreed!!! It bounces between COASTS each year; host it in Kansas City, or Dallas, or Oklahoma one year--anything other than Chicago, of course.

I've not been, yet, due to the distances and costs to either coast. Host it in the middle of the country one year, and I'll be there.

That's why we are called fly-over country. Even our own hate us. Maybe not hate. Just think we aren't worth their time.

ive never really understood the point of the aopa expo. what do they do there? what function does it serve that isnt covered by other trade shows? from everything ive heard, i don't know that i would go even if it was nearby

ive never really understood the point of the aopa expo. what do they do there? what function does it serve that isnt covered by other trade shows? from everything ive heard, i don't know that i would go even if it was nearby

It's the AOPA annual meeting, among the other things.

Ah yes. I liked the one at Osh this year where they had put up a projection screen, lots of pamphlets, a presentation, even a wireless mike - and then their ambitions were beaten down by the fact that only one (1) person was in attendance.

Serves them right. In fact, one of those clowns is sitting behind me at KSNA right now, doing his job (or nothing, really). Useless. Maybe I'll ask him why he is wasting my tax dollars.

-Felix

Agreed!!! It bounces between COASTS each year; host it in Kansas City, or Dallas, or Oklahoma one year--anything other than Chicago, of course.

I've not been, yet, due to the distances and costs to either coast. Host it in the middle of the country one year, and I'll be there.

6Y9 :) But I think Ed would have to get power and internet first:cornut:

It's the AOPA annual meeting, among the other things.

Nope, that's a separate event. Used to be held every year at Wings Field, birthplace of the AOPA. This year it was in Frederick MD at the home office. I suppose ol' Craig Fuller isn't one for tradition.

Heck, forget the politics -- go for the aircraft static display!!!

One thing I remember from Hartford. Adam had the A500 on display. I was interested, but it was cordoned off. "Can I take a look see inside?" "Not unless you have an official invitation." Hmm. No invite, no looksee. Stroll over to Piper. "Neat Matrix, can I go inside?" "Sure - go right ahead. Climb into the pilots seat if you want to. Make yourself at home."

One thing I remember from Hartford. Adam had the A500 on display. I was interested, but it was cordoned off. "Can I take a look see inside?" "Not unless you have an official invitation." Hmm. No invite, no looksee. Stroll over to Piper. "Neat Matrix, can I go inside?" "Sure - go right ahead. Climb into the pilots seat if you want to. Make yourself at home."

Interesting concept, huh? Actually looking at something before you buy. And you did!

I used to see the Adam plane fly almost everyday when I lived under the pattern at Centennial where they were based. Too bad it didn't pan out.

...One thing I remember from Hartford. Adam had the A500 on display. I was interested, but it was cordoned off. "Can I take a look see inside?" "Not unless you have an official invitation." Hmm. No invite, no looksee. Stroll over to Piper. "Neat Matrix, can I go inside?" "Sure - go right ahead. Climb into the pilots seat if you want to. Make yourself at home."

That was the old New Piper. I understand at Oshkosh they wouldn't let anybody look hard at the jet.

Nope, that's a separate event. Used to be held every year at Wings Field, birthplace of the AOPA. This year it was in Frederick MD at the home office. I suppose ol' Craig Fuller isn't one for tradition.

Heck, forget the politics -- go for the aircraft static display!!!

This year AOPA is supposedly going to be opening the static displays up to a much wider audience. They're even reaching out to non-pilots and families, trying to drum up interest in GA.

That was the old New Piper. I understand at Oshkosh they wouldn't let anybody look hard at the jet.

I don't know that it's finished inside. They've been driving that thing pretty hard in testing. I know it flew at least 1-2x per day back in Dec when I was getting my plane. I'm pretty sure it's the test mule. They have a fancy mockup interior for the gawkers.

They REALLY push the jet on their PA46 customers. I bet if I called up they'd have some dog and pony show ready for me. It's all about the step up to the jet.

Thanks everyone for the comments and questions:

To Bill S., Anthony, Grant, Ghery, CT Arrow: As part of our strategy to fly-out to pilots and members, rather than have you all fly-in, we’re going to keep up with everything happening on our summit page. Much like our Oshkosh page, expect to see live Tweets from the show, Warren’s video blogs, AOPA Pilot video reports, interviews and coverage of the many events we’ll have in and around Peter O’Knight Airport.

This year we want to focus on improving the perception of general aviation. The more people that realize that pilots aren’t the clichéd individuals that everyone loves to lambast, the easier it is to fight for lower costs, smarter security and less “red tape”.

As said above by Grant, we want to expand the fan base from enthusiasts, pilots and members to include those who look up, but always put off getting interested in aviation for one reason or another. Expect activism, celebration and information.

Also, expect a special Summit Edition of ePilot that week, Web stories open to the public, and live Web casts from our Center Stage.

To iAm: This year we will continue the courtesy shuttle between KTPF and the convention center as well as run a ferry between the two destinations; enjoy your trip and catch the action and news online!

To Tim: You’ll have your opportunity to fire questions during a Q&A session with John Sammond (TSA Assistant Administrator) and TSA General Aviation Acting General Manager Brian Delauter on Friday Nov. 6th. (http://www.aopa.org/summit/news/2009/090903tsa.html)

To AuntPeggy: Much like how our promotions, AOPA Pilot, and Craig Fuller have gone out into the country (and world), we’re reaching out as much as we can online (despite the fact that, yes I agree, Florida in November is a great idea B) )

To Tony: Much like how Sun n Fun brands itself as “Spring Break” for pilots, we brand ourselves as the first big aviation event of 2010: taking all areas of aviation (from aircraft to learning to fly, other aviation groups to the future of aviation) and making our event the melting pot.

This aviation show is all about looking forward to what the next year will bring; if you are interested in aircraft, aviation, flying or just want to take a little time out and look around at what companies are planning for the holiday season or the next year, this is the place.

Keep them coming, I'm going to see if I can get anything else out about a mid-west convention or event.

-epubs

Last edited:

Well, it's a lot smaller than Sun 'n' Fun or OSH but if you're interested in the exhibitors that do show up, the nice thing is that you don't have to fight the crowd and you can spend a lot more time with them and get to the nitty-gritty of their products. There's so many people at OSH that it's hard to get more than a few questions asked before someone else walks in and starts asking the same ones you just finished with.

I'd go again if it was closer - Yet another vote from a non-coaster. Or, rather, a third coaster. Or a middle coaster. :)

You must have looked like you had money. I had to flash my media badge to get into the Matrix, and they weren't letting anyone into the jet mockup without a prior appointment.

You must have looked like you had money. I had to flash my media badge to get into the Matrix, and they weren't letting anyone into the jet mockup without a prior appointment.

Maybe it was that Trucker's Wallet chain attached to your belt????:fingerwag::yes::goofy::goofy::goofy:

Or maybe they said -- here comes the suckah!!! Let him THROUGH!!!!!

What kind of cruel parents would name their kid Epub?:dunno:

If you are going to come to our board to solicit our attendence, at least use you real name.

Dave: I'm in the ePublishing group (ePilot, eFlight Training, Web stories and such); while right now I'm the only one commenting and posting, other individuals have this account info. It's just easier to sign off as that.

But for your info, my name is Mitch.

Thanks!

Back