Anybody play an ashiko?

Maxmosbey

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
I need to get serious.
I was in Mexico on vacation earlier this month. We stayed in a little village called Los Ayala, which is close to Rincon de Guayabitos, which is next to La Penita. OK, so I was at a market in La Penita, and there was this guy selling a couple of hand made drums. They were nice drums, and I ended up buying one and dragging it home. I did a little research when I got home, and found out that it is an ashiko, which is related to the djembe. So I decided that am going to learn to play it. I found a lady who will give me lessons in April, but until then I bought a book and a DVD that I'm messing around with.

So I started talking about this drum, and I am surprised at how many people play djembes and ashikos. I thought that a 58 year old retired police officer who was learning to play a drum would be unique. Guess again, evidently there are a lot of old retired people who play drums. Evidently, there are a whole lot of people period who play drums. There is a whole community of drummers out there. They have these groups where any number of drummers just show up and play on their drums in unison. There are doctors and constructions workers, and democrats and republicans, and people from all walks of life, and they all get together to play the drums. The more the better. Anyway, this is crazy, but I have already learned a half dozen rhythms, and I haven't even started lessons yet. It is a lot of fun. Any drummers here?

Any drummers here?
Nope just musicians :D:D

What do you you call a guy who hangs around with musicians?

A Drummer

;)

You know you tell if the stage is level at a gig?

The drummer will be drooling out of both sides of his mouth!

What do you call a drummer with half a brain?
Gifted.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

A Drummer

;)

You know you tell if the stage is level at a gig?

The drummer will be drooling out of both sides of his mouth!

What do you call a drummer with half a brain?
Gifted.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Don't make me start with the bass player jokes! :D

Trapper John

A Drummer

;)

What do you call a drummer with no girlfriend?

Homeless.

I used to know a bunch more, but I guess I'm getting senile.

Last edited:
What do you call a drummer with no girlfriend?

Homeless.

I used to know a bunch more, but I guess I'm getting senile.

How can you tell if a drummer is at the door?

The knocking speeds up.

How do you get a drummer off your porch?

Pay him for the pizza.

How is a drum solo like a sneeze?

You can tell it's coming, but you can't do anything about it.

Why did the drummer stare at the frozen orange juice can?

Because it said, "concentrate".

Trapper John

Well, after the way the thread went I'm not sure I want to mention that Leslie was a PERCUSSIONIST (not drummer!) with the
Univ. of
Chicago Symphony Orchestra
(It was billed that way once when they played in Zagreb, IIRC.:rofl:) But I don't think she did much, if anything, with the ashiko!

Zagreb,

Thats where My grand Perant came from . i wanted to go there but my Grand father told me"Dave there is nothing there for you, Thats why we left" so i never went. Maybe someday i will go and see for myself.
Dave Gaiski (Yugoslavain decendant)

O for three.

I am a banjo player too. I don't think bass player jokes can even come close to the ribbing I get with the banjo!! :D:D:D

But at least I fly a real plane, a low wing! :D:D

Titleist is a better ball and made in the U. S.

My wife played drums in the 'Miss Burlington' pageant which she won and earned a spot in the 'Miss Iowa' pageant.

So I married a beauty queen drummer girl that can sing and likes to do construction work. I definitely married out of my league. ;)

Back