Anybody need a new Cadillac DTS?

Keith Lane

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Keith Lane
Still has the window sticker on it, too.....

Attachments

• DTS.jpg
    DTS.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 121
That clever locomotive reached in to open the trunk and the moon roof!

I never go past a track if I don't have a LOT of space beyond the track. I'm amazed at how many follow behind me and sit right on the track. It's only a matter of time.

I never go past a track if I don't have a LOT of space beyond the track. I'm amazed at how many follow behind me and sit right on the track. It's only a matter of time.

We had that tragedy I'm sure you heard about where the school bus got hit by a Metra train like that. In that case the bus was being held back by a red light on the busy crossroad opposite the tracks. The right move might have been to drive right through the light into the traffic but that goes against all that a driver could do.

Last edited:
All I Can Say is ................................................................OUCH
Dave G

We had that tragedy I'm sure you heard about where the school bus got hit by an Amtrak train like that. In that case the bus was being held back by a red light on the busy crossroad opposite the tracks. The right move might have been to drive right through the light into the traffic but that goes against all that a driver could do.
I've heard of such a story but can't recall any details. It sounds like the bus driver crossed over without having sufficient space between the track and the stop line at the intersection.

Sometimes, caution on the side of safety is going to tick off someone else. If that means holding back traffic that might be closer to the light or crossing the intersection, so be it. The driver needs to forget about everyone but those in their care and the safety of that vehicle.

It pretty much goes along with 91.3(b).

I've heard of such a story but can't recall any details. It sounds like the bus driver crossed over without having sufficient space between the track and the stop line at the intersection.

Sometimes, caution on the side of safety is going to tick off someone else. If that means holding back traffic that might be closer to the light or crossing the intersection, so be it. The driver needs to forget about everyone but those in their care and the safety of that vehicle.

It pretty much goes along with 91.3(b).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fox_River_Grove_level_crossing_accident

Correction. It was a Metra commuter train, I thought it was an Amtrak express going 70-90MPH.

Last edited:
We spent a couple of years as expert witnesses on the Fox River Grove accident. A horrible, horrible tragedy. We get the dubious luxury of reviewing ALL the photos. If people could only see the destruction an accident such as that causes, maybe more people would pay attention to the tracks and the danger they pose. Even the cops around here will sit on the tracks right by our office while at the red light on the other side. Just sittin' there typing away on their laptop. Not a care in the world.....

We had that tragedy I'm sure you heard about where the school bus got hit by a Metra train like that. In that case the bus was being held back by a red light on the busy crossroad opposite the tracks. The right move might have been to drive right through the light into the traffic but that goes against all that a driver could do.
That was a substitute driver that day as well, albeit a supervisor driver. IMHO she should have known better

We spent a couple of years as expert witnesses on the Fox River Grove accident. A horrible, horrible tragedy. We get the dubious luxury of reviewing ALL the photos. If people could only see the destruction an accident such as that causes, maybe more people would pay attention to the tracks and the danger they pose. Even the cops around here will sit on the tracks right by our office while at the red light on the other side. Just sittin' there typing away on their laptop. Not a care in the world.....
That was a local event for me, I pass through that intersection each day. I missed that accident by about 10 minutes that day. Very sad. What really annoyed me was days later I see local police cars still crossing the tracks and stopping on them to wait for red lights.

BTW I still blame the bus driver for that. Her actions were what caused that, not the signals nor the intersection. She pulled onto the tracks and did not make sure she was clear.

It still amazed me that the cab of the bus did look so much intact. IT was like it was just removed from the frame and set down on the ground.

<SNIP> Even the cops around here will sit on the tracks right by our office while at the red light on the other side. Just sittin' there typing away on their laptop. Not a care in the world.....

<SNIP> What really annoyed me was days later I see local police cars still crossing the tracks and stopping on them to wait for red lights.<SNIP>

In Hillsborough, NJ one of the local constabulary setup a speed trap on the tracks- the freight trains used the track regularly. I saw him as I was passing the tracks- he gave me a ticket for being 5 over the speed limit and a safety lecture:nono:.

When I saw him he was well away from the road sitting squarely on the tracks.

Hillsborough uses traffic tickets for revenue generation- I often saw their cops on farms hiding behind the big round hay cylinders.

Attachments

• dumbcop.jpg
    dumbcop.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 9
Back